Mobile Phone Numbers

rak sa_ngop

I recently had a scare when my Samsung handphone soaked up some water from a condensation puddle on the table and stopped working. I dried the LCD screens out over an 60 watt lamp all day and luckily it now works OK.

Anyway after that I copied down all my phone numbers by hand because losing all those would have been a major inconvenience. Most of my numbers are saved to the phone not the SIM card.

With Songkran looming up, losing the phone or getting it soaked is a strong possibility, so are there any better ways of storing your numbers without having to laboriously copy them all out by hand.

I recently had a scare when my Samsung handphone soaked up some water from a condensation puddle on the table and stopped working. I dried the LCD screens out over an 60 watt lamp all day and luckily it now works OK.

Anyway after that I copied down all my phone numbers by hand because losing all those would have been a major inconvenience. Most of my numbers are saved to the phone not the SIM card.

With Songkran looming up, losing the phone or getting it soaked is a strong possibility, so are there any better ways of storing your numbers without having to laboriously copy them all out by hand.

Assuming your phone doesn't have computer connectivity, you can buy small USB plug-in SIM reader/writer which will allow you to 'back up' your data. At one stage DTAC, I think, was offering a SIM back-up service but I don't think it lasted long.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Assuming your phone doesn't have computer connectivity, you can buy small USB plug-in SIM reader/writer which will allow you to 'back up' your data. At one stage DTAC, I think, was offering a SIM back-up service but I don't think it lasted long.

Regards

/edit typo //

Thanks for your advice. I assume the SIM reader will only back up the limited data on the SIM card and not all the numbers stored on the phone.

As I no longer have an instruction booklet for this 2 year-old model, maybe I should take it down to MBK or Panthip and get some smart kid to explain the options. (maybe it's also time to get a new phone).

Nearly all phones allow you to copy contacts/numbers between the phone's memory and the SIM. Both/either can have limited capacity. So you could purchase a new, second SIM, expressly for use as a back-up.Copy all contacts from phone to SIM, and SIM to phone. Install the second SIM, copy all contacts from the phone to the SIM. Store is a safe place. I've seen SIM's available for as little as 59 baht recently. (You may need to keep this SIM "activeP" so that it can register with the network and be accessible by the phone. There are some special promotions that offer 365 day validity for a single 50 baht top-up. Additionally, many phones allow for connectivity to a PC visa a USB cable, IrDA, Bluetooth and come with basic back-up aplicaiotn software allowing you to back-up, and restore, the data on your phone to a PC

Nearly all phones allow you to copy contacts/numbers between the phone's memory and the SIM. Both/either can have limited capacity. So you could purchase a new, second SIM, expressly for use as a back-up.Copy all contacts from phone to SIM, and SIM to phone. Install the second SIM, copy all contacts from the phone to the SIM. Store is a safe place. I've seen SIM's available for as little as 59 baht recently. (You may need to keep this SIM "activeP" so that it can register with the network and be accessible by the phone. There are some special promotions that offer 365 day validity for a single 50 baht top-up. Additionally, many phones allow for connectivity to a PC visa a USB cable, IrDA, Bluetooth and come with basic back-up aplicaiotn software allowing you to back-up, and restore, the data on your phone to a PC

Thanks for your ideas. I realised I have a UK SIM card which is still active so I copied all my numbers to that. Also tried a 2 year old Vietnamese SIM card but it is no longer active so could not get the card to work.

I suppose this means it is best to keep the SIM cards used for copies always active otherwise you may be unable to retrieve data at a later date.

• 3 weeks later...

You dont mention what Samsung model it is, but many Samsung have a "problem" in regards of tranfering files from and to the phone. Most Samsung models are build to receive files OTA = Over the air = via SMS or WAP. Even if you use a USB solution your mobile phone may not accept incoming files (Again depends on the model) If you cant use the USB solution or find that you often cant find your second small Simcar try this one: https://zyb.com/