Thai Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

webfact

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

Great idea, raise fees when tourism is in the toilet?

Shouldn't we be glad they are <deleted> up the place? Less traffic, less idiot drivers, smaller queues, greater ratio of Thai females to falangs, and now even more handsome.

Good idea except.... why did you have to mention 'tourism' and 'toilet' in the same sentence?

Tomorrow's great idea will now probably be -

"Toilet Minister reveals plans to tax all tourist 'toilet users' to improve the image of the existing and disgusting standard of toilets in Thailand"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

I guess after washing down Walking Street in Pattaya the question came up "now who is going to pay for it?"

Obviously a 10,000,000 baht project, at least, to pay for all those brooms. 

Sweeping all those broken dreams off the street sounds better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

They increased the arrival and departure tax a couple of years ago to provide medical costs if a tourist was injured and tourists already get hit with dual pricing.  Tourism must be bad if they are going to hit the remaining ones even harder.

I would not mind paying 1000 BHT entry and departure extra.

If all the millions of the beloved ones, chinese mates swamp in on the new train they could pay for medical treatment in the hospitals and upgrade tourist facilities, the problem isssssss

Watch this space---- Bill Gates and his WHO will release a coronavirus vaccine very soon, my, my, my  corona

Who will administer the money, thats the big problem in LOS

Fingers jammed in the till ---Ouch

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely this would be more environmentally friendly, less expensive and more efficient tooperate

They have smaller/narrower sweeping/cleaning vehicles in Holland for use on the narrow streets there.  Perfect for the Soi. and tight to get places.  

1 minute ago, Sametboy2019 said:

if Coronavirus and Mall shootings wasnt enough to put you off. 

Now your going to be charged for the risk.

It's like paying a cover charge to go into an attraction that has all the risks and thrills, however you might not make it back out and possibly become part of the show! Now that should get your adrenaline pumping if anything would!

4 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Foreigners already pay "tourism fees" in the form of dual pricing.

it's going up a notch, next level extortion.
Tourists have to pay for the attraction they come to visit, Thailand doesn't have a budget for that kind of thing!

2 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailands future tourism plan is based on the current package mentality they operate with the Chinese 

50+ in a group - Group A, they ship them in - bus them to a single hotel charge them BT2000+ per night - bus them to various expensive venues for eating to shows to parks all over priced - do this for 7-10 days then bus them back to the airport, they are not allowed to stray from the group or go where they like because they simply don't know any better and in bed by 10pm so they are ready for another gouging the next day - who are the people running these groups - a select powerful people making a fortune

Not my idea of a holiday - part of the adventure of all my vacations over the years was to plan research and explore, what they are doing with these Chinese is a bit like a Cruise Ship but without the ship - being lead about like lemmings believing that "this is how a holiday is meant to be",

but of course I did not come from a communist country - I was pretty much free to travel how - where and when I wanted 

Remember were they come from - they are well used to being herded and told what to do and for now Thailand is taking advantage of that

Except, of course, China has banned group tours.

7/10 for the rant. Try harder next time.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

It was manned counters at Don Mueang before the machines. 

I recall folk begging for 500thb in the airport as they had turned up with no money, spent everything on their holiday and forgot, or did not know to keep the purple passion voucher. In those days that was a ST or LT if she was skint.

Oh dear. The whine of the newly travelled. Hong Kong was like that four decades ago. Had to pay in cash at check in.