Thai soldier kills 'many' in shooting rampage

rooster59

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A soldier has killed 20 people and injured many more in a gun rampage in the Thai city of Nakhon Ratchasima.

Jakraphanth Thomma, a junior officer, killed his commanding officer before stealing weapons from a military camp, a defence spokesman told BBC Thai.

The suspect then drove to the city centre and entered a shopping complex, where is believed to be holed up.

The suspect, whose motives remain unclear, posted images of his attack on social media sites.

5 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

The top floor.

The basement is the parking lot, and it is swarming with SWAT, ambulances etc etc....

I have read (not sure about the integrity of it) But allegedly some guy holed up in there said he is wearing a strap on bomb and is threatening to blow himself up and a bunch of hostages at midnight.

His post was posted on facebook.

I know the mall quite well, yes the parking is at the lower levels but the news were initially reporting that he was under the mall in the basement. Missus has just said that he is on the top floor. All info is coming from TV.

41 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/elite-police-army-forces-lay-siege-to-korat-mall-where-gunman-is-holed-up/

Elite police, army forces lay siege to Korat mall where gunman is holed up

Elite police and army forces from the Crime Suppression Division in Bangkok and Lop Buri-based Special Forces have arrived at Terminal 21 shopping mall in downtown Nakhon Ratchasima province, where a gunman is believed to be holed up with many shoppers trapped inside.

Glad they have the army, hope the PM is telling the army commander to sort out his mess...

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

A soldier has killed 20 people and injured many more in a gun rampage in the Thai city of Nakhon Ratchasima.

Jakraphanth Thomma, a junior officer, killed his commanding officer before stealing weapons from a military camp, a defence spokesman told BBC Thai.

The suspect then drove to the city centre and entered a shopping complex, where is believed to be holed up.

The suspect, whose motives remain unclear, posted images of his attack on social media sites.

Well done steven, but hey pssst...we al know this for some hours already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poohy said:

cant you read!!!!!!!

not only innocent but his victims also don't belong to the group of persons he singled out as "cheaters", hell, they are not even shoppers. it's just a brainless killing spree that needs to be ended, the sooner the better.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, khunpa said:

One of the TV channels reports this was about a dispute over commission for selling land (50.000 THB)

Money, money, money.

A bank, tv channels, dodgy land deals, God knows what else.

"It's a mans life in the modern RTA".

UPDATE - 22:36

KORAT MALL SHOOTING LATEST

- Thai police say at least 17 killed, 21 wounded in shooting, 3 in ICU

- Gunman understood to be still inside Terminal 21 shopping mall in Korat

- Thai news site Thairath reported that 16 people are being held hostage in the mall.

- Total of 80 people rescued from mall, but many others still unaccounted for.

- Reports suspect is also armed with explosives

- Military reportedly deployed jamming devices to stop suspect from being to broadcast online

- Special forces were expected to enter the mall to engage the gunman

- Army has ordered media to stop live broadcasts from outside the mall

- Urgent call for blood - Donations can be made at hospitals in Korat, Surin, Buriram and Saraburi

- People in Korat told to remain indoors

- Gunman, who is a soldier, earlier streamed rampage live on Facebook

- Rampage began when soldier shot dead at least two colleagues

- Suspect is said to have had dispute over a land deal with commanding officer

- #savekorat starts trending on social media

Thai soldier kills at least 17 in shooting rampage - police

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat

BANGKOK (Reuters) - At least 17 people were killed and 21 wounded in a shooting by a soldier in the northeastern city of Nakhon Ratchasima, police spokesman Kissana Phathanacharoen said in a message sent to reporters.

Shootings are rare in the Southeast Asian country other than in the far south, where a decades-old insurgency persists.

"We don't know why he did this. It appears he went mad," said defence ministry spokesman Kongcheep Tantrawanit.

Police identified the suspect as Jakrapanth Thomma. He had posted on his Facebook page earlier in the day that "Death is inevitable for everyone". He also posted a picture of what appeared to be his hand holding a gun.

At one point after the shooting had begun, the suspect posted "Should I give up?" before his account became inaccessible.

The soldier opened fire at different locations in the city, which is more than 250 km (155 miles) from the capital Bangkok, police spokesman Kissana Phathanacharoen said in a message sent to reporters.

The shooter was still in the Century 21 shopping mall and had not yet been apprehended, the police said.

MALL SHOOTING

Local media showed footage of the soldier getting out of a car in front of a shopping mall and firing a series of shots, sending people running. Gunshots could be heard on the video.

One video from a bystander showed a man slumped at the wheel of a car in a pool of blood. It was unclear if he was among the dead. Another video showed at least four people who had clearly been shot and showed no sign of movement.

Facebook sent its condolences to the victims and their families and said there was no place on Facebook for anyone who commits or supports such atrocities.

"We have removed the gunman's accounts from our services and will work around the clock to remove any violating content related to this attack as soon as we become aware of it," it said.

A woman interviewed by Thailand's Channel One television said she had heard gunshots when she was at the shopping mall and hid in a clothing store with other people before escaping.

The shooter had initially gone to a house in the city and shot two people dead, before going to the weapons store on an army base and taking a new gun, local police said.

He also shot at people on the army base, they said.

Hashtags #KoratShootingRampage and #SaveKorat were trending on social media in Thailand.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul asked on his Facebook page for blood donations at four hospitals in the vicinity of Korat.

Thai army chief Apirat Kongsompong issued an order for local army commanders to rush to the scene and investigate.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha expressed condolences to the families of those killed, a government spokeswoman said.

Nakhon Ratchasima is one of the biggest cities in northeastern Thailand, a rice growing area and one of the poorest regions in the country of 69 million.

(Writing by Matthew Tostevin; Editing by Alexander Smith and David Clarke)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-08

13 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Well, in my military service in australia the bolts were kept separate from the body of the weapon, and ammunition was kept in a different location again, all securely locked up. Obviously the RTA don't practice such security....but then again, if they did they would n't be able to make some money on the side by selling weapons, so why would they be secure ?

A long time ago when I was a soldier we had 100% working weapons sometimes for training and sometime for guarding the premises. Not all the time but from time to time - enough to get one if a person is dedicated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I know the mall quite well, yes the parking is at the lower levels but the news were initially reporting that he was under the mall in the basement. Missus has just said that he is on the top floor. All info is coming from TV.

Watched it on TV and the pillars that he was walking past were numbered B2, suggesting basement.

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well done steven, but hey pssst...we al know this for some hours already.

hey Thian, the article said as of 13 minutes ago when I read it,  also the number of those reported shot was 17 previous and now it said 20 ..... that's why I posted it ....  psst 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A long time ago when I was a soldier we had 100% working weapons sometimes for training and sometime for guarding the premises. Not all the time but from time to time - enough to get one if a person is dedicated.

yeah ... guarding something without a working weapon can prove a challenge !

• Like 1

But how can a normal soldier suddenly lay his hands on guns a ton of ammo 

Dont they have checks n balances in the army?....... ok seems i answered my own question

Someone needs to be accountable for this! time will tell..

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

yeah ... guarding something without a working weapon can prove a challenge !

Did it all the time in the UK, a weekend guarding an ammo dump in the middle of nowhere, either a sub machine gun or an SLR (7.62 rifle) empty magazine on, patrolling on top of the bunkers with the ammo locked up in the guardhouse safe, and that was in the days of a very active mainland IRA. ????  

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

But how can a normal soldier suddenly lay his hands on guns a ton of ammo 

Dont they have checks n balances in the army?....... ok seems i answered my own question

Someone needs to be accountable for this! time will tell..

The fact he was able to walk into the arsenal and grabbed guns, ammo, grenades and maybe explosives as well, and nobody stopped him? do they not lock or post guards to stop that happening?

I do not think he will be taken alive, the army does not want him explaining how easy it was.

• Like 1