CONFIRMED: Thai mass shooter killed at shopping mall

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Elzear said:

« Major shootings are rare in the Southeast Asian country other than in the far south,where a decades-old insurgency persists.«  

Short memory : what about that jewellery attack not long ago .. what about shootings at tribunals last year.

Foreign media describe Thailand as having one of the highest guns ownerships (legal) in the world..

When Australia had its mass-shooting at Port Arthur, the government went on a gun buy back scheme as well as restricting gun ownership laws. Shall we see this happen here ... mmm ? 

My deepest condolences to the families afflicted by this terrible event. It is so unfair. 

All those Policemen who regularly sell Guns to anyone who has enough money are not going to start buying them back.....NO REFUND !

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

Very tragic news indeed......But at least us falang cant be blamed for this one....But I'm sure we will in some capacity like the bullets and armor the gunman was using are made in the USA or the gunmen was watching to much U.S news about gun violence and previous mass shootings etc...etc....

He watched that Sniper in 'Saving Private Ryan' too often !

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

This guy is partly responsible. He made Thailand into a basketcase, and it is no coincidence that the idiot shooting all of those people is a guy from the military. Time to really re-organize the military, beginning with removing this guy from office and throwing him in jail, where he most definitely belongs. 

Shark Infested Water would be a better idea !

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The bodies around him where he died could be the hostages.

Highly likely. Seemed to have retreated to a kitchen storage area. Probably could only take 2 hostages with him. a boy and a girl, their bodies in close proximity to his. The question is did he kill them or were they the victims of friendly fire?

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

I imagine what made it harder was that this was a soldier in full combat uniform being hunted by soldiers in full combat uniform.  All were within the same shopping mall'  The risk of mistakenly shooting one of the good guys must have been pretty high.  Kudos to them for bringing this to an end.

31 minutes ago, CGW said:

Then reality hits home, who would re-organise the military, who would arrest him, he's going nowhere, Sad but true!

Welcome to Thailand ???? 

It will happen eventually. He is just trying to deflect and postpone the inevitable. Thailand or no Thailand. Even this country has a history getting rid of this type of people. 

22 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

It will happen eventually. He is just trying to deflect and postpone the inevitable. Thailand or no Thailand. Even this country has a history getting rid of this type of people. 

Indeed, I have read a lot of the history of Thailand & witnessed first hand what has happened the past 30+ years, when have they ever replaced anybody with anybody that is an improvement?

I would like to see it happen, but the next "movement" hasn't even started yet, simply because it hasn't been allowed to & won't be - for ? 

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Highly likely. Seemed to have retreated to a kitchen storage area. Probably could only take 2 hostages with him. a boy and a girl, their bodies in close proximity to his. The question is did he kill them or were they the victims of friendly fire?

That's been my main question the entire day as well. At least since I watched this video. But we both know we will never find out sadly. 

Also he appears to be wet, his pants look like they are soaked. Apparently he shot out some sprinklers to slow the police down not long before he was killed 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bridge2bridge said:

Knowing why he did it will not bring back the innocent lives the scum took.

A lot of speculation, unfounded comments etc. here + ones like the above.

Its easy to be angry - understandable too, its perhaps more difficult to consider why this actually happened. There are various stories about what the 'trigger' might have been but surely whatever it was, it caused an already troubled mind to snap.

A sane person doesn't pick up a weapon and kill people. He doesn't shoot innocent men, women and children indiscriminately.  This man was clearly very ill and its very rare that such a person has not demonstrated behaviour that would identify such illness previously.

Questions need to be asked: Given that a soldier is often armed with lethal weapons on a daily basis, what measures are in place to test their mental capacity to hold such weapons? How, even though it seems he was already armed, was this man able to access an assault rifle and large amounts of ammunition?

There are many questions and I doubt they will be answered but I hope lessons will be learned.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Questions need to be asked: Given that a soldier is often armed with lethal weapons on a daily basis, what measures are in place to test their mental capacity to hold such weapons? How, even though it seems he was already armed, was he able to access an assault rifle and large amounts of ammunition?

There are many questions and I doubt they will be answered but I hope lessons will be learned.

Learning lessons requires intelligence, admitting mistakes, recognising errors, noting poor judgement, understanding how to improve, etc.

Not gonna happen here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

This is the second mall mass shooting incident in a matter of weeks.

Same night or day after the gold store massacre, also in isaan buriram teenage fight ended with 1 dead, 11 injured in shooting, but it barely made headlights in thai, and nothing in thai visa or Bangkok post as usual 

36 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Very sad that the Thai lost 2 swat team members on this action...

Not sure on that, initial reports said two, but later reports said one.

I as read somewhere two police were shot in there pick up.

10 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The PM warned the media against reporting news in a way that would aggravate an already divided society, by making reference to political conflicts between conservatives and liberal camps.

This is a National tragedy.

However, the PM cannot resist making political points.

And he has to issue a warning.

He does however recognise that the Kingdom is a devided society.

A Statesman he is not.

Any other comment.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigBadGeordie said:

This is a National tragedy.

However, the PM cannot resist making political points.

And he has to issue a warning.

He does however recognise that the Kingdom is a devided society.

A Statesman he is not.

Any other comment.......

.... and YOU have just made one..... pointless.

R. I. P. the victims.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

As he had a number of weapons and likely the goods guys were also using the same or similar weapons and ammo it will be down to a forensic ballistics expert to determine by which gun the casualties were shoot from, big question is will the authorities really want to know? 

• Like 2