Chinese tourism obliterated, but not to worry they'll be back at the double later, says minister

webfact

On 2/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You just know the country is like a circus when you get Government Ministers behaving like a clown. Who knows how long the virus situation will be with us, or how willing Chinese will be to travel afterwards? Such statements are just stupid nonsense.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:45 AM, rkidlad said:

Yes, all those poor people cooped up in their homes, worried to death and bored out of their brains, are just waiting for this to be over so they can come and help Thailand's ailing tourism.

All those people in their homes in Wuhan are now shouting from their windows, "Stay strong, Thailand!". Jesus wept. 

VAT , a  Virus Added Tax ,  nice little earner , for the  goverment ..

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Some Chinese might start thinking about leaving for another nation to live in to get away from the lies and potential future viruses. As for visiting Thailand, tourists from all nations won't like what they see and hear about today's shooting.

They might not find themselves as welcome in other SEAsian holiday destinations, like Vietnam and Indonesia. I guess they've got Cambodia for now, but will the Filipinos be happy to receive them with their contentious claims over Filipino territory?

The Chinese will be back in record numbers...just wait and see. Then everyone again can negatively obsess on how the Chinese are so annoying, it will take away the negative obsession of the Thai folks, well sort of...I personally can't wait!

• Confused 1

You just know the country is like a circus when you get Government Ministers behaving like a clown. Who knows how long the virus situation will be with us, or how willing Chinese will be to travel afterwards? Such statements are just stupid nonsense.

thats why HE's a Government Minister !!!!!

• Haha 2

I would think they will not be back in Thailand a recovery sense until 2021 in large numbers.

Many of the Chinese may have had to use their Holiday savings to cope with shut downs and generally slower trade. I wish them well  ????.

Also it will be some time before the numbers that may have the virus, can be reduced to a level, to no longer be a risk for contagion. 

• Thanks 1

While the Chinese government also wants to "promote" Chinese people to be tourists in China it might be rather uncertain if the Chinese will be back in droves.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, codebunny said:

They might not find themselves as welcome in other SEAsian holiday destinations, like Vietnam and Indonesia. I guess they've got Cambodia for now, but will the Filipinos be happy to receive them with their contentious claims over Filipino territory?

If I read what Filipino friends write the welcome will not be very happy.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

That man is delusional. Sad.

Yes, and not a single word of sympathy for the suffering of the Chinese people back at home. As far as he's concerned, it's all about economics. There's no human element to this at all... the Chinese people are merely a commodity. After this is over, maybe they can find a friendlier place to visit.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, sambum said:

Is "gentile" herpes the sort that you catch from a "non believer"?

Or maybe you meant a less severe ("gentle"?) infection?

I can't understand what is "sad" about my post - maybe "flyingtiger" can explain?

On 2/9/2020 at 4:38 PM, hansnl said:

While the Chinese government also wants to "promote" Chinese people to be tourists in China it might be rather uncertain if the Chinese will be back in droves.

They will have to make it more affordable! which they could easily do, all the "poorer" Chinese I have spoken with consider a holiday within China too expensive, far cheaper to go to Thailand!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

They'll be back. Oh boy will they will be back. 

I wouldn't put money on it... Thailand is/was seen as the "In Place to Visit" & a bit of a Status Symbol in China, it wouldn't take too much for it to fall out of vogue (remember the 40+ Chinese tourists who died on the Tourist boat in Phuket?) & somewhere else to take it's crown.

I honestly think Thailand has blown it with the Chinese now, by the time this has all blown over they will have found another "In" destination to visit & it's not like the Chinese are afraid to travel, last time I was working in South Africa, my driver from the hotel told me that the majority of his passengers nowadays were from China, as did the driver on my last trip to Bali (A far superior holiday destination to Thailand unless you're looking for ladies of loose moral values & there are more than enough of those in China so why leave home)...

Edited by Mike Teavee