Thai soldier kills 'many' in shooting rampage

rooster59

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, codebunny said:

Yeah, I would say it's going to resolve itself shortly after the ammo runs out, unless he finds access to more, or to something else, or even manages to escape. If he is a reasonably experienced, reasonably fit, reasonably competent, soldier, then not every police officer is going to be confident taking him on.

I somehow doubt that. The entire place is surrounded, there are two SWAT teams in place and a sniper team. Oh and just about every copper in the province is probably there.

18 minutes ago, codebunny said:

Yeah, I would say it's going to resolve itself shortly after the ammo runs out, unless he finds access to more, or to something else, or even manages to escape. If he is a reasonably experienced, reasonably fit, reasonably competent, soldier, then not every police officer is going to be confident taking him on.

I somehow doubt that. The entire place is surrounded, there are two SWAT teams in place and a sniper team. Oh and just about every copper in the province is probably there.

1 minute ago, Brewster67 said:

I defer to your superior knowledge and expertise, as I've never had to escape from a mall under such circumstances, and I'm sure the staff involved are as competent and coordinated as any you might find in a country like the UK or US.

"the rich want to cheat and like to compare themselves to other people. Do they think that they'll be able to have money to spend in hell?"

I cant justify his actions killing innocent people

But

Maybe he is one who has seen the light there's a lot of unhappy soldiers in the army that dont support the current  worsening situation

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Maybe he is one who has seen the light there's a lot of unhappy soldiers in the army that dont support the current  worsening situation

Maybe but it don't make no sense to shoot up a T21. He's snapped and/or drugs.

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

"the rich want to cheat and like to compare themselves to other people. Do they think that they'll be able to have money to spend in hell?"

I cant justify his actions killing innocent people

But

therefore he shoots students and parking assistants.

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

They were links to Twitter & other stuff, links usually lead to pics, if you don't want to see pics don't click the Blue bit (link) simples.

They were not links...he posted pictures directly! Simples

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Falling Down movie. Being cut out of the deal by his Commander sounds like it was the last straw. The innocents on the receiving end are now the result of someone who just flipped and couldn't take it anymore. Logic not playing a part now.

• Like 1

Just now, Chelseafan said:

The basement apparently.

The top floor.

The basement is the parking lot, and it is swarming with SWAT, ambulances etc etc....

I have read (not sure about the integrity of it) But allegedly some guy holed up in there said he is wearing a strap on bomb and is threatening to blow himself up and a bunch of hostages at midnight.

His post was posted on facebook.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He is a soldier. Soldiers use weapons, sometimes for training or security. A soldier who is willing (like this one) to shoot others will always be able to get weapons - in any country.

Well, in my military service in australia the bolts were kept separate from the body of the weapon, and ammunition was kept in a different location again, all securely locked up. Obviously the RTA don't practice such security....but then again, if they did they would n't be able to make some money on the side by selling weapons, so why would they be secure ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

But allegedly some guy holed up in there said he is wearing a strap on bomb and is threatening to blow himself up

I can see him getting guns as a soldier. Bomb? I doubt it.

Ok, grenades yes.

Edited by Why Me

12 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Maybe but it don't make no sense to shoot up a T21. He's snapped and/or drugs.

Agreed; a 20 second clip in which he is seen walking inside the mall does does not depict a professional(!) soldier in CQB mode.

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE - 22.24

KORAT MALL SHOOTING LATEST

- Unconfirmed reports say 17 dead, 14 injured, 3 in ICU

- Gunman understood to be still inside Terminal 21 shopping mall in Korat

- Thai news site Thairath reported that 16 people are being held hostage in the mall.

- Total of 80 people rescued from mall, but many others still unaccounted for.

- Reports suspect is also armed with explosives

- Military reportedly deployed jamming devices to stop suspect from being to broadcast online

- Special forces were expected to enter the mall to engage the gunman

- Army has ordered media to stop live broadcasts from outside the mall

- Urgent call for blood - Donations can be made at hospitals in Korat, Surin, Buriram and Saraburi

- People in Korat told to remain indoors

- Gunman, who is a soldier, earlier streamed rampage live on Facebook

- Rampage began when soldier shot dead at least two colleagues

- Suspect is said to have had dispute over a land deal with commanding officer

- #savekorat starts trending on social media

Thai soldier kills at least 13 in shooting rampage - police

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai soldier killed at least 13 people in a shooting rampage on Saturday in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima in the north east of Thailand and is still at large in a shopping mall, local authorities and the police said

Shootings are rare in the Southeast Asian country other than in the far south, where a decades-old insurgency persists.

An official at the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office in Nakhon Ratchasima said at least 13 people were confirmed dead and the toll could rise. One ambulance service official in the city said the death toll was as high as 20.

"We don't know why he did this. It appears he went mad," said defence ministry spokesman Kongcheep Tantrawanit.

Police identified the suspect as Jakrapanth Thomma. He had posted on his Facebook page earlier in the day that "Death is inevitable for everyone". He also posted a picture of what appeared to be his hand holding a gun.

At one point after the shooting had begun, the suspect posted "Should I give up?" before his account became inaccessible.

The soldier opened fire at different locations in the city, which is more than 250 km (155 miles) from the capital Bangkok, police spokesman Kissana Phathanacharoen said in a message sent to reporters.

The shooter was still in the Century 21 shopping mall and had not yet been apprehended, the police said.

MALL SHOOTING

Local media showed footage of the soldier getting out of a car in front of a shopping mall and firing a series of shots, sending people running. Gunshots could be heard on the video.

One video from a bystander showed a man slumped at the wheel of a car in a pool of blood. It was unclear if he was among the dead. Another video showed at least four people who had clearly been shot and showed no sign of movement.

Facebook sent its condolences to the victims and their families and said there was no place on Facebook for anyone who commits or supports such atrocities.

"We have removed the gunman's accounts from our services and will work around the clock to remove any violating content related to this attack as soon as we become aware of it," it said.

A woman interviewed by Thailand's Channel One television said she had heard gunshots when she was at the shopping mall and hid in a clothing store with other people before escaping.

The shooter had initially gone to a house in the city and shot two people dead, before going to the weapons store on an army base and taking a new gun, local police said.

He also shot at people on the army base, they said.

Hashtags #KoratShootingRampage and #SaveKorat were trending on social media in Thailand.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul asked on his Facebook page for blood donations at four hospitals in the vicinity of Korat.

Thai army chief Apirat Kongsompong issued an order for local army commanders to rush to the scene and investigate.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha expressed condolences to the families of those killed, a government spokeswoman said.

Nakhon Ratchasima is one of the biggest cities in northeastern Thailand, a rice growing area and one of the poorest regions in the country of 69 million.

(Writing by Matthew Tostevin; Editing by Alexander Smith and David Clarke)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-08

1-side.jpg

1 minute ago, Conno said:

GF telling me he has Hand Grenades not a strap on bomb

There are multiple sources saying he has a bomb strapped to him... They also mention grenades.

Nobody can be 100% on any of it, but the police are apparently in contact with him.