Member of public calls immigration: Japanese pensioner whose Thai wife died found hiding on overstay

webfact

3 minutes ago, Swede65 said:

OMG, I chuckled at the first two and LOL:d the third as I'm Swedish!!! And "we" eat surströmming, fermented fish, that makes pla ra smell like summer fields!!! 

Kudos tifino!

'Been There Done (Smelt) That' ???? ???? ????            ???? 

• Haha 2

Regardless of whose “business” it is or is not aside, it appears that the facts are he is/was in an overstay status - and as such, has rule afoul of Thai law.  I do have empathy for him, but at the same time, can’t also turn a blind eye to violation of law.

Do I think this is perhaps overkill?  Sure, I think that a case can be made for that.. but again, the facts (as I have read and interpret them) are that he is/was on overstay status, thus became subject to enforcement action..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"Good Samaritan" my ar*e, more like "Nosey B*stard". 

The use of "Good Samaritan" in inverted commas sort of shows that the translator is using poetic license. Having read the article, in the context used, a more accurate translation would be "good citizen" or "upstanding citizen".   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It would be good if apprentice Thai journalists use the right expressions because to write "good Samaritan" when it is about delation .. Not exactly the same thing :post-4641-1156693976:
"the neighbor figure in the parable is the man who shows mercy to the injured man — that is, the Samaritan."

Reminder: delation is the national sport in Thailand :annoyed:

Good rat would be more accurate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

curious to know if those nine generalisations (9 in one little post!) are based on your personal experience after living in Japan. Or are they just ordinary generalisations?

I have never been to Japan but from what I read about living indexes,  newspaper reports themselves, photographs etc.

If you can find me a report that contradicts these 9 generalisations, please provide the links.

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world with world class medical health etc. All these are reported in newspaper reports.

The only complaint I hear from Japanese is it is a very stressful society but these people are already retired.

Living in Thailand they would have trouble with the language, culture, food and weather. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Phetchabun immigration utilised the now infamous BMW "Smart Car" to arrest a Japanese man living alone in the Wang Chomphu sub-district. 

Immigration were called in by a member of the public and the German Smart Car immediately drove to the house of the Japanese gangster without any Data input by the Immigration.

Gotta love these Smart cars. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It would be good if apprentice Thai journalists use the right expressions because to write "good Samaritan" when it is about delation .. Not exactly the same thing :post-4641-1156693976:
"the neighbor figure in the parable is the man who shows mercy to the injured man — that is, the Samaritan."

Reminder: delation is the national sport in Thailand :annoyed:

Probably the ThaiVisa translator since the original article is in Thai, which uses a  Thai term which could just be directly translated as a "good citizen". 

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Everybody attacking Thai Immigration for doing their job. The Japanese guy knew the rules when he entered the country....he was an illigal immigrant...the same kind that you all rail against when inside the borders of your own sovereign nations....get him out...if you don't have the decency or the smarts to obey local laws as a guest in a foreign country....then you deserve arrest and deportation.

and  harpooning  surely  at  the  very  least!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He was just minding his own business in his house, it all seemed very suspicious, the informant told immigration

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. He probably wasn't drinking enough bad booze and being loud enough so it came across as suspect to his neighbors 

• Like 1