New car - price negotiation range

KurtCB

I bought a new Civic last Oct, went to three dealers for best offers then went back to the first so they could beat the last two offers.

No discount but got 30k acessories, 11k fuel vouchers, free resgistration and 1st class insurance. I was happy, Two months wait for build.

The test drive was ridiculous though, no fuel in their test car, they allowed me to drive to the U turn and back to showroom.

I think I found my car. Good offer from Bangkok. But I have some other questions now.

I just went to Pattaya Immigration for a residence certificate. They refused to give me one. They said I have to buy the car first and I have to show the contract.
Is that normal? 

And what would have happened if I choose the box for Driving licence or sell car?
Is this information later on the actual certificate?

20 hours ago, twizzian said:

I bought a new Civic last Oct, went to three dealers for best offers then went back to the first so they could beat the last two offers.

No discount but got 30k acessories, 11k fuel vouchers, free resgistration and 1st class insurance. I was happy, Two months wait for build.

The test drive was ridiculous though, no fuel in their test car, they allowed me to drive to the U turn and back to showroom.

You should’ve accidentally missed the U-turn

Edited by JAS21

I was previously in the market for the new Q3 (until I found out they would only release the 1.5 litre front wheel drive model in Thailand) so I started following the Facebook Audi page for news.

One day this popped up on the feed.

Huge discounts! So they do happen occasionally, and it shows you how much they can drop their prices when they need to. 

Still ridiculously expensive by international standards but decent by Thai new car standards.

CC5F1A91-FD7E-4C19-804C-3909C8501072.thumb.jpeg.c2b4e7ccfebf4a6fbe18e3e16f89fafc.jpeg

Edited by madhav

BMW also sometimes have big discounts for demo or older, slower selling models.

Maybe the premium brands have more profit and are more desperate to shift slow stock. 

Don't expect anything like this with Toyota and Honda etc.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:02 PM, legend49 said:
On 2/11/2020 at 1:13 PM, KurtCB said:

I couln't wait until friday so I visited 2 Honda car dealers in Pattaya today to get a first feeling.

First in Na Jomtien. I did a test drive. After that I got an offer, clearly written down on a piece of paper.
The offer is ridiculous. However, the lady was nice and the service was OK.

I knew from my friend already that I can't expect any profesional consultation at a thai car dealer. So I went there already fully informed and he was absolutely right.

Then I went to the Honda Dealer in North Pattaya. I have never ever seen anything like this before.
No car available for test drive, absolutely no information about the car, no offer on paper - just a verbal offer. Well, to be honest, nothing to write down if you don't get a discount at all.
I want to buy a car for 1 million+. At least I excpect a coffee or a glass of water while waiting 10 Minutes (!) for a brochure.

Unbelievable ????

Welcome to Thai car sales people. Where the customer comes last.

Welcome to Thai car sales people... in Pattaya. Where they usually can spot the inveterate, brochure-collecting, farang window shopper a mile away.

To the OP, I hope your car purchase experience goes well.  For me, I followed a friend's advice that car purchase "deals" might be better found at the BKK auto show as they would include manufacturer-sponsored offers as well. I think there are at least two of these shows held each year, maybe more.  So it was at the Impact Center auto show that I bought (ordered) a new 2018 Honda CR-V in December 2017 via a BKK Honda dealership rep (there were many reps, all representing the same or similar following "deal").  Please note, that my criteria for selecting a car here was that it was easy to get local maintenance and parts.  It also helped that this Honda CR-V model is assembled in Thailand (and also for export). The offer I accepted provided a 50,000 baht list-price discount, front-and-rear rubber floor mats, mirror-mounted recording camera (wired and installed) < having this camera does offer a small reduction in one's annual auto insurance come time of renewal, a 19" Honda suitcase by Samsonite (an actually darn good suitcase too), first year Type 1 auto insurance - worth around 19k-20k baht, 3M tinted window film, and also a 10,000 baht petrol card. There were also slightly extended warranty coverages in kilometers or years (vs. standard provisions), dependent on the what was covered.  And after some to/fro, I also got an english manual at no additional cost ordered from overseas (a US instruction manual which I accepted covered more features than the Thai-manufactured model offered, but it was in english!)  I couldn't otherwise negotiate very much on the 50k discounted list price, same as others have described. I had also visited several dealers before the auto show and was pretty prepared on the limited add-ons offered.  Interestingly, several of the dealer reps when visiting in their own show rooms suggested I should finance the car (vs. paying full cash) to achieve their additional discount off the list and then to just pay off the whole loan in a few months with just little penalty but still net the greater discount.  (Something didn't sound right and anyways, it wasn't something that I wanted to pursue.)  For me, I also wanted to make sure that the car delivered was indeed a 2018 manufactured model and not a "2018 model" carryover from 2017.  Eventually, at time of picking up the car, they did show me documentation with the January XX 2018 manufacture date (I got no copy) but importantly, the car registration does record a 2018 model.  Then they showed another way to quickly find the model manufacture date by looking at the sewn tag on the seat belt.  And sure enough, it said January XX 2018. (Yes, they could've easily put newer seatbelts/tags on a 2017-manufactured 2018 model, but I doubt it.)  Sorry this is all TMI. But thought I'd share my experience for you and others interested.    I'd say that it is also beneficial to have some contact at the dealership who has some proficiency in english. That contact is helpful when arranging servicing and/or renewing your auto-insurance. (And there are alternatives like Roojai for auto insurance come time you have to renew after your first year of ownership.) Hope this helps.

Edited by HawaiianBlues

Let me share my experience here, and I reckon it is the closest , most relevant to what you are going for. 

i recently bought the Honda Civic Hatchback last year in July (2019). 

Note that this is the model before the minorchange update which is the current RS model. 

At that time, the new minorchange model hadn't been announced, i think it was about 3~4 months after that the new MC model announced. 

Bought mine from a Honda showroom along outskirts of BKK , still classified as BKK area. 

Like you, I'm a foreigner, with Work Permit and residence status here. 

Paid with full cash, no financing. 

Here's the deal I got: 

- Cash discount of 28K 

- Free PTT Petrol card (5000 baht). Other dealerships may give 5~10K baht (pls check and negotiate).  I should have opted out to get further discount or could have sold the petrol card perhaps. (Reason: I didnt like the quality of PTT petrol no matter which grade , i feel that it doesnt give much punch. Have to rev more than other brands, Bangchak is my fav). 

- Depending on your choice of colour, may have to top up (standard cost) , white pearl was additional 6~8K (can't rem exactly) 

- Freebies : 1st class insurance (do try to negotiate for a reputable insurer as well!)

- Free all round tinting (3M brand , again do try to make sure they give you a good brand / product)

- Free rear sensors (stock original Honda comes with rear camera only , but not the beeping sensors) 

- Free Car cam recorder (Front only). I should have opted to forego it and negotiate a further discount. Quality and Brand was lousy , I ended up getting a better one installed outside. Blackvue HD front and back cam. 

- Free rubber floor mats 

- I opted out of those plastic window wind deflectors (didnt like the look) , and also opted out of some "Modulo" body part accessories which apparently came with the car (this may not apply to all dealerships). So I managed to get the price slashed further. 

There may be other freebies currently (Foldable bicycle) not sure if still ongoing, which you can probably opt out and get your final price slashed further. 

Other points to note, standard Honda Freebie for Civics - Free labour on your first 2 engine servicing, and routine 6 and 12 month interval checking. 

(Parts and Oil , you have to pay of course).

I have not gotten the English manual (even though they promised they would hunt for one). I ended up referring to online sources if I had any questions. 

As the new RS model is still new, not sure how flexible these dealerships will be when giving discount, but as someone mentioned, the car sales market has slowed down quite a bit, and you may have some bargaining power perhaps. 

So yeah, hope my buying experience is somewhat useful for you. 

You may not get the exact same deal, but use this as a guideline to how you can negotiate for freebies and "opt out" some items to get prices offset. 

Oh , and do note that when they deliver the car, it doesnt come with full tank of fuel , lol . 

and my car was just washed only, no detail or protection applied. 

(Doesnt matter to me as I am picky and already have in mind what fuel and what car detailing / protection I was gonna do)

and make sure and specifiy that you want a brand new car, not off the showroom floor display unit , or test drive unit (just to be sure in case of sneaky dealers). Waiting time may be 1~2 months to deliver and depending on colour choice. 

Or unless you really want more discount, then propose to them you dont mind the showroom display unit / test drive unit. 

Edited by vipershot

On 2/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, JAS21 said:

You should’ve accidentally missed the U-turn

They usually have a set route. I think my dealer had a route that was about 8km long or so. Only moderate to fast driving. No rough roads unfortunately, to see how the car handles them. That's the crv, and luckliy its good on bad roads. Once test drove a brio when my civic was in for a service. They let me drive it home - wife was with me, and she drove it back to the dealers:)

On 2/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, KurtCB said:

I think I found my car. Good offer from Bangkok. But I have some other questions now.

I just went to Pattaya Immigration for a residence certificate. They refused to give me one. They said I have to buy the car first and I have to show the contract.
Is that normal? 

And what would have happened if I choose the box for Driving licence or sell car?
Is this information later on the actual certificate?

It’s a pity you can’t wait another six weeks. Bangkok motor show is on then and with the economy they are bound to be offering some very good deals.

Civic RS is okay ... we had one for a couple of years ...tyre noise is high.

Pity you can’t run to an S60 PHEV...that is quick ... Volvo have a Test Day tomorrow at PT Speedway...I think Volvo are offering 0% over 4 years....I think all their models will be there......

On 2/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, Kwasaki said:

So right for me paying cash years ago, maybe different now.

When buying my new Toyota for cash 861,000 they wouldn't even knock the 1000 off at the time.????

Potential exchange rate changes could have a significant effect on the cost of a vehicle if purchased on credit. Dependent on the funding stream.

2% of the value is generally the rate for a discount, but that can vary dependent upon the dealership.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vipershot said:

Let me share my experience here, and I reckon it is the closest , most relevant to what you are going for. 

i recently bought the Honda Civic Hatchback last year in July (2019). 

Note that this is the model before the minorchange update which is the current RS model. 

At that time, the new minorchange model hadn't been announced, i think it was about 3~4 months after that the new MC model announced. 

Bought mine from a Honda showroom along outskirts of BKK , still classified as BKK area. 

Like you, I'm a foreigner, with Work Permit and residence status here. 

Paid with full cash, no financing. 

Here's the deal I got: 

- Cash discount of 28K 

- Free PTT Petrol card (5000 baht). Other dealerships may give 5~10K baht (pls check and negotiate).  I should have opted out to get further discount or could have sold the petrol card perhaps. (Reason: I didnt like the quality of PTT petrol no matter which grade , i feel that it doesnt give much punch. Have to rev more than other brands, Bangchak is my fav). 

- Depending on your choice of colour, may have to top up (standard cost) , white pearl was additional 6~8K (can't rem exactly) 

- Freebies : 1st class insurance (do try to negotiate for a reputable insurer as well!)

- Free all round tinting (3M brand , again do try to make sure they give you a good brand / product)

- Free rear sensors (stock original Honda comes with rear camera only , but not the beeping sensors) 

- Free Car cam recorder (Front only). I should have opted to forego it and negotiate a further discount. Quality and Brand was lousy , I ended up getting a better one installed outside. Blackvue HD front and back cam. 

- Free rubber floor mats 

- I opted out of those plastic window wind deflectors (didnt like the look) , and also opted out of some "Modulo" body part accessories which apparently came with the car (this may not apply to all dealerships). So I managed to get the price slashed further. 

There may be other freebies currently (Foldable bicycle) not sure if still ongoing, which you can probably opt out and get your final price slashed further. 

Other points to note, standard Honda Freebie for Civics - Free labour on your first 2 engine servicing, and routine 6 and 12 month interval checking. 

(Parts and Oil , you have to pay of course).

I have not gotten the English manual (even though they promised they would hunt for one). I ended up referring to online sources if I had any questions. 

As the new RS model is still new, not sure how flexible these dealerships will be when giving discount, but as someone mentioned, the car sales market has slowed down quite a bit, and you may have some bargaining power perhaps. 

So yeah, hope my buying experience is somewhat useful for you. 

You may not get the exact same deal, but use this as a guideline to how you can negotiate for freebies and "opt out" some items to get prices offset. 

Oh , and do note that when they deliver the car, it doesnt come with full tank of fuel , lol . 

and my car was just washed only, no detail or protection applied. 

(Doesnt matter to me as I am picky and already have in mind what fuel and what car detailing / protection I was gonna do)

and make sure and specifiy that you want a brand new car, not off the showroom floor display unit , or test drive unit (just to be sure in case of sneaky dealers). Waiting time may be 1~2 months to deliver and depending on colour choice. 

Or unless you really want more discount, then propose to them you dont mind the showroom display unit / test drive unit. 

English manual... I got them to note that down on the order form. Even so, the seller kept giving me excuses as to why No manual.

in the end I wrote to Honda Thailand asking if there was a problem with the manual a few days later It turned up in the post....

Also the seller tried to sell me some detailing package and also under body protection. Even though I said no she included it in Paperwork she handed over...I just binned that paperwork.

Some good advice already here. I used to work for a main stealer dealer many years ago (though not in sales). When you absolutely can't get the price down any further, start on the free stuff, most of which has already been mentioned: i.e. Mats, mudflaps, good quality window tint, 1st class insurance, fuel, dashcam, glass coating, etc.

Best time to approach dealers is just before the end of the month. They get bonuses (to put it simply) from the manufacturer for meeting monthly sales targets, hence why you usually find demonstrators are registered near the end of the month.

Also, good avice given was to wait until the next motor show if possible.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:32 AM, rech said:

From 50000 to 100000 maximum discount on the Benz new models. No sh!t freebies or sh!t insurance with low coverage (this is what people usually get when insurance is free).

At the present time you can get 200,000 off Top of range Volvo S90phev and 40% deposit with 0%, 5 year warranty and service (parts and Labour). Don't know about insurance but not much is selling so more than likely. It's a nice car. The S60phev is a real flying m/c but I didn't ask what the offers are. Volvo Test Day was yesterday and you could drive whatever you wanted ....Mrs J had a 'field day'!

Edited by JAS21