Thai soldier kills 'many' in shooting rampage

rooster59

Shows there are nutters everywhere.

Will be interesting to see how this is managed. How on earth a Thai could do this.

Odds of him getting caught a live 10000/1.

Not saying he should, just pointing it out. My condolences to all those who lost their life and were injured.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

He shot some propane tanks after arriving at Terminal 21 early on in this event.

During the night - late night / early morning, he shot at a gas cylinder in the aim of creating an escape path. Saw this on live TV with the firefighters on the scene getting into vests and then their other gear to move in.

Just now, Liverpudlian said:

Incredible the amount of folks here sitting around the tv transfixed i can imagine the country will almost be at a stand still, very very sad afair indeed.

Most folks out here couldn't get any sleep because of this (including myself) and we're afar in bkk. The old folks who sleep early were up in the neighbour hoods till 2am and up again early 5.20 expecting this ordeal will be over. Unfortunately, not yet. Folks also tweeting in Thai they're so worried they haven't been able to get sleep.

• Like 1

Early on the guy was still posting on his facebook.

(paraphrasing)

1st post he says

"Killed 3 people because they wronged me"

Next post says

"Killed more people to protect myself"

It would appear there is some paranoid delusion stuff going on.

I do not understand why they do not send in some police dogs.  They usually are pretty well trained to go after the bad guy that is holding the gun, or smells like gun powder.  At least you will know almost exactly where the guy is.  And if the dogs have a collar or dog cam, you can get a pretty good view of things.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I do not understand why they do not send in some police dogs.  They usually are pretty well trained to go after the bad guy that is holding the gun, or smells like gun powder.  At least you will know almost exactly where the guy is.  And if the dogs have a collar or dog cam, you can get a pretty good view of things.

It is highly likely that they've checked whether grenades and explosives are missing from inventory, in which case they're going to do everything possible to contain him.

UPDATE 07:55

- 16 hours since shooting at Terminal 21 Korat Mall
- at least 22 killed, 34 injured - Amarin TV
- shooter: 32 yrs old, army sergeant
- special forces police are still conducting operation inside the mall
- shooter still at large
- people continue to be evacuated from mall
- reports suspect escaped from mall untrue

11 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes but i never heard similar stories from Europe of policemen or soldiers starting to shoot around...

A few weeks ago, a police officer in Paris ( France ) killed four of his colleagues by shooting them.
Obviously far fewer dead but four + one = five police officers dead because the shooter was shot by another police officer

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Sounds good in theory but dogs dont have thumbs and cant open doors etc. 

Dogs are trained to work in close quarters with there handler, not search a 5 story mega mall

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

UPDATE 07:55

- 16 hours since shooting at Terminal 21 Korat Mall
- at least 22 killed, 34 injured - Amarin TV
- shooter: 32 yrs old, army sergeant
- special forces police are still conducting operation inside the mall
- shooter still at large
- people continue to be evacuated from mall
- reports suspect escaped from mall untrue

22 now? 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sounds good in theory but dogs dont have thumbs and cant open doors etc. 

Dogs are trained to work in close quarters with there handler, not search a 5 story mega mall

He has explosives. Everybody would die. Instead of sending dogs you could order an airstrike. More efficient if you don't mind a catastrophic outcome. The goal is to get people out alive and dogs won't do that. 

Last location was Foodland. If it is the typical set up that should limit his movement and will most likely be his final stand. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Even the TAT will have a hard job spinning this. Whatever chance the Thai tourism had this year, that's the last nail in the coffin

Sheesh, even the 2004 Tsunami only had a short term effect on tourism and within a year the number of arrivals was higher than ever before. 

Without the virus, this would have about the same effect on tourism as the boat sinking in Phuket did. In other words, next to none. A short term dip which was quickly erased by even larger numbers of arrivals.

Not to mention that the Tourism Minister expects that the number of tourists arriving in the 2nd half of this year will (apparently) be double the normal so it will all work out and they will claim a record breaking number of arrivals for this year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, asiaquakedb-tester said:

[translation: a call has been put out for blood donations from 10am to 7pm on the second floor of The Mall Korat today].

However worth noting that the official police advice is for folks in Korat to stay indoors.

The people are lining up to give blood at the hospitals, and up to yesterday the Mall was in a bit of a war with T21 since it opened up 2 years ago... A cynical person might suspect The Mall are trying to get in on the act... You know?... Making hay and all that... Just saying.

Edited by Brewster67

Really disturbing, definitely.  Soo horrible on so many levels.  

You can be targeted in China, Russia, Cambodia, Philippines, Laos, Vietnam, Spain, Italy, Myramar, Columbia, Argentina, Mexico....just to name a few.  Some get reported in the media, some don't.  Don't try to act like some countries are safer because you read about a tragedy and decide to forget about a country's history or political power.  millions have been murdered and you remember a school shooting instead.  

Thailand is super safe.  Top % safe.  Even if driving in a CAR.  This wouldn't stop me from visiting Thailand, but Korat sure since people would not be as friendly as I would want on a vacation.  

Would I go to Maya in CM....now maybe not.  Maybe take a break from malls.  But with corona that was not a good option anyhow.  

Baht weakens.  This has been a few bad years now....in a country that doesn't need bad YEARS.