British prisoner ‘collapses in cell’ with suspected coronavirus after ‘returning from Thai jail’

webfact

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And why was he in prison i might ask.

Tells you in the OP, don't worry it's not getting long stayers a bad name, as you like to comment on when a westerners is involved with the police.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Not only has this man been taken to Hospital with suspected Corona Virus, but there is also a report that another British nation reported feeling unwell to a Health Center after a trip to Thailand.

Something is starting to smell bad, and it aint my socks.

Could have been caught on the flight or in a transit airport. Both, especially airplanes, are perfect breeding grounds, and means of international travel for bacteria and viruses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Which seems to suggest that in Thailand there's a lack of checking / screening somewhere in the check-in / boarding etc., processes.

Of course thailand does this meaningless quick temperature check for those on flights from China ! Just for publicity ! It(CV) will likely explode all over SE Asia

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

Thai prisons, unsanitary and overcrowded as they are, certainly are the perfect incubator for pretty much any infectious disease. I think it's only a question of time until there will be a major coronavirus outbreak at one of Thailand's prisons - will be interesting to see how they mishandle it.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Thai prisons, unsanitary and overcrowded as they are, certainly are the perfect incubator for pretty much any infectious disease. I think it's only a question of time until there will be a major coronavirus outbreak at one of Thailand's prisons - will be interesting to see how they mishandle it.

And the IDC 

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Considering the number of inmates with TB, HIV and other ailments, a large number will die.

"Considering the number of inmates with TB, HIV and other ailments [in a Thai prison]"

What are those numbers?  Have you got some stats to back up that speculation?

Edited by Just Weird

5 hours ago, ponder said:

A friend of mine was released from Klong Prem prison about a year ago. While incarcerated, he shared a room with seventy others, and they slept practically on top of each other.

There aren't any cells in Klong Prem big enough to take 71 people, by a long way.

5 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:
5 hours ago, ponder said:

A friend of mine was released from Klong Prem prison about a year ago. While incarcerated, he shared a room with seventy others, and they slept practically on top of each other. If this virus gets into the prison, it will spread rapidly, and I do not now how the authorities could cope with it.

Let's hope that it stays away. 

How much access to prisoners have to visitors?

No direct contact, prisoners speak to visitors through a glass barrier using a phone.

9 hours ago, smedly said:

OMG, what is Thailand not telling

You don't need to be in a Thai prison  to be a " super spreader. ".  I wonder if conspiracy theorist can find something the two had in common. ????

A British businessman who likely contracted coronavirus in Singapore, and traveled to France, Switzerland and England, is being dubbed a “super spreader” of the virus, because he has infected at least 11 people, the Washington Post reportedTuesday

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/what-is-a-coronavirus-covid-19-super-spreader-infections-explained.html

Edited by Suradit69

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:
2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Do people actually believe the nonsense printed in this newspaper? And I use the world 'newspaper' very lightly in this case.

What has probably happened is the guy has some disease, he collapsed, someone at the Sun heard about it, put 2 and 2 together came up with 5 and bingo it is the Coronavirus 

It sells newspapers

And he gets a nice payment for his story!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

f he caught it in the Bangkok Hilton I would be very concerned about going round bkk now.i hope not and it can be contained.

"if he caught it in the Bangkok Hilton I would be very concerned about going round bkk now"

You do know that "the Bangkok Hilton" is a prison that keeps all it's inmates inside?  They're not allowed to wander around Bangkok!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
2 hours ago, ChipButty said:
2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Do people actually believe the nonsense printed in this newspaper? And I use the world 'newspaper' very lightly in this case.

What has probably happened is the guy has some disease, he collapsed, someone at the Sun heard about it, put 2 and 2 together came up with 5 and bingo it is the Coronavirus 

It sells newspapers

And he gets a nice payment for his story!

I thought 'lags' were prohibited from receiving any money made from anything while they were doing bird.