Coronavirus? You should be more worried about Thailand’s deadly roads - 1602 killed so far in 2020

webfact

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

So basically you're saying you would be happy to go to Wuhan for your easter break?

I don't celebrate "easter" and whether or not I'd go to China now has nothing to do with anything in my post, nor this thread. But something that does pertain to this topic and is truly frightening is that I'll be driving here and on some buses and mini-buses too and that is infinitely more scary and dangerous than than this "bug".

A month or few from now this will be in the rear view mirror and long forgotten. You'll be fretting over the next overblown media craze and I'll be carrying on as usual...assuming these worst drivers on the planet don't take me out before then. 

(BTW...in favor of whatever it takes to bring the bulletproof THB back down to Earth) :coffee1:

• Sad 1

But you don't see people dealing with road accidents dressed up in bio hazard suits like they are using in China to avoid being contaminated with a disease they tell us is not that bad after all as long as you are not over 60. I can avoid road accidents not so sure about this virus.

• Confused 1

Footage on uk news is showing people being dragged from home by police and forced into isolation/treatment centres in Wuhan.

I'm not sure how to interpret that apart from saying it doesn't look as though things are improving.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, Logosone said:

I've travelled the world and the seven seas. I thought I'd seen it all. I have never seen such idiotic driving as in Thailand. 

How is it possible that an ostensibly well mannered people drives in such an inconsiderate, reckless and dangerous way? I've never seen anything like it.

No indicating! When you change lane the car behind you actually speeds up to prevent you from doing so. Scooters driving into you. Cars driving into you at speed. Nobody giving way when you change lanes. Lanes appearing out of nowhere. Lanes disappearing out of the blue.

Why is nobody doing anthing? They knew I was coming!

Totally agree but nothing that we can do except trying to avoid to die because of these idiots.

20 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Richard Barrow in Thailand

13 mins · 

The Thai Minister of Public Health today angrily said all of those [CENSORED] farang tourists should be kicked out of Thailand if they refuse to wear face masks. He went on to say that the Chinese and other Asian tourists accepted the face masks he handed out, but not those [CENSORED] European tourists.

* The word I censored is ไอ้พวกฝรั่งนักท่องเที่ยว which is a very derogatory way to refer to people. I don’t want to say it in English. The last part is “farang tourist” meaning Caucasians.

Welcome to Thailand. The Land of Smiles.

amazing.

just for interest - there is discussion that the AhChooFlu is transmitted via fecal matter and poor personal hygiene more so than by exhaled airborne particulates. reasoning is that the spread rate is highest in countries (china, others...ahem) without traditional western toilets and toilet habits - poop holes in the floor (asian toilets), lack of toilet paper usage (vs water in a finger bowel) and poor post 'job' cleanup (washing hands), lack of disposable hand wipes (paper towels for drying hands).

then hands touch lots of other surfaces that you touch every day without giving it a second thought.

the open air exposure of foods at the supermarkets and the local markets is scary enough, and don't even think about the food hygiene practices of some of the food prep people in the 'village kitchens'.

also this virus is small, like smaller than what the average face mask is able to prevent being inhaled. oh, and those masks are really supposed to stop germs that are exhaled, not inhaled. also, latex gloves are micro-porous and the virus is small enough to penetrate latex... 

well I suppose masks and latex gloves may help but certainly don't sound like a 100% preventative, but at least people feel safer.

I'll add that I don't see people laying on the street dying in Thailand, don't see news reports of the tens of thousands sick with AhChooFlu here, people are still out and about shopping, going to work, socializing, etc. Perhaps the "news" is mostly hype and scare and light on perspective and truth.

Edited by glennb6

44 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

amazing.

just for interest - there is discussion that the AhChooFlu is transmitted via fecal matter and poor personal hygiene more so than by exhaled airborne particulates. reasoning is that the spread rate is highest in countries (china, others...ahem) without traditional western toilets and toilet habits - poop holes in the floor (asian toilets), lack of toilet paper usage (vs water in a finger bowel) and poor post 'job' cleanup (washing hands), lack of disposable hand wipes (paper towels for drying hands).

then hands touch lots of other surfaces that you touch every day without giving it a second thought.

the open air exposure of foods at the supermarkets and the local markets is scary enough, and don't even think about the food hygiene practices of some of the food prep people in the 'village kitchens'.

also this virus is small, like smaller than what the average face mask is able to prevent being inhaled. oh, and those masks are really supposed to stop germs that are exhaled, not inhaled. also, latex gloves are micro-porous and the virus is small enough to penetrate latex... 

well I suppose masks and latex gloves may help but certainly don't sound like a 100% preventative, but at least people feel safer.

I'll add that I don't see people laying on the street dying in Thailand, don't see news reports of the tens of thousands sick with AhChooFlu here, people are still out and about shopping, going to work, socializing, etc. Perhaps the "news" is mostly hype and scare and light on perspective and truth.

It's a flu type virus, a new one, and so far it would appear a difficult one for the human immune system to fight.

At some point somewhere someones immune system will manage to do that and with a bit of luck damage the virus and make it vulnerable in it's changed state. 'Normal' seasonal flu in its forms is vulnerable to our immune system in the vast majority of cases.

With no firm reports on any mutations yet that point doesn't seem to have been reached. Maybe those reported as 'recovered' will be the kick start for that situation.

Edit.

Image of seasonal flu virus. Very similar to the new one. Same idea just different receptors????

influenza.png

Edited by overherebc

On 2/6/2020 at 10:55 PM, Saint Nick said:

Yeah...because crossing a busy street in bangkok is about the same, as being subjected to a (probably) deadly virus!

Because we are all looking at a pandemic of stupid drivers!

(Well...we kinda are, but...you know, what I mean!)

Who writes such crappy articles?

Perhaps Thai drivers should be held in quarantine and not permitted to drive until they have been attitude adjusted.

• Haha 1