Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

On 3/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, aussienam said:

Yes, if there was ever a run on the banks similar to what has occurred in other developing nations and the government blocked withdrawals then we would all be screwed.  And complain you'll be deported LOL.

If the banking system in Thailand is based on Western banks and I am fairly certain that it is, when you deposit money in a checking or savings account you are essentially making a loan to the bank. You then become an unsecured creditor that the bank promises to pay back.  However, in the event of a banking crisis "your" money can be used to try and save the bank (bail-in) and stock of dubious value issued to you as compensation.  Each country is a bit different but the process is basically the same and it all started with Cyprus a few years ago.  Also the amount insured by the Thai version of deposit insurance will drop to 1 million baht this June or July and has been steadily dropping for years.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yhiKtN4dRw

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, griffon2011 said:

If the banking system in Thailand is based on Western banks and I am fairly certain that it is, when you deposit money in a checking or savings account you are essentially making a loan to the bank. You then become an unsecured creditor that the bank promises to pay back.  However, in the event of a banking crisis "your" money can be used to try and save the bank (bail-in) and stock of dubious value issued to you as compensation.  Each country is a bit different but the process is basically the same and it all started with Cyprus a few years ago.  Also the amount insured by the Thai version of deposit insurance will drop to 1 million baht this June or July and has been steadily dropping for years.  

I've heard there is an exchange control system operated by the central bank -unlike any other, that creates or controls an artificial exchange rate, but then my neighbour for a couple of years was a senior official there and of such limited mental capacity I wonder.

Nepotism in Thailand has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, griffon2011 said:

Meanwhile in india, one of the biggest banks just collapsed. people can't withdraw their money. 

It can happen easily, everywhere, here too.

The poor old critters won't need money soon.

Coronavirus - Age Data Risk of dying by age group if infected.

80+ years old - 14.8%

70-79 years old - 8.0%

60-69 years old - 3.6%

50-59 years old - 1.3%

40-49 years old - 0.4%

30-39 years old - 0.2%

20-29 years old - 0.2% 1

0-19 years old - 0.2%

0-9 years old - no fatalities

On 3/5/2020 at 3:49 PM, webfact said:

Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

There is nothing much anchoring foreign retirees here unlike those of us married to Thai wives when the Thai wife wishes to live in Thailand and does not want to expatriate herself and the family.
Personally, if I wasn't married I would have packed up a left long ago.  There are better places in this world where expat retirees are welcomed.  Thailand is not one of those places.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Presumably that good life has not included any need for medical treatment there.

There's a BNH hospital in Phnom Penh now, state of the art, foreign doctors etc. and matches anything Thailand has. 

But the well off in both Thailand and Cambo mostly go to Singapore for their health treatments. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, simtemple said:

The poor old critters won't need money soon.

Coronavirus - Age Data Risk of dying by age group if infected.

80+ years old - 14.8%

70-79 years old - 8.0%

60-69 years old - 3.6%

50-59 years old - 1.3%

40-49 years old - 0.4%

30-39 years old - 0.2%

20-29 years old - 0.2% 1

0-19 years old - 0.2%

0-9 years old - no fatalities

I would have thought those death percentages apply to ANY normal year even without Corona. Most of the old people who are dying would probably die anyway. 1% of the UK population die every year and i guess that is very low for the young and 5-10% for the elderly.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Presumably that good life has not included any need for medical treatment there.

Yes it did, especially so in my case being a Type 2 diabetic. I did my homework and here in Siem Reap there are many pharmacies that sell all the medication I require, including insulin, officially "over the counter". In Thailand I had to wait from 2 to 3 hours sat in a queue to see the doctor for a signature to obtain insulin from the hospital pharmacy. Here I get all my medication within 5 minutes! Should the need arise, there is a good choice of private hospitals/clinics in Siem Reap. Of course I would have to pay, just the same in Thailand. I have accident insurance but not general medical insurance being an insulin dependent diabetic. I pay - just as I did in Thailand.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AlienHermit66 said:

His post makes it clear that he is talking about a polluted north; down south you die of other causes... Like you can't r...?

WTH are you blabbering about? You're the one that is lacking reading skills.

Here is what he wrote:

"Unless you live in the far south you'll be dead sooner anyway due to the horrendous air pollution"

In fact he doesn't even mention the 'north'....   duhhhhhhhh

On 3/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Who writes this stuff? Do they do no research at all?

It been the same for amount for nearly 20 years. No changes. The reason the money has to stay longer in your account is thanks to the cheats who used others to put up the money and inflated thier incomes. 

On 3/5/2020 at 5:15 PM, simon43 said:

I'm happy that I moved to Laos.  I get 4% more Lao kip for my USD income than last year - sits nicely with my 6% pa interest savings account... ????

Where do they give 6%? Chinese bank maybe?

9 hours ago, jayboy said:

A short post but contains two major errors.

1.The best facilities in Phnom Penh do not match the best Thailand has to offer

2.The well off in Thailand overwhelmingly remain in Thailand for medical treatment.

Apart from that it's bang on

4 hours ago, Youlike said:

Where do they give 6%? Chinese bank maybe?

Cyprus banks were paying 4% in Euros in 2011 versus less than 1% in the Eurozone.  They then closed their doors and wiped everyones balance over 100k Euros - 100k being covered by EU guarantees.  I wonder what guarantees exist in Cambodge and other countries offering way over the odds interest rates.

Ever wondered why they offer such good rates?  One word, liquidity - they ain't got enough dosh to lend out at even higher rates so they have to pay over the odds to attract the greater fools that are everywhere - liquidity is provided to people that want to withdraw their cash by new investors pouring in until there aren't any.  

Now think of a word that rhymes with Fonzy!  Good luck.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 6:12 PM, BRUFC said:

Yep, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. I use the 65000 baht per month and that which I don't spend I send back to UK and use it the next month within the 65000. So, when the ordure hits the fan ( may or may not, I'm not an expert) I'm down 65000 at the most....others potentially much more. With different anti West signals coming from different Gov. depts it makes sense to me.

That sounds tedious and expensive. You must be on a shoestring. Potentially one if those posters whinging about the timing of bank deposits and failure to procure visa. Two wire transfers a month and you complain the government is doing you? 555

45 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Today that same bargirl is more motivated by ripping off the farang to be able to buy the latest smartphone and name brand bag!

For these women the game has changed so they have. Men are much more saavy about marrying prostitutes and especially bringing them to home countries. This lot coupled with a group of sexoats and regular visitors know their game and tricks well from first hand experience and internet information. The internet has been good to them too. Multiple bf sending money, camwhoring.

Better to get a job in a beer bar or pub, gogo. Hang out and fish for punters on your phone.

The girls don't go near the local expats in the pub. They're all over the dumb tourists with their drinks be and try to get barfined asap for as much as possible.

They also know in long run, they're better off here near kids. No one interested in their ragged asses anymore.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, RocketDog said:
On 3/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, ozz1 said:

Us Aussies  on the pension have seen our income loose 30 percent on exchange rates but I've been here for long enough to realize you can get by just I don't go out as much as I'm married to a thai and she works she doesn't get much but we are happy and get by try living back in Australia on the pension then you will see how good you have it here with all it's faults it's still a great place to live that's my opinion anyway

Don't hesitate to use some periods if you wish They are free and come with every keyboard They look like this:  ........... 

Maybe ozz1 is learning Thai to have a better retirement life (to appear to be slightly on-topic) and is unconsciously reverting his written English to scriptio continua.

Nexthe'llbejammingwordstogethertosavespacelikelanguageswerebeforethefalloftheromanempirethegoodnewsishemanagedtocapitalizethefirstwordinthefirstsentenceCommasofcouseareoutofthequestion :stoner:

Note: Scriptio continua does not to work well with modern, word-oriented text editors and word-oriented text stream processing. Yet another reason why I simply love the Thai language (similarly to how I love the Thai exchange rate these days).

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 4:22 AM, AverageBloke said:

Why do you feel the need to say things that you probably wouldn't dare say in person? It doesn't make you sound worldly or wise, if anything it does the opposite. 

I would have absolutely no problem saying it in person. What makes you assume that I wouldn't.