Sixty more people confirmed with coronavirus on cruise ship in Japan - media

webfact

Sixty more people confirmed with coronavirus on cruise ship in Japan - media

By Rocky Swift

2020-02-10T080855Z_4_LYNXMPEG190E6_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-JAPAN-SHIP.JPG

A woman wearing a mask turns around after viewing the cruise ship Diamond Princess, where dozens of passengers were tested positive for coronavirus, from an observation deck overlooking the Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, Japan February 10, 2020. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

TOKYO (Reuters) - Testing aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan has revealed 60 more confirmed cases of coronavirus, media said on Monday, as quarantined passengers took to social media to warn of depression setting in over their confinement.

Monday's figure takes to 130 the number of infections on the ship docked in Yokohama, domestic broadcasters TBS and NHK said, citing Japanese health ministry sources.

The health ministry's communication office had no information on the report when contacted by Reuters.

The Diamond Princess was placed in quarantine for two weeks upon arriving in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, on Feb. 3, after a man who disembarked in Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus.

About 3,700 people are aboard the ship, which usually has a crew of 1,100 and a passenger capacity of 2,670. Passengers have been allowed on decks in shifts to get fresh air and encouraged to regularly take their temperature.

"Lots of the passengers now are getting a bit of cabin fever," British passenger David Able said in a video posted on Facebook. "Depression is starting to set in."

Another said he hoped assurances about the effectiveness of quarantine and ventilation on board would prove true.

"I will get nervous if we pass 200," said the 43-year-old Hong Kong resident quarantined on the boat with his wife, child and several others of his family.

"Hoping best for those taken to hospital. At least two report back to us on Facebook that they are symptom free," said the man, who declined to be identified.

A passenger with the Twitter handle daxa_tw posted an audio clip of the captain announcing the discovery of 66 new cases.

Japan's health ministry is separating infection counts on the ship and evacuee flights from China from Japan's official tally. Domestic cases stand at 21.

The disease has killed 908 people, chiefly in mainland China, and infected more than 40,000.

(Reporting by Rocky Swift in Tokyo; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan and Clarence Fernandez)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-10

40 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Aren't they still carriers of the virus even after they get better? 

Two of the confirmed Sydney cases were allowed to leave hospital recently:  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-31/nsw-coronavirus-patients-released-from-hospital-infection-free/11915834

So sounds like no, not contagious once "cured". 

Edit:  Here's a handy 'what you need to know' guide from the same news website, published yesterday: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus/11918302

Edited by moojar

A post containing unattributed content has been removed.  Please include a valid link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

I’m trying to find a source to back up the following, but Most flu that spread quickly are of low ability to kill. The ones that kill are the ones that do not transfer easily. 

Of those that have died From corona, I believe most if not all are either elderly or have an underlying medical issue. 

1 hour ago, ncc1701d said:

I’m trying to find a source to back up the following, but Most flu that spread quickly are of low ability to kill. The ones that kill are the ones that do not transfer easily. 

Of those that have died From corona, I believe most if not all are either elderly or have an underlying medical issue. 

Technically speaking you are conditionally correct on point one; incorrect on pont 2.  Here is a list of viruses and their Basic reproduction number (R0, or R-Naught) which describe how quickly various viruses spread:

331424767_snapshot_2020-02-11at3_44_41PM.jpg.334299c72b4efd7e09afce780266d700.jpg

The lower the R0, the slower it will spread.  But, R0 alone does not really predict mortality rate.  Measles, as everyone knows does not have a high mortality rate so your  assertion is true in this case., but many of the other ones listed with a much lower R0 than measles, are still highly infectious,  and at one time many of them were highly fatal, and only not so now because of vaccines or "herd immunity" effect.

In the case of N-CoV, the "Serious Complication Rate (SCR) is 20% which puts a further spin on this.  With the number of cases growing so fast, it threatens to create more ICU cases than the healthcare system will be able to handle, which in turn will increase the mortality rate, maybe not so much as a direct result of N-CoV as a result of inability to care for the severely ill.

On point 2, most fatalities so far have been in the subgroup you describe, but not all.  Dr. Li Wenliang, the doctor who was the first "whistleblower" about this virus in CHina died from infection a few days ago.  We was in his early 30's with no pre-existing conditions, just as an example.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Good find and interesting. Just my opinion, I would say that infection rate in China would be the high density with the Authorities tying to suppress information. 

I have been told that In order for a virus to jump species it has to weaken. But again, I can’t find that in a search. Anything I try to search I only get stories about corona.