Member of public calls immigration: Japanese pensioner whose Thai wife died found hiding on overstay

webfact

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Read the link.

Not impossible 

Good luck Chikenlegs!

I read the link - impossible. Need to have history of work permits and tax returns.

Edit to add: I think there may be a route to citizenship for foreign women married to Thai man, but not sure.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The land of smiles? If you marry one of ours and no matter how long you live here, if she dies and you don't bother to renew your visa, like the rest of us do, f* off.  That's the reality.

Did he "not bother" to renew his visa (extend his permission to remain), or did he not have the required funds to switch to a retirement extension? It is not clear in the OP.

If the latter, I feel a bit sorry for the guy. Having settled here for a long time and, through no fault of his own, being unable to remain legally.

I think there is a case for a "grandfathering" style arrangement which would allow the widower to continue his extensions on the basis of a married man's income.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:
1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Read the link.

Not impossible 

Good luck Chikenlegs!

I read the link - impossible. Need to have history of work permits and tax returns.

It is not an impossibility for foreigners to have three years records of WPs and tax returns and are living here married to a Thai. Why do you say that it is?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I find this a rather sad story. Perhaps he relied totally on his Thai wife to do everything, including the paperwork. Doesn't say how long dead. "Good Samaritan" perhaps a family member after the house?  As another poster has said totally wrong use of the expression anyway. The number of plod totally ott.

Right who's next to be snitched on as suspicious because doesn't go out much? 

12 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:
59 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The land of smiles? If you marry one of ours and no matter how long you live here, if she dies and you don't bother to renew your visa, like the rest of us do, f* off.  That's the reality.

Did he "not bother" to renew his visa (extend his permission to remain), or did he not have the required funds to switch to a retirement extension? It is not clear in the OP.

"Did he "not bother" to renew his visa (extend his permission to remain)..."

Clearly, he didn't bother, if he had done so he wouldn't be in the position he is now!

And I do know what the official description of his visa is.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, henry2109 said:

Here we go again: they need 8 officers to check and arrest and old quiet fart, where 2 officers should be the norm and sufficient. Imagine how productive this country could be if they learn to organize themself.

I guess the IOs knew beforehand what they could be dealing with did they? If this had turned out to be something else and gone bad you would have been beatching about ' how could they only send 2 IOs". 

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

“ He was just minding his own business in his house, it all seemed very suspicious, theinformant told immigration “

He didn’t realise that as he was living in Thailand “ his “ business became Thai Immigration’s business !!

Yes. because 8 years overstay IS their business. Why do people not get it HE WAS BREAKING THE LAW and its Immigration's JOB to address this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Everybody attacking Thai Immigration for doing their job. The Japanese guy knew the rules when he entered the country....he was an illigal immigrant...the same kind that you all rail against when inside the borders of your own sovereign nations....get him out...if you don't have the decency or the smarts to obey local laws as a guest in a foreign country....then you deserve arrest and deportation.

You sound like a laugh a minute.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Is that how it works in Thailand, you just get to own a property by reporting

someone to the police and getting them deported?

Actually if the "Samaritan" was a relative of the deceased wife yes

That aside do you think the Japanese man is going to get a chance to sell the house?

Do you think the house will be sold & the proceeds mailed to him later?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What were his options ?

I don't know for sure . Anybody with money for food can afford a one way air ticket out of the country.

He also could have purchased the Elite Card.  Between that there are about three other ways to be legal I can think of this of lets not speculate on the details.  Why not pop down to IDC and have a chat with him?

If you are ambulatory there is no excuse for overstay. Even then medical extensions are available.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

I agree what you say .....  I'm more p_issed about the nosy a*se neighbour who snitched on him. Probably a relative of the wife or someone who stands to gain a property from it.

Thais have no discretion when it comes to talking about foreigners.

You cannot say or do anything without them telling each other.

13 hours ago, emptypockets said:

True to form posters jump in boots and all making so many ' maybe' and 'probably' speculative posts.

The reality is we know nothing apart from what the guy allegedly said.

We have no idea when or even if his wife died. She may have done a runner.

Why does everyone assume it was a Thai who put in him? I'd be more worried about a member of the fellowship of the farang than a Thai person.

We also have no idea of what the gentleman had been doing all this time. Kept very quiet apparently. Many people with Ill intentions do the same so as to not draw attention to themselves.

Still it was worth 11 pages of pure speculation and conjecture.

No photo of the smart car though.

I wonder if the thread would have taken the same path if it was an overstaying digital nomad whose wife was no longer around?

Folk are chatting here on the information given in the OP.....:cowboy:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

How do you know what he gave up? Those details are not available. He could be rich and have family.

He is an illegal alien on overstay in Thailand and his actions reflect badly on all foreigners who live here legally.

I have sympathy for him but he had options.

How does it reflect badly on others living here.......?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, ravip said:

So... the bottom line is immigration officers should NOT arrest overstayers and illegal immigrants? Is this 'law' ONLY for Thailand?

Can any foreigner 'mind his/her own business in his own house in FArangland? No visas required?

REALLY, what attitudes? WHAT mentalities? 

The south has many businesses run by farangs, operated by farangs that are left alone, why is that.....?

Soft targets and photos are the order of the day.............????

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I don't know for sure . Anybody with money for food can afford a one way air ticket out of the country.

He also could have purchased the Elite Card.  Between that there are about three other ways to be legal I can think of this of lets not speculate on the details.  Why not pop down to IDC and have a chat with him?

If you are ambulatory there is no excuse for overstay. Even then medical extensions are available.

Are you for real............????

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 8:23 AM, tonray said:

Everybody attacking Thai Immigration for doing their job. The Japanese guy knew the rules when he entered the country....he was an illigal immigrant...the same kind that you all rail against when inside the borders of your own sovereign nations....get him out...if you don't have the decency or the smarts to obey local laws as a guest in a foreign country....then you deserve arrest and deportation.

And like to add if the ones that complain and talk <deleted> about how it is here then go back to your own country and complain about how it is there the same as you do here. TV is nothing more than a bash fest on the Thai people or government mind you some have wives and children here at the same time. 

Edited by InsertNameHere
Spelling wrong
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it was eight years after she died and eight years after he decided not to bother renew his visa for that time.

I know that. In most countries, living legally there for a long time will generally earn you the right to stay there forever. Being married is usually a fast track to citizenship. But not in Thailand.

My wife could get citizenship in my country really easily and pretty much for free. Can I get Thai citizenship? Probably not and even if I'm lucky and qualify it will take years and cost me a lot of money. That said it seems to be the only way to not get kicked out if I were to become a widower so I will definitely take a closer look, tired of having no rights at all.

• Confused 1

To make things even, could I, as a Farang, call 1178 and report a Thai who has falsely registered a farang as living in his house for ..2000thb, yes ! and a condo that has not registered same farang as guest, as a hotel would ? 

Will the infamous gestapo car show up, surround the area and arrest the Thai ? 

2 hours ago, InsertNameHere said:

And like to add if the ones that complain and talk <deleted> about how it is here then go back to your own country and complain about how it is there the same as you do here. TV is nothing more than a bash fest on the Thai people or government mind you some have wives and children here at the same time. 

Good morning, and how are you today........?  :cowboy:........:wai:...:wai:...:wai:

• Sad 1