Chinese tourism obliterated, but not to worry they'll be back at the double later, says minister

webfact

Why would you tell people like this, possibly getting their hopes up, which I imagine is his intent, when his analysis seems to have no basis in fact. He's just preparing the population to keep their business model the same, cause he thinks in a few months, numbers will be higher then ever.

with  so many uncertainties about the causes of the virus and the modes of transmission of this virus, it is, unfortunately going to be a long haul and cause of concern to all economies around the world. i  would  start think about diversification rather than being dependent on limited revenue sources.

6 minutes ago, aussienam said:

He must have a magical crystal ball.  I need one for next weeks Lotto numbers!

more like hoping against hope. this episode of corona virus looks like a long haul. started in Dec 2019 and no signs of plataeuing. the fatalities and infections are still on the rise and no one is any frame of mind to think of vacationing (the chinese i mean).

39 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well Minister, I shouldn't be a bit surprised if a couple of million Chinese tourist do come in the near future...but by then Thailand will be an officially recognised annex of China. And no I'm not joking. That's what I've read elsewhere that both the USA and Europe see Thailand as moving closer to the far east. But this year? Nope, I don't think so.

Maybe more will come if other destinations say no  

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

In Google translate it is suggested as b'stard tourists ????

Fine, the Minister if he wants that to happen should implement Martial Law and arrest all farangs and we all should be sent to immigration detention for deportation!  And all investment partnerships and trade from all Western countries withdrawn.  I hope this was just a one off vent of frustration other than a deep seated hatred to white western farang, but maybe there's some truth coming out how they really feel about us?  Plus the conflicting info - one wants us to wear masks, others saying "nothing to worry about"!

The Chinese have had there holiday time chinese new year which is very very inoirtant to them 

they maybe stuck in ther homes but i think next year they will go els where if this corona virus   stops 

i feeel sorry for them as i worked many years there and chinese new year is sometimes to only few days a year that they see there families and kids .

to everybody out there good luck  take care what u do and touch  and use good cleanleyness where possible     and hope this virus clears  and you do not get infected  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, moe666 said:

There are a few in Chiang Mai saw them walking around earlier but not many, more farangs out there walking and looking

Yesterday on a 737-700 CNX-Kunming, only about 50 passengers, and I was the only westerner on it.

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You just know the country is like a circus when you get Government Ministers behaving like a clown. Who knows how long the virus situation will be with us, or how willing Chinese will be to travel afterwards? Such statements are just stupid nonsense.

Perspective I guess. 

I saw it as intelligent nonsense. ????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

doesn't thailand have a new department addressing fake news ? and why only twice as many ? why not ten times as many ?

The TAT-Boss and The Minister of Tourism & Sports are exactly the same. They come up with totally fake numbers all the time, and no one questions them. 

It's funny and also very sad listening to all this coming out of the TAT and the Gov. I personally believe that this is only the starter, the main course is yet to come, namely China planting the flag on the big Gold building on the river and telling the Thais to get back growing rice or it's gulag time.......   Had some great times in Thailand and met some of the funniest characters, sadly it's only distant memories now..........  Gone are the days of the old Thermae .......  I've already moved, glad i have...........

• Like 1

Cheap flights available from June. 

2.8 billion Chinese booked already. 

Double the population and as it was cheap, they booked each 5 holidays ti Pattaya. 

That's 14 billion Chinese coming and each spending 30.000 baht a day and staying at least 150 days, each holiday. 

Just now, AlfHuy said:

Cheap flights available from June. 

2.8 billion Chinese booked already. 

Double the population and as it was cheap, they booked each 5 holidays ti Pattaya. 

That's 14 billion Chinese coming and each spending 30.000 baht a day and staying at least 150 days, each holiday. 

And 854 new hotels will be build to cater for those high end tourists, all 6 star hotel. 

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I saw it for myself that they were back in double already, yes two Chinese Nationals in Lumpini Park taking photos.  Yes they have doubled.....lol.  They are delusional with the expectations of a recovery.  Time to move on folks, Nothing to see here......

Saw at least as many Chinese tourists in Hanoi as in Bangkok...

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But he has said that in the second half of the year twice as many as usual will flood back to Thailand.

The airports have problems with the normal flight loads pre virus.  How in hell could they handle twice those pre virus numbers?

So, Thailand is still letting in 3,000 Chinese a day that potentially have the virus.  The bigwigs must be gnashing their teeth that China has stopped the group tours.  At least China has some concern for the safety of the Thai people; pity Thailand's leaders have none.

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You just know the country is like a circus when you get Government Ministers behaving like a clown. Who knows how long the virus situation will be with us, or how willing Chinese will be to travel afterwards? Such statements are just stupid nonsense.

Non of us know how the the Virus will stay active, and how long after that the situation is declared as " safe ". This period may be some considerable time.

The one thing that is certain from this, is that Thailand has done its self no favours in courting the Chinese Tourists whilst other Countries have closed Borders Etc during this virus outbreak.

Future Potential Tourists from all over the Globe will be looking at the current situation, and when it comes to their vacation, they will certainly look at other more attractive alternatives than Thailand.

And if Thailand continues in the same manner as before, with hoards of Tourists from China everywhere, this will also put many more Tourists off visiting the Nation.

• Like 1

Nobody knows a thing about his past, nor how Pipat made his fortune. Yet, he knows all. He is a seer, and can predict the future. We all must take comfort, that with his vision and wisdom, the common Thai is being looked after. After all, this administration is a pure meritocracy, right?

For Pipat I offer this advice. The line between ambition and obsession can be much thinner than one might imagine. You would be well served to look down and see exactly where you are standing.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2