Is it me or just bad luck? Fed up!

giddyup

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Most Thai sales staff recommend against TCL, Chinese brand. Sony has had circuitry problems. Panasonic and Toshiba are reliable brands.

Be of good cheer, we TV posters are here to comfort you with supportive messages if your TV is on the fritz.

My first choice was Panasonic as I've had zero problems with any of the three I've owned, but I was put off with all the HDMI and USB connections at the back making difficult to access.

Just now, giddyup said:

My first choice was Panasonic as I've had zero problems with any of the three I've owned, but I was put off with all the HDMI and USB connections at the back making difficult to access.

The software on TV's differs from brand to brand, so one TV will play e.g. a .mkv or .ogv file extension and another one won't. Buy a set-top such as a mxQ or Bauhn, plug it in to either the HDMI or USB connection on the TV, and most problems are solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The software on TV's differs from brand to brand, so one TV will play e.g. a .mkv or .ogv file extension and another one won't. Buy a set-top such as a mxQ or Bauhn, plug it in to either the HDMI or USB connection on the TV, and most problems are solved.

The Sony will play every type of file I've thrown at it including HEVC, but the out of sync problem wouldn't be solved with a box.

3 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I noticed in  a previous post that you purchased your TV from Numchai, Pattaya.

A few years ago I purchased a Samsung TV from them and they delivered to me a a demo TV which had been on in the shop all day.

They denied they did this, but there were dark patches on the screen and the corner casing was damaged. I wouldn't accept it and the delivery boys took it back basically admitting to me that it was an old model. When I returned to the shop the model I had bought was missing. Numchai eventually replaced the TV about a week later.

That TV then went wrong after about 15 months, dark line across the top. Guarantee finished, Samsung fixed it 9000 Baht. About 8 months later all the HDMI and USB ports went down, Samsung fixed 6000 Baht. A year later dark line along the bottom, Samsung this time wanted 18000 Baht to fix it. This time gave up no more Samsung.

A local TV repairer advised me not to buy the expensive Brand name TVs because the components were the same in all of them. I then bought TCL TV from Power Buy 2 years ago, no problems (touch wood).

I agree with you that the older TVs last longer, I have a Sony 32 inch that's about 10 years old and still works perfectly.

I have never bought anything else from Numchai and never will.

Numchai have been very good to me, they took back the TCL and let me exchange it for the Sony, they also sent out someone ,3 times to try and rectify the problem, so I can't fault them.

• Like 1

I bought a Toshiba once and it wouldn't switch on ....  took it back and got a Panasonic, had it 12 years and still working faultless.  I always try to buy anything electrical in Panasonic as their quality inside is higher than that of most others. 

7 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

So good to you that they have sold you 2 dodgy TVs.

Numchai don't make the TV's they only sell them. I have bought other TV's as well as Hifi, fridges, etc without any problems, so your comment is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

You said it yourself, Panasonics are working fine, thus that and Toshiba brand would be recommended.

Sony are hardly a down-market brand, still one of the top selling TV's. All brands will produce a product with faults occasionally, be it TV's, washing machines, cars or whatever.

• Like 1

I think you will find that the issue of the TV turning off is in the settings, ie many new tV's have a timer whereby if the TV is not changed ie volume , channel etc it will turn off! This can be changed in the settings, not to happen.

As to the TVs, well the LG models that are made in Thailand are very good and well priced!

I find it hard to belive the TV is the cause of Audio delay etc, this is usually a network issue.

Best Paul

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

Numchai don't make the TV's they only sell them. I have bought other TV's as well as Hifi, fridges, etc without any problems, so your comment is ridiculous.

Perhaps they are selling factory refurbs as new. If so I can understand the issues people are having..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

I think you will find that the issue of the TV turning off is in the settings, ie many new tV's have a timer whereby if the TV is not changed ie volume , channel etc it will turn off! This can be changed in the settings, not to happen.

As to the TVs, well the LG models that are made in Thailand are very good and well priced!

I find it hard to belive the TV is the cause of Audio delay etc, this is usually a network issue.

Best Paul

A TV can cause an audio sync issue. My LG has a sync +and - in the setting area.

• Like 1

I think it is just a luck of the draw!!!

I bought a 55" Samsung from Numchai 6 years ago and have not had any problems since.

All tv brands and anything electrical develop faults over time it is just how regular they happen. I must admit it is really annoying if your tv is still quite new.

38 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

I think it is just a luck of the draw!!!

I bought a 55" Samsung from Numchai 6 years ago and have not had any problems since.

All tv brands and anything electrical develop faults over time it is just how regular they happen. I must admit it is really annoying if your tv is still quite new.

Couple of years back, I had a Samsung 55", lasted 13 months before the power supply blew, had to pay for it to be repaired, 5 months later it blew again and couldn't be fixed. Samsung said "tough luck", and I'll never buy another Samsung product.

I have LG now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong, but I do some pretty cool things with my TV - Control surround system and lighting and stream movies from the NAS over wifi. 

I never experience any issues with the hardware. Sometimes I need to do a little programming, but I can find the answer on reddit, when needed.

I never have so many issues as you post. Do you ever get the feeling its you? Maybe you did something wrong in a previous life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, giddyup said:

which cost me an extra 4000 baht.

Could have bought at least two Android TV boxes for that - they will play anything, and stream anything. Easier to upgrade than a TV, and easy to replace if they break. Mine are still going 3 years later.

8 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Could have bought at least two Android TV boxes for that - they will play anything, and stream anything. Easier to upgrade than a TV, and easy to replace if they break. Mine are still going 3 years later.

How does a box rectify a fault in the TV? The previous TV was a 42" the new Sony is 55", will a box do that?

• Thanks 1