I am quitting with Qatar air.

Scouse123

Oman is slowly eradicating its product as well.

3 days ago effective no longer any checked bag included on the cheapest fares.

Only thing thats keeping me active is that Oman Duty free at Muscat is the cheapest of all the UAE areas and dont query how much you buy lol

They to have red carded the fast track immigration cards for Silver/Gold Sindbad holders (might still get in Biz class)

In addition all seats pre booked at the 48 hour opening of check in now are chargeable for the lower economy classes. First time ever last week I paid a fee for an aisle seat (on any airline)....even middle seats are chargeable if seat class is low.....only reverts to free at airport check in

Edited by Chivas
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Emirates is the same, to use miles to upgrade from cattle to biz DXB to BKK used to be about 45000, not it's just shy of 70000.

I do see the flight prices dropping recently as expected, 2 pax BKK to EDI return in Biz in August is approx 150K which is very reasonable.

• Like 2

Loyalty counts for nothing these days,I have held silver cards with Etihad and Qatar in the past but as I,m no longer a frequent flyer all benefits have expired....always have booked the cheapest flights with good times/short stopovers,regardless of which airline...never mind the so called perks :thumbsup:

Flown MAN/BKK and return 27 times in the past,cheapest flight with Etihad £368 and dearest with Emirates £564..........and various prices in between.

• Like 1

It  really  started to change about 7  years  ago,  I used to come 4-5  times a  year and the perks  were good, then they virtually halved everything, now I just use any airline  for  business  class. AIr  France to Uk now going May31st  just paid 61k  baht A350 planes

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The frequent flyer cards now are getting to the stage where they are so poorly rewarded, you might as well just look for the best flying deal as and when it comes with any respectable airline and ditch any loyalty.

+ 1. This is what I am doing since years. The collected miles are only worth anything for me if I can book an economy ticket and then upgrade it to business class. This is getting unbelievable difficult. Last time, it was a real hassle with Finnair, with the back flight only confirmed 2 days before the flight day.

I had many flights with Finnair to Europe and back, but this year I will be using Oman and Emirates, because they offered reasonable business class tarifs.

To be fair, you have to confess that the competion in the airline business usually is very big, and ticket prices overall pretty low.

So often when you buy a cheap economy ticket, you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Youlike said:

I'm also done with Qatar Air....small seats, old planes, the buses, bad food, silly accents from Bangladeshi staff....

Silly accents from Bangladeshi staff ???? really, one of the reasons you will refuse to fly with an airline is because of the accents of some of the flight crew??? 

All M.E. Airlines are pretty much the same, they’re not great, but they are not bad either, they’re all just a glorified bus and travelling is a PITA even in business class - it is was it is. 

I’ve only ever flown based on Price / convenience... I’ve been Gold on Etihad / Emirates and flown numerous times in business and economy on 3 of the ME airlines (Qatar / Etihad / Emirates), most recently on Emirates (at least monthly) - in business class its all a bit average, I dread to think what Thai Airways, Eva and BA are like in comparison. 

We as consumers want the best deal for the cheapest price, we can’t cry when the service diminishes because of cost savings. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Oman is slowly eradicating its product as well.

3 days ago effective no longer any checked bag included on the cheapest fares.

Only thing thats keeping me active is that Oman Duty free at Muscat is the cheapest of all the UAE areas and dont query how much you buy lol

They to have red carded the fast track immigration cards for Silver/Gold Sindbad holders (might still get in Biz class)

In addition all seats pre booked at the 48 hour opening of check in now are chargeable for the lower economy classes. First time ever last week I paid a fee for an aisle seat (on any airline)....even middle seats are chargeable if seat class is low.....only reverts to free at airport check in

Erm...you shouldn't have paid anything. They tried the same with me and their reply a month later was just idiotic. That rows 20 & 21 are chargeable with all others being free. Morons. I already explained to them that ALL seats were showing as chargeable.

But what I think occurs is that the seats are shown as chargeable online, but if you actually select them and continue, the charge comes up as zero.

I did this, even though it initially showed as chargeable. Paid nothing and my seats were already reserved on arrival.

Qatar's backroom customer service is absolute pants. For that reason they will always be a last resort.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Erm...you shouldn't have paid anything. They tried the same with me and their reply a month later was just idiotic. That rows 20 & 21 are chargeable with all others being free. Morons. I already explained to them that ALL seats were showing as chargeable.

But what I think occurs is that the seats are shown as chargeable online, but if you actually select them and continue, the charge comes up as zero.

I did this, even though it initially showed as chargeable. Paid nothing and my seats were already reserved on arrival.

Qatar's backroom customer service is absolute pants. For that reason they will always be a last resort.

Errrrr no. From January 23rd (because I rang Oman themselves in Leeds) the lower classes of economy when online check in opens at 48 hours pre wheels up are now chargeable....I will emphasise again lowest classes of economy ticket. All seats are chargeable but if you wait till airport check in opens all seats left are then free.

Now if you had a work around fine but nonetheless they're chargeable at outset and flying back Muscat London 12 days ago thank christ I paid the 335 Baht for aisle as it was jammed packed solid flight

I used to fly Oman from 2012 and the following years. First they had BC 1-2-1 seats and by far the best service I ever had. The airport was as small like a provincial train station, short ways to the gates and just one hour stopover. And the prices were reasonable.

Later the changed the seats, the service declined and from one day to the other they increased the prices by 4 or 500 Euro for return.

So I switched back to Thai with their even worse service because they're the only ones except LH offering nonstop flights to Muc plus a very comfortable departure time in BKK.

BTW: Do they use the new Muscat airport now?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Errrrr no. From January 23rd (because I rang Oman themselves in Leeds) the lower classes of economy when online check in opens at 48 hours pre wheels up are now chargeable....I will emphasise again lowest classes of economy ticket. All seats are chargeable but if you wait till airport check in opens all seats left are then free.

Now if you had a work around fine but nonetheless they're chargeable at outset and flying back Muscat London 12 days ago thank christ I paid the 335 Baht for aisle as it was jammed packed solid flight

Erm...yes. They cannot retrospectively charge on tickets purchased prior to that date.

So mine should have been and were free. The problem is that is gave the impression they were chargeable, when they were not.

It's not a work-around, you simply assumed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Some might disagree.

Have they upgraded their equipment? 

More than a few will disagree. A despicable airline company now.

I agree with the op, I ceased using Qatar years ago after enjoying free flights every now and then through loyalty but no longer.

Now it’s a case of which flight times and stopover times suit you best.

Strongly agree with the poster who uses Finair biz class. The Manchester-Bangkok leg is a treat with the latest lie flat configuration.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Can't beat BA on price or service, and if your from West London, T5 can be home in 20 minutes

I used them twice in Economy premium or as they call it World traveller plus. Seat OK, Service passable, delay London to Manchester was a pain. Given a choice in Premium Economy I would go with Cathay Pacific. Prices similar.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Saw Finnair business class 1700 quid return to Heathrow, better than the middle eastern ones? never tried it

Me too from Manchester, I am keeping an eye out for both Finnair new economy premium and business class fares.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Saw Finnair business class 1700 quid return to Heathrow, better than the middle eastern ones? never tried it

Last  year Turkish to Birmingham Uk 1460 quid business, prices  like  that appear  occasionally and not for  long

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Economy premium always seems like bad value to me, twice the cost for a bigger seat and a bit more wine!

One of the biggest benefits for me with premium economy is the normally doubled, or at least substantially increased, baggage allowance. 

Disappointed to hear about Oman as they used to also give free carriage to golf clubs even on the cheapest ticket.

12 hours ago, baansgr said:

Can't beat BA on price or service, and if your from West London, T5 can be home in 20 minutes

I flew direct Bangkok to London and back and the flight was awful. The aircraft was so old the TV screens were too small, scratched, foggy and unwatchable. Seats were old and seemed like they bought the aircraft from Air India. I still prefer Qatar Airways after 100+ trips over the past 16 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, topt said:

One of the biggest benefits for me with premium economy is the normally doubled, or at least substantially increased, baggage allowance. 

Disappointed to hear about Oman as they used to also give free carriage to golf clubs even on the cheapest ticket.

The trouble was that they realised that people like me pack all our heavy excess baggage into the golf bags. A trick I learnt from the Malaysians.

• Haha 1