Visa Elite best option ? (vs retirement or marriage)

32 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

It's the health insurance threat that is potentially the killer

I think without health insurance your potential killer is that you end up in hospital and can't pay the bills for a treatment which might save your life.

Interesting topic. 

One question: can you apply from your own country ...or do you need to do it when in Thailand (and if so, can you do it with a tourist visa)?

Thanks 

Edited by xtof2

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I'd hardly call being asked a couple of questions, interrogation!!

For some people it’s been a lot more than a couple of questions , it’s been interrogation as we’ve all read in countless posts here. Personally I’ve never had an issue when arriving. At CW I’ve rarely had issues but some IOs there are very unpleasant for no other reason than they can be. 
I wouldn’t blame anyone for spending the money on avoiding visits to immigration.

6 hours ago, Sambotte said:

That's the main point imo.

I am a traveller, but find Thailand the best place, and want to be able to live in maybe 6-8 months a year, variable, free (no planning).

And the Elite visa is not necesarely more costly in fact.

Could some "Elite members" confirm there is absolutely no known problem with this Visa ? 

Never had problem with mine either. Great service 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Could some "Elite members" confirm there is absolutely no known problem with this Visa ? 

We had a guy here on Thaivisa who failed to extend his Thailand Elite visa after a year, because he misunderstood how the visa works.

He used Thailand Elite to do the 90 day reports for him, which they did, but neither Thailand Elite nor immigration noticed that he was on overstay when doing the 90 day report.

At the next 90 day report immigration noticed that he is on overstay since a few months already, then he got banned from Thailand.

Of course it was his own fault, but it also shows that Thailand Elite just doesn't give a <deleted> about their members.

The overstay was obviously a mistake (by the person, as well as Thailand Elite), and i guess it would have been possible to waive the ban if Thailand Elite had pushed the matter with immigration.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

We had a guy here on Thaivisa who failed to extend his Thailand Elite visa after a year, because he misunderstood how the visa works.

He used Thailand Elite to do the 90 day reports for him, which they did, but neither Thailand Elite nor immigration noticed that he was on overstay when doing the 90 day report.

At the next 90 day report immigration noticed that he is on overstay since a few months already, then he got banned from Thailand.

Of course it was his own fault, but it also shows that Thailand Elite just doesn't give a <deleted> about their members.

The overstay was obviously a mistake (by the person, as well as Thailand Elite), and i guess it would have been possible to waive the ban if Thailand Elite had pushed the matter with immigration.

They make it absolutely clear in their TOS and Emails you receive that you get a 1 year stamp on entry.

That guy was an absolute idiot, how u can buy a visa for 1 mio thb and don't even  READ THE EMAILS AND WEBSITE of it is just stupidity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

The issues are actually complex for someone like me (70, healthy, planning to be here till the end, OA retirement visa originally, now on annual extension with monthly 65K+ income stream, no health insurance but do have Thai accident insurance, not poor but not wealthy).

It's the health insurance threat that is potentially the killer (though I recognize that I should have some). Renewal coming up in October. At this stage I'm thinking of trying out the approved Thai health insurance for 1 year, or even 2 to see if it works for me. Alternative is elite 5 years. (20-year elite strikes me as silly unless you're filthy rich - too many risks associated with old age & living in Thailand!)

Hi mfd101,

You will most probably be interested in this.

>> I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap containing all details/options on how to switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Going that road there is no need for the @#$% thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, and that's the ONLY difference between the two as the requirements/conditions for an extension based on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa are further exactly the same as for an extension for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm OA Visa. 

Obviously it is highly recommended to make sure you are well-covered health-insurance wise, so the money saved on not succumbing to the exorbitantly expensive thai IO-approved Mickey Mouse HI policies that meet the IO requirements, can then be spend on a decent international (or thai) policy that provides real coverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Type O retirement annual extension, renewed last week. I 90 day report online. It takes 3 minutes. I use income method which means once a year I show bank statements. I keep no savings account for immigration purposes. Doing this 4 years now. Easy! No more TM28 issue. Easier! I have health and accident insurance, but type O currently does NOT require insurance.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity insurance
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi mfd101,

You will most probably be interested in this.

>> I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap containing all details/options on how to switch to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.  Going that road there is no need for the @#$% thai IO-approved health-insurance scam, and that's the ONLY difference between the two as the requirements/conditions for an extension based on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa are further exactly the same as for an extension for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm OA Visa. 

Obviously it is highly recommended to make sure you are well-covered health-insurance wise, so the money saved on not succumbing to the exorbitantly expensive thai IO-approved Mickey Mouse HI policies that meet the IO requirements, can then be spend on a decent international (or thai) policy that provides real coverage.

Thanks for that. I shall read with interest. My hesitation re converting from OA-derived to O relates mostly to possible later extension of health insurance requirement to O. And then hesitations about the process of converting - but I think your message will be particularly helpful in that regard. At this stage, with 7 months till renewal, I'm keeping all options open.

Thanks once again.

• Like 1

Consider the opportunity cost of the million baht lost also. That million baht could be put to work (invested) and produce more than enough to cover all extension cost per year. Better yet, put in a life policy or another vehicle for family members down the road. 

Immigration is a hassle no doubt but not worth the loss off million baht or the monies produced from that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

It's obviously not about a day at immigration a year ????

- Airport : i would like to know how frequent this is, but i was on retirement visa extension, re-entry, and have been interrogated by a IO about anything, if i did the visa myself, if i had my bankbook, why i was changing address... Kind of not confortable.

- When you renew your retirement or marriage, you never know, <deleted> happens ????

Last minute change like having to go outside to sort things could cost you a lot.

- 90 days : now you are not sure it will be ok, could be a problem for the next extension (if you miss it).

- You go under 400K or 800K just one time : your extension is dead. 

- Those could make a lot of time and stress at immigration.

- And now the health insurrance. 

- You need a fix address (and a lease of 1 year at least i have been told last time) for retirement extension.

- Etc.

NOTHING OF THAT with the Elite visa, right ?

Maybe the 90 days but you don't care if you don't, no retirement extension to do again with all papers.

All the "cheap" (i say with kind of humour) visas have been dramatically changed the last years. Overstays (yep i know it's not a visa), tourist, exemption (frequency), student, retirement (for marriage i don't know but there are some posts).

WHAT NEXT ? Because to me it's obviously not mistakes, as i said, Thailand does not need long-stay-farangs anymore, actually they don't want, unless you have money ! It's just business, easy to understand, Thailand is very business. And not a cheap country anymore.

No offense but those saying "hu, what, for 1 day at immig per year ?..." may have missed a few changes, or are in denial.

So... Looks much, much, better, if one can pay.

Will the Elite visa stay the same ? Probably, and pretty surely for the duration of what you largely PAID for (makes a big difference).

Cost : yes, Elite is gone money, but for quality (and certainty).

Retirement 800K for example is : you can get your money back BUT THEN GOODBYE EXTENSIONS (possibly re-doable but that's not SO sure...). Not really certainty.

Last : Retirement with 800K well is more than 500K Elite anyway too.

But i'm not here to argue. Just thinking.

So no report of problem with Elite Visa ? 

Rubbish....I just swapped from marriage to retirement last year, I do not need to keep 800K  "tied up" in my bank !!!

Not everyone on a "retirement visa" is "retired".....so for me I would be "wasting" money on an "Elite Visa"....refrain from "generalising everyone in the same basket in future ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can’t spend the money on something else... You have it locked away in a Bank Account awaiting your next renewal. 

Again.....Rubbish....

I just swapped from marriage to retirement last year, I do not need to keep 800K  "tied up" in my bank !!!

Not everyone on a "retirement visa" is "retired".....so for me I would be "wasting" money on an "Elite Visa"....refrain from "generalising everyone in the same basket in future ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xtof2 said:

One question: can you apply from your own country ...or do you need to do it when in Thailand (and if so, can you do it with a tourist visa)?

Yes, you can apply from your own country. Everything can be done online, very easy. Immigration seems to be taking about a month to approve the application for most people, though it can take longer. You don’t pay anything until approval by Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t knock anybody for doing extensions every year with the issues involved in that. By the same token I don’t knock anyone for choosing to spend a lot of THEIR money on an Elite visa. It’s THEIR money and not MY business.

Beyond jealousy I can’t see another reason to obsess over how people spend their own money.

• Thanks 2