Eating in the fifties

JWRC

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

in 2020 with 4 kids, on our table we don't have iPads, tables or cell phones, any back talk and it's a week without, just the other day one of the 15 year old boys said to their mum, why can we only have our mobiles between 7.30pm and 9pm on weeknights and 10am-11am and 7.30pm-10.00pm weekends when our friends have them 24/7, my wife replied with, because your papa is a generous man, would you like me to ask him, no, no, no, was his reply ????

We allow the boys 15 to watch Netflix till midnight weekends, albeit they went to 1.30am this morning when asked, no lies, no punishment.

No elbows and no hats/hoodies, the hoodies I took to with the scissors, so no more hoodies period. Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, and I have to say, the challengers are quite educational for them, as we have an answer for everything...lol ????

Sounds like a possible recipe for rebellion and adult issues.

But, everyone has the right to raise their kids as they please.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like a possible recipe for rebellion and adult issues.

But, everyone has the right to raise their kids as they please.

Nah, all good, we know when to back off, uppercut...lol

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, beef dripping with a dash of salt, and not to forget when the greens were cooked, the water was poured into cups with a dash of salt, us kids loved it....

remember that well, mam's shriek on a Sunday "who wants the cabbage water" ! or "Who's getting the meat tin", to wipe out with fresh bread ...mmmmmmm, great days, before settling down to watch the Sunday afternoon film.

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

We never had a telly till I was about 10, my mother knew someone who had one and she would let me watch The Lone Ranger once a week, oh how I loved kimosabi.

We were the first in our street to have a telly, 1953, the street were in our house watching the Coronation...????

• Like 1

In 1910, my then 10 year old Grandfather sat down with his immigrant parents and 10 brothers and sisters and had a chicken for Sunday dinner.

A chicken.

I always was taught to finish what was on my plate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

No, but they do say yes sir, 3 bags full sir, when ask them to do something, now where they got that from I have no idea ????

It's difficult being a parent, because it's an unskilled occupation. All one can do is pass on one's own values.

I consider good influences outside the family circle also help. In my son's case, I think becoming interested in martial arts ( 3rd dan black belt ) was the making of him in terms of self-discipline. Unfortunately, there is also the old saw of "getting in with a bad crowd".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, transam said:

We were the first in our street to have a telly, 1953, the street were in our house watching the Coronation...????

Our family never owned a car and must have been well into their forties before they got a telephone. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, there is also the old saw of "getting in with a bad crowd".

Both my wife and I had been there, done that, both the wiser and knew how to keep moving, so we pass that on to the kids, and reinforce that we have their BEST interests at heart, and don't want them to go down the wrong road because it's hard to turn back, and we have shown them plenty of examples of kids their age that they know, and have shown them the future and the bad and told them that these two unqualified teachers will raise them till it is time for them to leave the nest, and hopefully they take with them some of the things we have taught and shown them, the rest will be up to them.

45 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I remember my dad bringing a banana for me ,i took the skin to school to show my friends, i can remember my Grans kitchen ,always fresh baked cakes and home made jam.

Nanny used to cook fantastic food and i went to private school(day boy) until i was 12 we used to toast bread in the school kitchen and put lots of dripping on it lovely (posh wasnt i) ???? actually every one of my family even have letters after their name and 2 awards ,all except me ,not so posh after all.????

actually we did have a nanny until i was about 14,i was the eldest.

happy happy days. 

I remember being at my public school, I was a 6th former, we used to toast bread on the open fire, we'd then get the first year oinks to bend over and use their ar#e as a toast rack!

????????

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

I remember being at my public school, I was a 6th former, we used to toast bread on the open fire, we'd then get the first year oinks to bend over and use their ar#e as a toast rack!

????????

How many slices could you get in the crevice. Buttered or unbuttered?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chicken was a luxury.

Indeed! was thinking about Sunday dinners recently, chicken must have been expensive back then, guess they were real chickens though, not "manufactured" as they are now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

????????

You've raised too many mental images for me to cope with. Did the toast taste any better?

If I was a first year oink, I would have made sure I had beans for breakfast, a la Blazing Saddles.

• Haha 1

Today it would be like this if there was respect and true families, but then it was the 70's not the 50's. Ward was only rough on the Beaver back then.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wait+till+your+father+gets+home+cartoon&view=detail&mid=749CDD56D7E033B8D414749CDD56D7E033B8D414&FORM=VIRE

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, transam said:

I don't know if we were the only ones on our street to have a TV in 1953, but I remember this coronation when I was only 3 years old.
We lived in Argenteuil in Seine and Oise, near Paris (remember that I am French :giggle:); TV was loaned to us by one of my uncles who was a non-commissioned officer and was stationed in Germany; the antenna was at the end of a large bamboo posed against a wall in the living room / dining room.

I also remember eating avocado, there were none in stores in France at that time.
It had been reported by another uncle who was radio-navigating in the airline T.A.I (which no longer exists); this avocado came from Madagascar ....

( T.A.I = Transports Aériens Intercontinentaux )

https://sites.google.com/site/essai228/aviation-civile/compagnies-aeriennes-a-z/t-a-i---transports-aeriens-intercontinentaux

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CGW said:
5 hours ago, JWRC said:

The one thing that we never had on/at our table in the fifties, was elbows, hats and cell phones.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

You had a table! proper bloody posh weren't you! :shock1:

That's how we all used to eat until the TV came along! ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's how we all used to eat until the TV came along! ????

Then it was TV Trays...o yes, that was a special time when I could eat out in the living room. Never got to eat at the big table in the dining area, had to always sit at the folding table in the kitchen when the parents had a get together, and then I was relegated to the back of the house...

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

I was in my mid twenties by the time I learned that pizzas are not meant to be deep fried (yes, I’m Scottish)

Slinging the pies in the chip pan another bad habit in Scotland 

4 hours ago, transam said:

Yep, beef dripping with a dash of salt, and not to forget when the greens were cooked, the water was poured into cups with a dash of salt, us kids loved it....

I can taste it to this day ,the cook used to roast the meat and all the dripping was in tins ,,it was fanbloody tastic,the taste on a thick slice of bread ,best thing i have ever eaten in my life all the boys rushed there at break to get some ,even better than the wifes Brocolie and boiled egg ,salad ,dont ask i dont know how she makes it ,sounds not very nice ,but tastes so bloody good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

in 2020 with 4 kids, on our table we don't have iPads, tables or cell phones, any back talk and it's a week without, just the other day one of the 15 year old boys said to their mum, why can we only have our mobiles between 7.30pm and 9pm on weeknights and 10am-11am and 7.30pm-10.00pm weekends when our friends have them 24/7, my wife replied with, because your papa is a generous man, would you like me to ask him, no, no, no, was his reply ????

We allow the boys 15 to watch Netflix till midnight weekends, albeit they went to 1.30am this morning when asked, no lies, no punishment.

No elbows and no hats/hoodies, the hoodies I took to with the scissors, so no more hoodies period. Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, and I have to say, the challengers are quite educational for them, as we have an answer for everything...lol ????

Don’t know why people think you’re being so harsh.  I had a mother that would have made “mommy dearest” look tame by comparison.  Thank goodness she died before my dad did.

• Thanks 2