No Thai law to mandate quarantine of Thais returning from South Korea – DPM Prawit

webfact

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm pretty sure the emergency dangerous disease declaration the government just enacted and published in the Royal Gazette gives health authorities the power to do pretty much whatever they want in the interest of preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

When do Thais ever take notice of laws?

Asking them to self quarantine is like asking a Soi dog not to lift its back leg

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

When do Thais ever take notice of laws?

Asking them to self quarantine is like asking a Soi dog not to lift its back leg

Two different issues...

1. is people here claiming the government doesn't have the legal authority to enforce mandatory quarantines, which I believe is clearly a mistaken view.

2. is will the returning Thais observe the supposed 14 day self-quarantine that the government says they're going to enforce (though whether they actually will is a whole different matter). On that point, I share your view.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Give  him a break on that ! Legal mandate or not in practical terms how  could it be done? Where and in  what facilities does Thailand have to quarantine any large number of people? What country  does?

Were any such country including Thailand to attempt such including all facilities on top of best medical provision it would  be political suicide.

Or would it be acceptable to inflict  detention camp style incarceration on citizens to satisfy public paranoia? Mexican  Border style, Syrian refugee style, etc?

Get  used to the fact that the  acid test is  already  underway.

Not as any measure of any attempts in interventionist controls.

A measure of the tenacity of both this virus and  people.

China  has  experienced its  pandemic.

Thailand has to date only had localized epidemics which have been measurable.

As an ongoing effect of the impact on business and employment there are already increasing numbers of people departing the generalized centres of those  epidemic. Potential carriers of infection who despite never needing or requiring medical attention are dispersing out into wider areas or other provinces.

Now is  why I suggest the "acid test". If there is to be a significant pandemic it will start to appear soon.

Or, as  many are hoping, it will diminish with the weather.

I wonder if UK Bookies are  giving  any odds?

Excellent post 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:02 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Give  him a break on that ! Legal mandate or not in practical terms how  could it be done? Where and in  what facilities does Thailand have to quarantine any large number of people? What country  does?

Were any such country including Thailand to attempt such including all facilities on top of best medical provision it would  be political suicide.

Or would it be acceptable to inflict  detention camp style incarceration on citizens to satisfy public paranoia? Mexican  Border style, Syrian refugee style, etc?

Get  used to the fact that the  acid test is  already  underway.

Not as any measure of any attempts in interventionist controls.

A measure of the tenacity of both this virus and  people.

China  has  experienced its  pandemic.

Thailand has to date only had localized epidemics which have been measurable.

As an ongoing effect of the impact on business and employment there are already increasing numbers of people departing the generalized centres of those  epidemic. Potential carriers of infection who despite never needing or requiring medical attention are dispersing out into wider areas or other provinces.

Now is  why I suggest the "acid test". If there is to be a significant pandemic it will start to appear soon.

Or, as  many are hoping, it will diminish with the weather.

I wonder if UK Bookies are  giving  any odds?

They could stage the return to ensure manageable numbers. SK have given them until June to leave.

these gangsters were only in this power grab for greed and China’s greed and control freak attitude, human rights and helping people wasn’t in their minds or never will be, now they have a pandemic which needs good honest leadership, a pandemic brought to the world by CCP China who lied and covered up the true state from early December letting the virus infect in China and now the whole world, already US and other countries are creating temporary buildings to be used for an outbreak and quarantine, it’s not hard to do if you cared for your population, but nah not with these gangsters, just make sure the US dollar bills are cleaned to hoard around the world