Surgical carpentry.

up2you2

I have a rotten window frame on a folding concertina  French door.

Obviously the most logical way of repairing such a frame, is to to take the whole door frame out, and repair it on or off site.
This cannot not be done for a variety of reasons.
So now I wish to look at the possibility if an actual repair can be carried out in situ, without removing the frame.
I attach photographs taken from the inside and outside.

The hard part I think is trying to slide the new bottom frame underneath the glass.
Now as the old saying goes, where there is a will there's a way.
I think the beading goes on afterwards, so if that is the case, then in theory there should be no problem with the glass? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

024.jpg

3 hours ago, up2you2 said:

So now I wish to look at the possibility if an actual repair can be carried out in situ, without removing the frame.

It is impossible to repair without taking the window out, since the rails are mortised into the stiles and the bottom rail is rotten, or eaten by bugs, as is the bottom of the right hand stile

The glass is held in by the half round moulding and paint so you can take that out just by levering those out, they should be nailed in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

Frame is shot as others have said. You appear to have a termite infestation. 

It’s impossible to tell without prodding the wood but it’s less likely to be termites than fungal rot, as with termites the paint layer will often hold the original shape whereas with rot it will deform the surface.