New changes to Immigration Chiang Mai

Went today to Chiang Mai Immigration to make my 90 day report. I was told 2 things.

1st:

the 90 day reporting no longer is done by this Immigration office. Instead the officer there told to go tomorrow,  Monday, to the Promenada Mall Chiang Mai, 2nd floor to do my 90 day reporting.

2nd:

I also was informed when you enter Thailand from overseas, and you returning to your old address again, then you no longer need to report to the immigration office, on arrival. But if you return to a new address, then you need to see immigration and report to them the changes.

Has anyone else already known these changes, and may be able that this is correct of what I did learn to my total surprise today?

Replies appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

1st. Correct 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2445028079096253&id=1641000472832355

2nd Correct also. I know this as I last entered from abroad a year ago and never reported to immigration however, 90 day online reporting continued on as normal. I was expecting to get the "Report to office" message, but no such luck.

Let us hope there is a consistency in the change as CNX IMO changes like a traffic light on interpretation.

will move services including 90 days report to Promenada Department Store by 2nd March 2020.

Example above: all services or just some???? Squinting at the FB notice they only open Monday to Friday 0900 to 1700, whereas the current airport building opens on weekends.

14 minutes ago, CMBob said:

What's new in the OP's post is TM30 updating is no longer required after re-entering the country to return to one's old TM30-registered address.  I hope that's true....but will wait for further confirmation.

But if you spend a night at a hotel before returning home and the hotel submits a TM30 the TM30 database will show the last address you stayed is that hotel. So in theory you would need to do a new TM30 when you get home.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jurg said:

2nd:

I also was informed when you enter Thailand from overseas, and you returning to your old address again, then you no longer need to report to the immigration office, on arrival. But if you return to a new address, then you need to see immigration and report to them the changes.

Has anyone else already known these changes, and may be able that this is correct of what I did learn to my total surprise today?

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

What's new in the OP's post is TM30 updating is no longer required after re-entering the country to return to one's old TM30-registered address.  I hope that's true....but will wait for further confirmation.

Exactly,  it is the TM30.

This was actually hinted at in the announcement about the TM28, but the way it was stated was so freaking convoluted you had no real clue if that is what they actually meant. Bloody IO in action. I guess we just wait for more reports like the OP -

And thank you very much Mr Jurg! 

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Interesting. Haven’t done a TM 30 since last overseas trip in November last. ( Jomtien office) but will ask next time I’m down there.

thanks for posting for general info.

Jomtien is not Chiang Mai. CM Immigration has always done things their way. 

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

The statement is probably correct and would imply that CM - like CW - has stopped enforcing TM30 compliance when a foreigner is applying for a service that needs his address.

However, that does not mean that TM30 is scrapped.  Hotels, guesthouses, rental condo's, etc in short any place where a foreigner is staying will still need to report the arrival of that foreigner within 24 hours of his arrival.

And if they fail to do so, they can get fined (2.000 THB per foreigner/day not reported), but it will not have any consequences anymore for the foreigner that needs to have a service from the IO.

5 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Didn't you lot read what immigration put out recently.

If you sleep at hotel for the night.

No TM 30 required 

Only if you change to a new home address.

NO, I did not read that.  Can you please provide a link.

Note: If you refer to the article on TM28, that info was correct, but it had no bearing with TM30 at all.

7 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Didn't you lot read what immigration put out recently.

If you sleep at hotel for the night.

No TM 30 required 

Only if you change to a new home address.

Returning from abroad still requires TM30 report.

19 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Returning from abroad still requires TM30 report.

I presume you're referring to updating a TM30 registration; regardless,  what you're saying has been the case for a couple+ years but the OP is reporting he was told no updating is required if returning to Thailand to the same TM30 registered address.  More reports will confirm who is correct.  

2 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Interesting. Haven’t done a TM 30 since last overseas trip in November last. ( Jomtien office) but will ask next time I’m down there.

thanks for posting for general info.

I find it best to keep schtum, let them ask you!

It doesn't make sense to me that they are no longer requiring an "update" to your TM30 when you return from an overseas trip since your TM6 departure/arrival card number will change.  Or have they stopped using TM6 cards?  There was talk of that.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

It doesn't make sense to me that they are no longer requiring an "update" to your TM30 when you return from an overseas trip since your TM6 departure/arrival card number will change.  Or have they stopped using TM6 cards?  There was talk of that.  

No, foreigners still use them. Surely the TM6 can be linked to a passport number on arrival. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

It sure would make sense to not require a TM30 when returning to the same Thailand residence after overseas travels.  But since "This Is Thailand" making sense may not be applicable.

The TM6-card number changes when you come back from abroad. That's one of the reasons for a new TM30 report even if it can easily be updated at the Immigration office if they wanted to do it. 

• Sad 1