Thai Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

webfact

So the government, in its quest to increase tourism, has the idea to give more people the option to arrive without a visa. But they also have the idea of a fee for each tourist. Can you say "split personality"? Maybe a fee on tour packages would be less obvious. Though would not cover all tourists.

If the tourists are not worth having, just block tourism and be happy.

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

“They have also requested more details of the plan to use fees collected for attraction renovation and insurance benefits.“

So they’ll drop the requirement for Non-IMM OA insurance?

Why would they do that? Old coffin dodgers living on the cheap should have insurance. Or go home.

• Sad 3

i think thailand is banking on the idea that their largest cohort of tourists (short term mongers) don't care what the price is because they're only staying for 2-3 weeks at a time. Considering the situation with women in the western world, I feel like farang are willing to pay any price for "Stream entry into the dharma". I could be wrong though. I don't thing any other neighboring SEA country has the infastructure and culture to rival Thailand. If someone can vouch for alternatives id LOVE to hear it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

I guess after washing down Walking Street in Pattaya the question came up "now who is going to pay for it?"

Obviously a 10,000,000 baht project, at least, to pay for all those brooms. 

They need this all along beach road and second road also.  Cleaning and fixing all the sidewalk bricks and making it safe to walk and push strollers along the beach road promenade and sidewalks. 

Second, city managers need to get rid of the speed boat hawkers on the beach road promenade. Do not need the scruffy, fat, unprofessional speed boat hawkers and their messy ways getting in everyone's faces.  Blocking the promenade with their cheap plastic chairs and drinking lao kao and chang and eating meals on the benches reserved for sitting on on makeshift tables they threw together.    These guys are a nuisance and just look like <deleted>. Some actually sit on the empty plastic gas containers smoking .

Simple solution, have the beach chair vendors incorporate speed boat trips at their establishments. 

Third, put in more benches, I mean really, how much can that cost.  The lovely ladies at night have to stand for hours, so by the time they get a customer, their legs are too tired to perform  555 

Peace✌️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Nobody should be surprised. That's Thai logic.

When I started to stay long time in Thailand ages ago, I lived in a nice small hotel for six month.

When I came back next time the place was sharply going down. Less clean, less staff, less maintenance -  but more expensive.

I asked the owner about that and he told me:

"Well, we have not so many customers now. so we had to increase our prices".

A year or so later the hotel was closed and for sale. I don't know what the owner made after that. He might have become an advisor to the Toursim Ministry.

That is a legitimate accounting method of pricing. You can use either bottom up or top down pricing models. This is not just a thai thing - it is an accounting thing. Both models have benefits and downsides.

https://www.mbaskool.com/business-concepts/marketing-and-strategy-terms/11864-bottom-up-pricing.html

As for the fee. If they need it, they need it. I just hope it is incurred seemlessly in a plane ticket or bus ticket and doesn't go back to the additional fee that needed to be paid separately at the airport as others have mentioned. That was tedious and upsets tourists. By burying it in another fee, noone really cares.

A 24000 baht ticket seems very close to a 24500 baht ticket for an airflight to another major region.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

They need this all along beach road and second road also.  Cleaning and fixing all the sidewalk bricks and making it safe to walk and push strollers along the beach road promenade and sidewalks. 

Second, city managers need to get rid of the speed boat hawkers on the beach road promenade. Do not need the scruffy, fat, unprofessional speed boat hawkers and their messy ways getting in everyone's faces.  Blocking the promenade with their cheap plastic chairs and drinking lao kao and chang and eating meals on the benches reserved for sitting on on makeshift tables they threw together.    These guys are a nuisance and just look like <deleted>. Some actually sit on the empty plastic gas containers smoking .

Simple solution, have the beach chair vendors incorporate speed boat trips at their establishments. 

Third, put in more benches, I mean really, how much can that cost.  The lovely ladies at night have to stand for hours, so by the time they get a customer, their legs are too tired to perform  555 

Peace✌️

Nothing more sad to see is an old bloke with a stroller. What were they thinking? I'm such a proud 70 year old with my new baby who, in all likelihood, I won't see finishing primary school. Very sad. And pathetic. Get a vasectomy.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Foreigners already pay "tourism fees" in the form of dual pricing.

Dual pricing where? Never paid any dual pricing. I live in Bangkok and almost every week go to RCA clubs to pick up Thai girls for a one-night-stand. Never paid any dual pricing.  Bought a car and the price I paid is the same as they advertised in Mall display, so assuming price is the same for Thais also.

• Sad 1

Many countries charge various types of taxes for various services. 

Italy charges a room tax of Euro3-5 pppn for foreigners. This is often paid on checkout and on top of the price of the room. They also charge an entrance tax for coaches going into the cities.

Austria charges a highway tax for non Austrian registered vehicles. 

From reading the article, the Ministry is reviewing the state of the industry and asking for ideas and opinions going forward. One of the ideas being proposed is some sort of tourist tax. Nothing wrong in proposing ideas, no matter how ridiculous they might sound at first. That’s just good management practice. SWOT, risk management and cost benefit analysis will be carried out and ideas and changes will be implemented ad befits the situation. 

Many posters here were not previously involved in running a country or in senior positions in multinationals. I can understand that they don’t realise what’s involved at the sharp end of the stick. 

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Nothing more sad to see is an old bloke with a stroller. What were they thinking? I'm such a proud 70 year old with my new baby who, in all likelihood, I won't see finishing primary school. Very sad. And pathetic. Get a vasectomy.

Have you been to Pattaya lately.  Many Russian, Indian, Chinese families in their 20-30's with babies strolling the beach road promenade.  Yes I do still see the occasional elder caucasian gentleman with a 30's thai wife and baby stroller also.  It is a "family" destination, haven't you heard? 555

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

<deleted>, these morons can't come up with anything better than this?

The whole country is literally going to sh@t and they are talking about charging more ????????????

LOL Typical mentality here, no? Business is bad - raise prices :clap2: