Guiding for foreigners...

Hi there ..I'd just like to ask s question hope some of you here can answer ..I'm a professional guide in Europe just coming up to retirement I work in a special and specific area I trace ..history of soldiers from both world war 1 and 2 in Europe including unit battles where they fought or died I trace the the area of battle and cemeteries where many rest. I've been doing this for 30 years it's not just touring it's the whole story of these young men from beginning to end ...Now the question first I know We as in Foreigners cannot work as tour guides (unless you are Russian as it does not seem to matter they are everywhere )..I'm here for the long term and don't want to tread on the toes of immigration..I would love to be able to continue what I do here in Thailand  regarding WW2 ...95 % of my clients are Australian and I get many requests to go to visit areas here of interest ref .. cemeteries ect ..not yet taken up the work  .is there a way I can do it legally ..I know it's a long shot but perhaps someone has had the same thing.  Tks 

WW2? Didn't think Thailand was involved?  Interesting.  Have you looked into getting a work permit for this?

10 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

would love to be able to continue what I do here in Thailand  regarding WW2

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

WW2? Didn't think Thailand was involved?  Interesting.  Have you looked into getting a work permit for this?

Involved wrt being a base for the Japanese. There are 7000 graves at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Involved wrt being a base for the Japanese. There are 7000 graves at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.

Yes mate I visit here at least 5...6 times a year Kanch and Hellfire pass probably the most important places for me here in Thailand ..I know of Many families who have. Graves there many want to come and tour with me many already toured in Europe with us ..I'd love to do more here but ... Immigration..no possibility of a guiding permit...so many people missing out on family history...thanks for your reply mate 

In Thailand, the way to avoid violating rules on occupations reserved for Thais is to call the service something else. Maybe, you will be a military conflict expert or something. The biggest problem is that you will need to have an employer. You cannot get a work permit for something like this as an individual.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Such a sobering experience to walk through the cemetery in Kanchanaburi.

Very touching words and to read, ages often early 20,s. 

I once went there for reenactment of war battle. Think it's an annual thing.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Such a sobering experience to walk through the cemetery in Kanchanaburi.

Very touching words and to read, ages often early 20,s. 

I once went there for reenactment of war battle. Think it's an annual thing.

Yes I have done that too, and it is sobering. I can see the good in what the OP wants to do, but I don't see any provision to permit it. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

How does that give him visa to be in Thailand.

I don't think staying in Thailand would be an issue for OP.  He stated that he is doing this work already 30 years, so I presume he will be +50 years of age, and thus eligible for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

The main issue is whether he can guide people visiting thai WW2 sites.  Obviously on a Non Imm O, that cannot be done officially as it would be considered 'work'.  Not sure if there are other options for doing it, a Non Imm B or WorkPermit connected to a marriage Visa?

Considering that his main customers would be UK and Australian family members from WW2-veterans, he might possible set-up a business in UK and Australia with a local website to advertise WW2 Thai Guiding Tour options.  When the contract (and the payment) for the service are done in UK or OZ, it might be possible to do such 'private guidings' but best to seek good legal advice as it would be border-line legit because of the fee he would charge for it.  

When my friends/relatives come over, I also guide them when they visit me in Thailand.  But the difference is of course that I am not paid for it, and so I do not consider it work.  Some might disagree even on that, I remember a post from a TVF member who refuses to help his wife loading the supermarket groceries in the car, as he considered that 'work', and he meant that seriously. ????

Edited by Peter Denis

11 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

would the kanchanaburi war cemetery/museum be able to sponsor him getting a visa to do limited work as a foreign expert translator/guide for foreign groups.

Hello mate is thought about this but I'd be treading on the toes of a resident Thai guide there and earning Great salery I won't go into his much but more than compatible with European Guides wages back home ..fair play to him ..but don't think they would be happy to be sharing it ..but yes I'd thought about that..I already work with our company out of Oz in Europe and have a lot of interest from clients who want to tour  but with Aussie... British guides a lot can be lost in. Translation I see it in France with guides there ..Tks for the suggestion mate