I am quitting with Qatar air.

Scouse123

37 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

QATAR , and all other arab airlines, offer mlow level

of services and are dangerous to fly with,

and no low price will justify using them.

that is besides the low quality of attitude you get there.

i tried QATAR few times and understood quickly it is not for me.

most of the crew there is working on very low wages and temporary contracts, hence

they don't care much.

i got there few strange remarks, like when i once booked into a flight with them  :"are

you working for the airlines"...as if i am a spy for other airline...

other time when i asked an air steward how did she got this job, and she started answering

when a higher rank steward interfered and shouted at me: "GO BACK TO YOUR SEAT".

and even the terminal there looks like a mess...

What is makes you think that is any of your business to know how she got this job.

Arab airlines being dangerous is nonsense as 2 of them are in the top 10 of safest airlines:  https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-safest-airlines-2020-airlineratings/index.html

Edited by FritsSikkink

48 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I have up on the rewards programs years ago for the very reason of reduced benefits and now just book the cheapest ticket.

+1.

And that will be me from now on, I am going to follow the advice of another poster and use my balance of points with another One world alliance member airline this year, and then follow you and book the cheapest respectable airline with good flying times, preferably direct to Europe.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Old planes?

You must be thinking of Thai, Qatar has one of the youngest fleets of any airline in the world average age of aircraft 5 years.

Have flown with them business class many times if you fly economy with any airline the seats are small..

Wrong mate, i'm used to the A380's and they have bigger seats, better computer and look much better anyway. Also i hate those buses where you have to wait in the heat and even have no space while standing/holding while the driver is racing the thing over the road.

And i can agree with the other posters that the staff of QA is rude and don't care about the customers.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 6:59 AM, henry2109 said:

+ 1. This is what I am doing since years. The collected miles are only worth anything for me if I can book an economy ticket and then upgrade it to business class. This is getting unbelievable difficult. Last time, it was a real hassle with Finnair, with the back flight only confirmed 2 days before the flight day.

I had many flights with Finnair to Europe and back, but this year I will be using Oman and Emirates, because they offered reasonable business class tarifs.

To be fair, you have to confess that the competion in the airline business usually is very big, and ticket prices overall pretty low.

So often when you buy a cheap economy ticket, you get what you pay 

I fly Qatar frequently in business. I have noticed no changes. However, food and drink are not my priorities. I just want a comfortable flight with a short transit. Price wise QR has always been better than others.

I flew with Finnair once. Never again. Dirty plane, poor service, Helsinki airport is the pits. No fasttrack. Packed lounge with poor service.

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i got there few strange remarks, like when i once booked into a flight with them  :"are

other time when i asked an air steward how did she got this job, and she started answering

when a higher rank steward interfered and shouted at me: "GO BACK TO YOUR SEAT".

I wonder why?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CuriousKen said:

I had to sue Qatar.

I changed my flight, they send me an acknowledgement by email, and when I tried to check in - no flight!

I had to pay British airways 400 pounds for a one way ticket to the UK.

I sued them for that and another 200 pounds for additional expenses.

I have never flown on them since.

I'd go as far as stating they are scum. Bought a ticket with them at the airport, accidentally chose the date 24 hours later. I went to the Qatar desk within five minutes of booking. Qatar customer service wanted me to pay a change fee, even though the flight prices were exactly the same...and they weren't cheap in the first place.

In a second case, they absolutely refuse to pay EU 261/2004 compensation for getting me in seven hours late. So I had to put a law firm on that case.

They are rubbish, all flash and no substance.

• Like 1

My eldest son flew from UK to China with Qatar, after the meal they turned down the lights then suddenly both engines failed and plummeted hundreds of feet, he said everyone was screaming with terror until the engines re-started, a slight technical problem the captain announced.

My son has never flown since.

Maybe they have also cut their maintenance schedules back a little too..

Edited by twizzian
  • Like 1

Flown them several times this year both economy, and business. Have not noticed a change. I usually go to my trips and and choose the aisle before check-in at no charge. As a US licensed Aircraft mechanic, I find their aircraft in very good shape, have no problems flying them. 

1 hour ago, Billpro785 said:

Flown them several times this year both economy, and business. Have not noticed a change. I usually go to my trips and and choose the aisle before check-in at no charge. As a US licensed Aircraft mechanic, I find their aircraft in very good shape, have no problems flying them. 

The charges have just been introduced for seats with legroom in economy.

• Like 1

I did quit qatar already 2 years ago when it was on the news that they sponsor extreme islamist and possibly terrorists

No.  That's Saudi Arabia you're thinking of.  Most of the 9/11 terrorists were from The Kingdom.

Qatar hosts a US Military base with thousands of soldiers, not Saudi Arabia, mate.

S.A. is currently being run by a dude who murders anyone who criticizes him with bonesaws. 

Nice guy. ????

Flew Birmingham (afternoon flight) to Bangkok with Qatar last year (Business Class).  Was the best flight I'd ever had.  Amazing, personalised service and the most amazing food.  Other legs weren't quite as good, but hey.

The Q-Suite between Qatar and Bangkok (Only got it the one way) was amazing.  With a tall, sliding door, I could hide away from everyone in my spacious pod.

Just my one-time experience.

Never bothered with any loyalty cards though, I tend to go on price.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:15 PM, Youlike said:

I'm also done with Qatar Air....small seats, old planes, the buses, bad food, silly accents from Bangladeshi staff....

And the new trick for the flights from Birmingham (BHX - DOH -BKK) is to send you by train to London Euston, underground tube to Victoria train station, Gatwick Express for the flight from Gatwick Airport.

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2020 at 5:28 AM, Scouse123 said:

The frequent flyer cards now are getting to the stage where they are so poorly rewarded, you might as well just look for the best flying deal as and when it comes with any respectable airline and ditch any loyalty.

I've been doing this for a number of years. Emirates recently gave me 4000 miles to try and attract me back but 4000 won't even buy you a free coffee so waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silver status on any airline is one step above rugby scrum Coach so all those complaining about it seriously need to get over any sense of entitlement that their brand loyalty bought them. Thanks for playing.

The Gold and Platinum levels are only sustainable by frequent, corporate travel. Business Class is for businessmen (and those with a high net worth) again.

Welcome to the friendly skies of [insert name of the airline that broke your precious heart here]

Why would anyone choose to fly via the Middle East to get to Europe when you can fly direct? I haven't visited the Middle East since I was a toddler, and the only reason we even went through there (Dubai) was to transit to Africa.

11 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Why would anyone choose to fly via the Middle East to get to Europe when you can fly direct? I haven't visited the Middle East since I was a toddler, and the only reason we even went through there (Dubai) was to transit to Africa.

From my point of view I could usually work it so I had 1.5-2.0 hours in the Middle East and on to Manchester. Usually direct flights from the UK are all from London.

When I have flown BA to London and then on to Manchester it has been a four hour wait in London plus the real pain of changing terminals. I will start looking towards Finnair and KLM.

OK they stop at their based country first and then on to Manchester, but their airports have got to be better user friendly and connection times than Heathrow.

Edited by Scouse123

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

From my point of view I could usually work it so I had 1.5-2.0 hours in the Middle East and on to Manchester. Usually direct flights from the UK are all from London.

When I have flown BA to London and then on to Manchester it has been a four hour wait in London plus the real pain of changing terminals. I will start looking towards Finnair and KLM.

OK they stop at their based country first and then on to Manchester, but their airports have got to be better user friendly and connection times than Heathrow.

Although I prefer the longer flight to AMS, CPH, FRA or HEL and then the shorter hop to UK destinations other than London, I have found that the Coach service both pre-flight and onboard can be quite dire for the 9 - 11 hours that these long-haul sectors entail. Therefore the mid-east stopover with the agreeable shortish layovers would handily break up what would be a tiresome journey. After two transit layovers in LHR enroute to MAN, I opted to just rent a car at LHR, be on my way and arrive at my eventual destination north of Lancaster faster than any airport transit and onward flight would allow.

I have managed to avoid the mid-east based carriers although Qatar is my friends airline of choice on his bi-annual trips to London and he agrees that the old airport at Doha was just bearable. I found Schiphol is constantly reinventing itself so much so that I try and get a long layover there either inbound or outbound, do some shopping or even slip into town. Unfortunately, KLM Business and Coach are now on par with Air France; nothing special and those Premium Economy zones on the KLM's 777's are way over priced IMHO. I avoid CDG like the plague.

Others have mentioned EVA as being a good alternative if happier with the long flights. I haven't used SAS for quite a while but found very little to do at CPH on a layover. My most recent transfer was on Finnair via HEL and because it was a late transit, the attractions looked thin on the ground but it did look spacious and clean. I was Business Class and their lounge has to be one of the best I have experienced lately with freshly prepared hot food and fresh salads still being prepared at 10 PM although the lounge was closing at midnight.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 3:00 PM, Youlike said:

Wrong mate, i'm used to the A380's and they have bigger seats, better computer and look much better anyway. Also i hate those buses where you have to wait in the heat and even have no space while standing/holding while the driver is racing the thing over the road.

And i can agree with the other posters that the staff of QA is rude and don't care about the customers.

The point I was making is that seats in economy are smaller than in business whatever airline you fly.

Fortunately I don’t have to fly economy and regarding the Qatar staff have always found them excellent maybe it’s different at the front try it one day,

On 3/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, drbeach said:

You can only fly direct to a few places which rules it out for most people.  The ME airlines serve provincial airports as well as capital cities and split the journey more evenly.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 10:43 PM, Chazar said:

Last  year Turkish to Birmingham Uk 1460 quid business, prices  like  that appear  occasionally and not for  long

But isn't the flight from Istanbul to Bangkok in old fashioned recliners ?

I know we're all complaining about airlines but in real terms and adjusting for inflation airtravel has never been cheaper.

As an example, a flight from Boston to LA in 1942 was worth $4539 per person and took 15 hours with 12 stops on the way. By comparison, a nonstop flight in 2015 would cost £481 and take 6 hours.

Airlines are on the whole working on razor thin margins so they are going to cut costs where they can, yes this may <deleted> people off but ultimately the aim is to get from A to B in the shortest time. Comfort comes at a premium

We've never had it so good but with cheap airfares comes a cost. If we want service then we have to pay for it so stop whinging or I'll put Greta on to you...

On 3/9/2020 at 6:32 AM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

QATAR , and all other arab airlines, offer mlow level

of services and are dangerous to fly with,

and no low price will justify using them.

that is besides the low quality of attitude you get there.

i tried QATAR few times and understood quickly it is not for me.

most of the crew there is working on very low wages and temporary contracts, hence

they don't care much.

Why do you say they are dangerous to fly with ? They're hardly going to blow up their own planes!

On 3/9/2020 at 6:40 AM, Chivas said:

I did over 50 returns on BA as brother of staff on ID90 tickets and can say they're absolutely fine and always have been. I dont get on a flight to see delightful flight attendants I get on a motor to get safely from A to B

If you were on a motor that went tech at 35,000 feet which airline would you want to be on to get you on the ground safely.....simply British Airways not Thai International with Somchai and his bike spanners and flight deck attitude of Mai Pen Rai when three of the four engines cut out

Now pay full fare and say that.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, drbeach said:

Most of the times because of price!

2 hours ago, treetops said:
On 3/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, drbeach said:

You can only fly direct to a few places which rules it out for most people.  The ME airlines serve provincial airports as well as capital cities and split the journey more evenly.

Flying via the ME also works out well when travelling with children.

The ME stop over is perfect, especially with a 10-12hr layover and staying over night in the Airport Hotel (air-side), it breaks the trip up so neither parent or child(ren) get tired or grouchy... IMO, flying 6-7 hrs, having an overnight break then flying again (without having to go through all the security etc) is an ideal way to travel. It works well if you have plenty of time and are in no rush. 

I haven’t taken a long haul flight (for more than 7 hrs in years), I used fly business class, have a few wines, take a xanax and drift off to sleep for 8 hours or so, but that is no longer *possible when flying with a child. (*its still possible, but I wouldn’t do it).