Expat retirement support group

tiresias

Have suggested an International Support Expat-Club focusing on legal/visa matters on several occasions here. Connected to lawyers that are "linked" to the governement/immigration.
Such an organisation (preferrably consisting of all Frarangs, living in Thailand) could make a big difference when it comes to challenge certain visa-legislations that must come accross as absurd and discrimanatory.

- Not much hope that a truly international Expat-Club with some political clout (strictly focusing on legal/visa matters), affecting their life in Thailand will ever come into existance.

Of course not. The 27 Nations of the EU can still not speak with "a single voice". Why should the retirees of those 27 countries (plus Americans, Canadians etc) be able to speak with "a single voice" while living in Thailand, to forcefully protect their interest? No hope.

The Farang residents will always be a minority in Thailand. So are the Chinese! Has any Thai-Governement ever done anything that could displease the Chinese Minority in Thailand?
A united minority can form a protective environement for themselves in any foreighn country!

Cheers my fellow Farangs, just some food for thaught over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Have suggested an International Support Expat-Club focusing on legal/visa matters on several occasions here. Connected to lawyers that are "linked" to the governement/immigration.
Such an organisation (preferrably consisting of all Frarangs, living in Thailand) could make a big difference when it comes to challenge certain visa-legislations that must come accross as absurd and discrimanatory.

- Not much hope that a truly international Expat-Club with some political clout (strictly focusing on legal/visa matters), affecting their life in Thailand will ever come into existance.

Of course not. The 27 Nations of the EU can still not speak with "a single voice". Why should the retirees of those 27 countries (plus Americans, Canadians etc) be able to speak with "a single voice" while living in Thailand, to forcefully protect their interest? No hope.

The Farang residents will always be a minority in Thailand. So are the Chinese! Has any Thai-Governement ever done anything that could displease the Chinese Minority in Thailand?
A united minority can form a protective environement for themselves in any foreighn country!

Slow day?

There’s no free lunch. “Connected to lawyers that are "linked" to the governement/immigration.” How much you gonna pay? Expats in Thailand, though Big Spenders all when it comes to other people’s money, soil their knickers at the mere thought of paying the slightest fee for anything they aren't forced to.

Your post answers itself. “. . . a truly international Expat-Club with some political clout (strictly focusing on legal/visa matters)” can’t happen because “The Farang residents will always be a minority in Thailand.” Despite the insufferable sense of self-importance for their vast wealth and hansumness, the envy of all Thais, farang residents' spending is insignificant in the larger economy.  

So are the Chinese! Has any Thai-Governement ever done anything that could displease the Chinese Minority in Thailand?

One of our most cherished myths on the forum in the cause of victimism is that Chinese aren’t subjected to the same rules as farang. In fact, they are, as you can verify by observing large numbers of them in Chang Wattana hassling around with their visas and extensions. Farang get better VOA deals than Chinese. 

Chinese regularly get arrested for this & that, but proportionately seem to commit much less crime, than say, Brits, or are just a lot smarter at covering it up. You’ll note that Chinese zero baht tours were banned a few years ago (forum myth ignores this fact) and not long ago a hotel was shutdown for still catering to such. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 7:43 AM, Pravda said:

You are not an expat, you're a tourist. 

Correct. These days I am a Tourist. But between 2011 and 2016 I was a certified Expat.
At some point, I relised that Farangs (not willing to engage and pay for a "Lobby", to defend basic rights of the Farang community/minority), can only expect worsening conditions as far as their overall legal living conditions in Thailand are concerned.

So I decided to exchange my "Expat-Status" to a "Frequent-Visitor-Status". Love it! Woulden't change a thing.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 5:13 AM, swissie said:

These days I am a Tourist. But between 2011 and 2016 I was a certified Expat.

No.  You were always a tourist.  For foreigners, you are a short term tourist, or a long term tourist.  Short term tourists and long term tourists have the same rights here, which is zero. 

Someone considering themselves as an "expat" has no more rights than a tourist flying in on a 30 day visa exemption, other than being allowed to stay more than 30 days, for which they pay dearly for, and I don't mean the 1900 baht.

The term "expat" gives a false sense of security here.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

No.  You were always a tourist.  For foreigners, you are a short term tourist, or a long term tourist.  Short term tourists and long term tourists have the same rights here, which is zero. 

Someone considering themselves as an "expat" has no more rights than a tourist flying in on a 30 day visa exemption, other than being allowed to stay more than 30 days, for which they pay dearly for, and I don't mean the 1900 baht.

The term "expat" gives a false sense of security here.

I know, I know. You are right. Worst of it all is, that some Farangs believe that by marrying a Thai National would elevate them above the "Tourist-Status".

3 hours ago, swissie said:

I know, I know. You are right. Worst of it all is, that some Farangs believe that by marrying a Thai National would elevate them above the "Tourist-Status".

They are naive.

Most Thais probably look down on them wondering why they cannot find a woman in their own country.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 12:25 AM, swissie said:

A united minority? Something similar to the TVF?

What about those foreigners that have fathered children here to a Thai National?  The new born baby has more rights than the farang father who is providing for it.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1