300-400 suspected new coronavirus infections investigated in Thailand every day

rooster59

2 hours ago, MikeyScars said:

Investigated means what?

Checked temperature?

My local Makro is checking everyone’s temperature trouble is it doesn’t tell you if you have the virus so it’s a wee bit useless to say the least . Has Thailand got testing kits yet ? I doubt it.  ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah yes... the moobahn gulag bodybag theory. I threw that one out for general consumption on another, similarly over-infatuated forum just a few hours ago so it's nice to see that someone pick it up and run with it already.

Truly it doesn't matter if this or any government has been somewhat remiss with facts and a bit cavalier with the details. The fact is Covid-19 is here in Thailand already so instead of rinsing and gargling on internet forums, we should just concentrate on washing our hands.

Even at the immigration there is no hand gel and half of the applicants doesn/t wear a mouthmask inside...

A vivid demonstration of how not to wear a protective mask by the Muslim girl in the photo. She'd probably be as safe if she swapped her hijab for a burka - and not just from viruses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thais who met the criteria get tested for free.

Levels of viral pneumonia are never 0, there are always cases even prior to COVID-19  and most viral pneumonais will mot be COVID.

I don't know what this "0 to 3000" numbet  you refer to is, but it is not nationwide cases of viral pneumonia.

Thais being tested free was introduced this week when it was added to the free healthcare plan and to qualify you must be in your home province

OK not 0 but very low 

There was a graph posted on TVF about 10 days ago showing VP cases over the last 8 weeks - it went from being very low to a sudden exponential rise in numbers to over 3000 over about 3 weeks time period

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

So we have a guy returned to Australia from Thailand a few days ago and has tested positive on his return to the Corona virus. He must have been super unlucky to come in contact with one of the very very few virus carriers in Thailand right?

Or is possible that its widespread and they are simply not reporting it? Couldn’t be that right ???? 

Well who knows what the Oz guy was doing in Thailand? Seems to me there are 2 overall possibilities:

1. He was engaged in activities where there is a lot of contact with others and perhaps some / all of those 'others' have a lot of contact with other people and there is little attention to the virus possibilities or cleanliness? I'm absolutely not suggesting this is the scenario, just a hypothesis.

2. He was deliberately avoiding contact with others, being careful what he touched etc., and was washing his hands carefully and regularly. If this is the case then perhaps it suggests there are, at the moment, contact possibilities that so far haven't been realized. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

To ensure strict compliance, he made clear that the returnees from South Korea will not be allowed to confine themselves at home, but at locations in the vicinity of their homes and under the supervision of health volunteers and local officials.

Covid-19 is declared very dangerous, why you do not organize a real quarantine, you cannot play with the health of so many innocents!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

Thailand's official numbers are probably fake. Maybe it is a matter of "face" - and we know how thais love face - they are afraid to end up in all the media in the world, so they hide the real data, or they do not test the cases. 

How much does a hospital test cost, for example? (in a mainly privatized health care system, everyone has access to health services?)

I remember that when China officially announced the virus in January, at that time 13.000 Wuhan citizens were in Thailand, and in the following weeks hundreds of Chinese citizens arrived every day. 

How is it possible to have "only" 48 infected?

In addition, the behaviour of the Minister of Health is borderline shameful, as it deresponsibilizes the Thai institutions and people, accusing foreigners of infecting the Thai people. 

i think you mean exonerates

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

My local Makro is checking everyone’s temperature trouble is it doesn’t tell you if you have the virus so it’s a wee bit useless to say the least . Has Thailand got testing kits yet ? I doubt it.  ????

It's a shame that nobody at ministerial level (particularly Anutin) has the intelligence to understand what the WHO has been saying - QUOTE:
""Unlike SARS, its viral cousin, the Covid-19 virus replicates at high concentrations in the nose and throat akin to the common cold, and appears capable of spreading from THOSE WHO SHOW NO (or mild) SYMPTOMS. That makes it impossible to control using the fever-checking measures that helped stop SARS, 17 years ago. COVID-19 CAN'T BE DETECTED BY TEMPERATURE SCANNERS . ."

I reckon the gov is in a state of total panic - the usual give-away is that different ministers say contradicting things at the same time or (and) that one of them makes a statement that is overturned the next day by someone else. Right now this seems to be happening every day, instead of the usual once or twice a week.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sahibji said:

eerie that there is no mention of those arriving from china - would they be isolated or not?

Nope, they're close family, no need - all's well. 

• Haha 1

Every second I think I have a DIFFERENT suspected infection that I must test for.....so technically 86,400 different tests are happening every day just for me.

fortunately i live in a bubble that is hermetically sealed.  

the title doesn't say 3 to 400 people... lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

as for Thais infecting Thais ..……...nope not one, they all have Viral Pneumonia - all 3000 

I think this is what they mean by it's all under control.

Label it as viral pneumonia and blame it on lack of testing resources later.

Coronavirus COVID19 manifests in some as yet unknown percentage of people as Viral Pneumonia

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

I wonder how many have been tested in Thailand in total. UK has reported that currently it has tested around 20,000 people.

Figures about testing need to be taken with a grain of salt. Some are real RT-PCR tests, which themselves aren't very reliable (I've seen 50% estimates for false negatives), some CT scans of lungs (any pneumonia will do) and some by clinical means (looks like you might have it, basically).

There are no good quick tests available at the moment: https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/how-sars-cov-2-tests-work-and-whats-next-in-covid-19-diagnostics-67210

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

The statistical travel route data demonstrated that Thailand was most at risk than any other country. 
the facts don’t lie. 

And in 1..2.. "but it's hot in Thailand". And then comes Malaysia. 

• Like 1