Has Thailand had enough of Western tourists and their ‘entitlement’?

webfact

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I have seen them loudly reprimanding bank employees and customer service workers who are politely going about their jobs... 

seems a bit narrow minded and silly to come to Thailand and berate Thai people for being Thai... 

We must travel in different circles. I never see that unless they are getting ripped off and they usually do not realize that fact tell after the fact. 

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Not to sound like an old man 'cause I'm still in my mid-thirties, but they were the good old days. 

You don't need to rewind 15 years - the good old days were actually still there as recently as 3 or 4 years ago. Triple entry tourist visas were easily available back to back (for years on end) right up until November 2015 when the METV was brought in. They were a third of the cost of the METV, applications were always accepted, and were obtainable by post in 3 or 4 days with no supporting documentation. Entering via airport or land order was never an issue - though a few years ago most entry options remained straightforward and the chaos of the past couple of years would have been hard to imagine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You don't need to rewind 15 years - the good old days were actually still there as recently as 3 or 4 years ago. Triple entry tourist visas were easily available back to back (for years on end) right up until November 2015 when the METV was brought in. They were a third of the cost of the METV, applications were always accepted, and were obtainable by post in 3 or 4 days with no supporting documentation. Entering via airport or land order was never an issue - though a few years ago most entry options remained straightforward and the chaos of the past couple of years would have been hard to imagine. 

Sure, but when I did it you could move as freely as you liked. No need for double/triple entry visas. You just came and went as you pleased. Many tourists were doing this. 

49 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

We must travel in different circles. I never see that unless they are getting ripped off

incidents at the mall... one old guy was screaming on the top of his lungs from outside a Bkk Bank about a problem with his debit card which from the little I heard had nothing to do with Bkk Bank... he said he had been having the problem for a year... he was angry and frustrated and likely a bit demented... another fellow was somewhat calmly explaining to AIS how business should be done... or how it is done in his country [when done correctly]... it was a Sunday and likely nothing she could do anyway other than register the complaint/problem...

these are not circles I travel in... just observations when out.. and neither was being ripped off... and seems from this forum that being ripped off is 'anything not done like it is at home' or has to do with the price of beer going up 2 baht..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Sure, but when I did it you could move as freely as you liked. No need for double/triple entry visas. You just came and went as you pleased. Many tourists were doing this. 

I was around in those years too, ever since the late 90s. No visa class was an issue back then, you were always guaranteed reentry, and overstay was viewed as a trivial matter by immigration, with no future repercussions.

My point though is it's not necessary to rewind too far - the major crackdowns on foreigners (on every kind of visa class) are extremely recent and didn't really start until a few short years ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Maybe you dont have to go back 15 years for more accommodating  immigration  policies. But you have to go back about 12 years (not the distant past at all) for a beach promenade environment like this. Photo just across  from the Pattayslands just above walking street. Take a look now at that sorry construction mess that has been there for 5 years ?. And even when if ever that disaster zone is over it for sure will not ever look like this again. 

For those that dont understand why some folks around here complain about these endless drainage projects: 

Anymore questions.  

doc25027620200306094401_001.jpg

Edited by morrobay

On 3/4/2020 at 4:56 AM, gt162 said:

"Thailand decided to go after the Chinese tourists and that's fair enough. But why did they give up on, seemingly try to dissuade Western tourists from coming? That makes no business sense and now it's coming back to bite them in the <deleted>. I guess that's what happens when a bunch of spoilt soldiers run a country.  You've made your bed now. Adapt or die. "

I think it's more of getting rid of "bad or undesirable" Western tourist and expats. Not everybody has the money to visit or live in Thailand. And small percentage of rotten Farangs are causing this for rest of us.

What are they causing for u so u must be super rich is at why u live in thailand because your poor  

23 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You are correct when you say "except we have a brain". Most westerners tend to think but most asians tend to follow. Follow the herd, keep up with the tour guide's flag, on the bus, off the bus, gem store, overcrowded island, crappy restauarant. Everything done for them. Westerners are prepared to research and ask questions. Maybe that's why so many are avoiding Thailand... 

Looking at Top 25 arrivals by nationality doesn't look like so many Westerners are avoiding Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#International_rankings

• Like 1

What a pile of junk article! "Entitlement"? If there's any entitlement its from some in Thailand who think Western Farangs have to spend money on what they push in our face  and accept their ***** service and scams.

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Take it anyway you please. 

Of course you're right rkidlad  but there are some who get really pissy when they hear the facts.  And to think they have thousands of posts on TV and then whine about it. Its called Hypocrisy 

Edited by pixelaoffy

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Take a look now at that sorry construction mess that has been there for 5 years ?

The current construction mess only goes back to last July. Though prior to that was the beach widening project that dealt with a section at a time over a couple of years. 

9 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The current construction mess only goes back to last July. Though prior to that was the beach widening project that dealt with a section at a time over a couple of years. 

Have you ever been to Pattaya because you don't know what your talking about.  Before this drain project there was the major drain pipe projects at North end, soi6 and South end. That project was a construction trailer trash mess for at least 5 years. Do a search next time before making a foolish reply. There are even thaivisa threads and news about it. You people that make replies like this obviously don't care about you credibility. 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Have you ever been to Pattaya because you don't know what your talking about.  Before this drain project there was the major drain pipe projects at North end, soi6 and South end. That project was a construction trailer trash mess for at least 5 years. Do a search next time before making a foolish reply. There are even thaivisa threads and news about it. You people that make replies like this obviously don't care about you credibility. 

Maybe too much Chang is fogging your memory. I visit two to three weekends a month, sometimes every week and have done for well over a decade. The drain replacement project has been a blight for several years, sure, but it only usually affected a short stretch at a time. It's certainly not 12 years like you claim in your earlier thread. 

28 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Maybe too much Chang is fogging your memory. I visit two to three weekends a month, sometimes every week and have done for well over a decade. The drain replacement project has been a blight for several years, sure, but it only usually affected a short stretch at a time. It's certainly not 12 years like you claim in your earlier thread. 

And why does it take so long? like every other construction project its about Money! and some are getting it rather it being spent on a project that could have been finished years ago

8 hours ago, morrobay said:

Photo just across  from the Pattayslands just above walking street. Take a look now at that sorry construction mess that has been there for 5 years 

doc25027620200306094401_001.jpg

Before this latest project was a major drainpipe project with pipes going out 100 s of meters into the bay with offshore barges and workboats. That project started in 2015 and was a failure, all the pipes filled up with sand. In 2013 the beach road widening project started. So this area in photo just above walking street was destroyed about 7 years ago and due to these pork barrel drainage projects this once nice promenade has been one sorry construction mess. 

Edited by morrobay

17 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

And why does it take so long? like every other construction project its about Money! and some are getting it rather it being spent on a project that could have been finished years ago

Why does it take so long? I ask this same question over most projects. This is what I generally compare against. Millau Viaduct, France. 3 years from start of construction to finish. 

yes.. yes I know it’s comparing apples to oranges but it shows what can be achieved if the mindset is there.

152F6A1E-1E78-4D25-A11D-EF78B1BE29B0.jpeg.081d6201d615a09e419a660cceac49ca.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, bloodyholly said:

Why does it take so long? I ask this same question over most projects. This is what I generally compare against. Millau Viaduct, France. 3 years from start of construction to finish. 

yes.. yes I know it’s comparing apples to oranges but it shows what can be achieved if the mindset is there.

152F6A1E-1E78-4D25-A11D-EF78B1BE29B0.jpeg.081d6201d615a09e419a660cceac49ca.jpeg

If that project took 3 years then every project in Pattaya should be about 3 minutes

• Like 1

CCF0820-00000.jpg

Top is the 2015 major drain project that included installing a sorry mess of construction trailers trash just above walking st. that were removed just in time for the construction mess for this latest pork barrel project. See photos starting on post #11. That project was a failure with all the pipes filling with sand because pumps were not part of project.

The photo took in the 00's shows what a nice promenade used to look like. That area now is an utter wasteland. I guess thats why thailand is looking for oblivious chinese and indians that dont call them out on these disasters. 

This is from the 2015 drain project that included installing one sorry mess of construction trailers trash just above walking st. The project was a total failure with all pipes filling up with sand because pumps were not included. The construction trailers were removed just in time for this latest pork barrel project with the continuation of that disaster zone just above walking st. 

The 'pattaya unplugged' article cited by the scmp was written by Adam Judd who has reinvented himself as a journalist after a previous working life as a supermarket employee in the US. He then had a five year stint as a performing alcoholic, cross-dressing 'bar manager' and brothel keeper for a bar on soi 6 Pattaya. It's quite hilarious to read that he is now being cited as a source of journalistic integrity. 

LOL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, teacherbrendan said:

The 'pattaya unplugged' article cited by the scmp was written by Adam Judd who has reinvented himself as a journalist after a previous working life as a supermarket employee in the US. He then had a five year stint as a performing alcoholic, cross-dressing 'bar manager' and brothel keeper for a bar on soi 6 Pattaya. It's quite hilarious to read that he is now being cited as a source of journalistic integrity. 

LOL.

Standards here are high.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Standards here are high.

Common theme throughout the media cartel in sin city. Niels Colov of the Pattaya People was a former Danish mafiaoso, his sons were arrested a few years ago on a major drug trafficking charge, pretty sure the guy behind the Pattaya Mail had to skip town and was banged up recently in the US. The SCMP really ought to check its sources. The original Pattaya Unplugged article was laughable and this may well be even worse.

• Like 2

Entitlement, well I guess were paying for that entightlement if thats how you want to look at it. So the Chinese and indian people dont feel like their entitled? Be careful Thailand about the people you insult on a daily basis on here, whose going to pay your bills in the future China, or India ya OK.

• Haha 1