Help with moving

YorkshireLad88

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why the hell would you want to live in Thailand? So many things are more expensive and of far inferior quality than in the UK. If you're looking for somewhere with a better climate then Spain or Portugal might be the answer. Cheaper than the UK too for many things. Easy to pop back now nd then to see friends and family too.

Tell me where I can buy a new 3 bedroom house for my family for 10% down and 10kbht/month inc property tax?

Edited by BritManToo

Dont Listen to the losers on here @YorkshireLad88. I moved here when I was 43 and have had some of the happiest years of my life....I actully wish i could have done it sooner. If you get yourself here and start to enjoy your life, you'll find a way to make it work. Even if you just do 6 months a year intially (two back to back SETV) it'll get you in the right mind set to forge a life in Thailand. If I moved back to the UK tmrw, completely skint, I'll always treasure the 6 fanatastic years I've had here, which no one can ever take away from me.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:

Last time i went to pattaya for 3 month and spent 20k lol so i guess my lifestyle isnt compatable oh well guess ill stick to holidays 

Seems to me you already can answer your own qeustion , don't know why you should ask . Spending 20k in 3 months how do you think you can live on 717 a month . 

Wow so much negativity thanks guy why are all yall so mad you live in the land of smiles should be happy and not bashing on someone who just wants advice. Thanks for the nice replys and advice guys i will save up instead and work till am 50 then maybe move their but most likely i will have a brit wife by then so doubt ill be moving my dreams over before it started.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:

Hi i got a pension of 717 pound per month is that enough to live in thailand...

717 x 40 = about 28,000 baht a month.

Are you aware of the visa requirement for long stay in Thailand?

If you have sorted out your visa-status for long stay, then you can survive for 28,000 baht – many Thais do – but it might not be that fun, if you also expect a drink now and then, and some entertainment by a bird from the nightlife.

Reasonably count 500 baht a day in living expenses excluding accommodation, which is another 5,000 baht or more a month for a cheap solution – you might find something for around 3,000 baht, but you might not wish to live there – so 20,000 baht are already gone.

You might not need to spend a fortune for local transportation, but what about health insurance, or du you have savings for a cash deposit in a "rainy day account" for emergency?

8,000 baht for extras can give you a bit, but not a lot, of fun and pleasure.

It's possible, but to be honest, I would, based on my experience from 15+ years here, have reservations about doing it...????

19 hours ago, jastheace said:

717 pounds / month. I won't go into it.

pipe dream yes. 

Its a tax free disability pension for ptsd when i was in iraq i know its not much but when i get to retirement age i will get a full pension so maybe be able to move then. For now i will just graft my ass off and save for a condo. Thanks for most of replys i appreciate it

• Like 1

OP do not join the jaded losers barley trying to scratch out a living in mouldy old fan rooms on pensions from the UK, Oz, and other countries that are woefully inadequate 

Spend 5 minutes reading through the threads here and you will experience extreme hate and bitterness 

Come back with real money to avoid falling into that abyss 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

In the UK without a mortgage or rent to pay and no car £717 could afford you as good a lifestyle as Thailand under certain conditions.

True but 2 bedroomed terraced houses in the south £250K average house price £190k . Build a nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom Bungalow in Nakhon Nowhere £20K to £40K. Small condo Pattaya £25K.

He has no house in the UK. Only an idea. Only the op can decide. 

My Thai step son his wife and toddler live on 16K Baht per month.

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maprao said:

True but 2 bedroomed terraced houses in the south £250K average house price £190k . Build a nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom Bungalow in Nakhon Nowhere £20K to £40K. Small condo Pattaya £25K.

He has no house in the UK. Only an idea. Only the op can decide. 

My Thai step son his wife and toddler live on 16K Baht per month.

How much would council tax etc cost me if i bought a condo? Have heard its better just to rent a place

8 hours ago, madmen said:

He must be ugly as sin 

At 31 I had a mini harem of REAL women, you know the ones that actually have tits. 

I couldn't have pointed to Thailand on an map lol

Im actually a goodlooking guy and younger than you so thats a plus ???? yeah sure you had many women in uk thats why you moved to thailand because you was knee deep in pussy haha tell another joke old man 

20 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:

How would i get a job in thailand i aint got a trade all i know is how to kill people 

Well, I spent many years in the USA army and you’d be surprised that your skill set can be parlayed into a career. I don’t know the equivalent of the U.K. version but there has to be some sort of veterans help out there.  I became a law enforcement officer and now going to use that pension to make my move to Thailand. Plus there are still opportunities out there is you look hard enough. First thing I would do is create a LinkedIn account and start networking with everyone you’d ever met in the service.  Then start expanding from there. 

direct message me if you need any help. I will always help a fellow warrior.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d be interested to know who you consider to be losers?

People without calculators. The UK might have some good stuff but on a budget arguing it's better doesn't add up. Thailand has beach bungalows and rooms for 10,000 baht. Fresh coconut for 25 baht. Massage 200 baht. 40 baht curries. Warm weather, women.

If he cannot afford that how would he afford high rents and power bills in the UK?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:

How much would council tax etc cost me if i bought a condo? Have heard its better just to rent a place

Visas are the problem. Just get a two month tourist visa to start. Head to Koh Chang to start. Work the rest out later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

717 x 40 = about 28,000 baht a month.

Are you aware of the visa requirement for long stay in Thailand?

If you have sorted out your visa-status for long stay, then you can survive for 28,000 baht – many Thais do – but it might not be that fun, if you also expect a drink now and then, and some entertainment by a bird from the nightlife.

Reasonably count 500 baht a day in living expenses excluding accommodation, which is another 5,000 baht or more a month for a cheap solution – you might find something for around 3,000 baht, but you might not wish to live there – so 20,000 baht are already gone.

You might not need to spend a fortune for local transportation, but what about health insurance, or du you have savings for a cash deposit in a "rainy day account" for emergency?

8,000 baht for extras can give you a bit, but not a lot, of fun and pleasure.

It's possible, but to be honest, I would, based on my experience from 15+ years here, have reservations about doing it...????

"If you have sorted out your visa-status for long stay."

How's is he going to do that? He'll need an agent every year which will charge him maximum fee because of not meeting "any" requirement what so ever. That might cost him 20-25k. This guy doesn't have a clue about visas incl requirements. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"If you have sorted out your visa-status for long stay."

How's is he going to do that? He'll need an agent every year which will charge him maximum fee because of not meeting "any" requirement what so ever. That might cost him 20-25k. This guy doesn't have a clue about visas incl requirements. 

He states he is 31 years old, so probably no need for an agent, but rather use his (little) savings on an Elite Card...????

46 minutes ago, khunPer said:

He states he is 31 years old, so probably no need for an agent, but rather use his (little) savings on an Elite Card...????

He said he didn't have ฿800k saved. I doubt he even has the equivalent to ฿500k in the bank with his lousy pension. If he can't afford an Elite Visa, then an agent is the only solution. If he can barely afford an Elite Visa, then he's got no money saved for a rainy day. With only £717/month I would re-think the decision to move here.  

On 2/12/2020 at 4:57 AM, YorkshireLad88 said:

Lol omg how do you know i live near fitzwilliam are u some kinda spy??? Serious tho can i live their on pension or is it nothing but a pipe dream?

I do quite comfortably thank you, but i don't bother with bar girls anymore