Recalcitrant workers ignore quarantine and create panic

rooster59

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

"Unclean! Unclean!" Why not just make them all wear bells around their neck and have done with it?

Jeez.

God idea. Only way to get Thais to do anything is to publically shame them. A bell with an exploding collar that deactivates in 14 days should get them to stay in the quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those "little ingrates ghosts" had no qualms breaking the law in Korea, so why would the Thai authorities expect them to behave like law-abiding model citizens now they're back? Just because they're Thai and, therefore, surely must love their nation from the bottom of their heart? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Maybe some  farangs will finally get it. Many of these returnees are entertainment trade workers. Their attitude is  an illustration of why HIV continues in Thailand. There is an attitude of me, myself and I. I hope those who are intimate with entertainment industry workers  learn something from this.

In the meanwhile, the BMW crew needs to bust more evil "bad" foreign overstays (not to be confused with the 150,000 "good" Thai overstays in South Korea) in order to shift the focus off of Thai "recalcitrant workers" and back to foreigners in general.  All foreigners in Thailand are a national security risk simply by the virtue of breathing Thai air; recalcitrant Thai workers are only a national security risk once they have contracted Covid-19 and have decided to tour Thailand whist shopping until they are dropping (and infecting countless other - but blame that on the Chinese - Thais are a faultless people). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

I  think the  only  labour she could  do would be in the maternity ward

look at her with your puffer jacket on, she thinks she's still in Seoul. I bet she views herself as being better than her fellow Thais because she's travelled, hence the need to sport a puffer jacket in the hot season 

• Like 2

It's funny how the netizens and the Thai media are focusing on the whores coming back from Korea rather than asking the government for the real numbers of contagions within the country, which is certainly not 50. 

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Those "little ingrates ghosts" had no qualms breaking the law in Korea, so why would the Thai authorities expect them to behave like law-abiding model citizens now they're back? Just because they're Thai and, therefore, surely must love their nation from the bottom of their heart? 

Exactly, Thais are the most perfect persons in the world, don't you know?

Anyway, it doesn't matter, just wait "journalists" speak about some ugly and bad Italian and the wrath of the masses will be unleashed against the criminal Italians

Edited by zhounan

On 3/8/2020 at 6:02 AM, Chazar said:

Land  of  no  responsibility or "why  should  i  give   <deleted>"

Land of oblivious to what's going on outside of my Thai bubble. 

Most Thais are only concerned about themselves and attempting to stay in one place for 14 days is a step to far.

• Like 1

I'm only a "Newbie", but frankly this thread should get pinned, just to remind us that nothing has changed since the middle ages, when they were burning witches and unbelievers to stop the plague. Maybe I should join the younger crowds on "R@**it".

There is no need to panic!!!There is no need to screen people coming into

Thailand or any other country.

We are past that stage,just look at all the countries who already have it and how fast it is spreading.

We (yes all of us)will have to deal with what ever comes next.

Do you really think cramming people on an airplane and sending them

across the globe would not allow the virus to travel along?

What about people who travel by land and enter illegally?

It is like putting air into a flat tire it will only work for awhile,you need to fix it.

How?I wish i knew.

• Like 1

I see the Thai MoPH provided an EN news release update re the returning workers from Korea dated yesterday:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/news/news_no44_080363.pdf

For the case of Thai workers returning from South Korea on 7 March 2020 and 8 March 2020 (until 02.45 am), four flights with a total of 537 travelers (including 133 Thai workers from South Korea) underwent the screening procedures. Among those Thai workers, six people met the criteria of patients under investigation and have already been sent to the designated public hospital. Sixty Thai workers, 27 men and 33 women, from Daegu and North Gyeongsang were sent for their symptoms to be observed at Sattahip Naval Base for 14 days. The remaining 67 Thai workers have been sent to the designated areas in their hometowns for observation of symptoms under the supervision of the Provincial Governors for 14 days.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:17 AM, meechai said:

In many ways it it a stupid policy anyway

One the one hand these workers have passed thru arrival immigration so had the same checks

that thousands of tourists arriving from the same & other high risk countries.

The workers are told to self quarantine the tourists are told sawasdee krup

Come now.....A little consistency would show the authorities have at least half a brain &

don't have one rule for income producing tourists & another for locals returning home

Completely disagree. Laborers have spent years in Korea (thus making them more likely to pick up a bug locally plus many of them come from one of the worst hit areas), they are also poorer and likely live less sanitary lives (look at the shacks laborers live in, in Thailand - I wouldn't last a minute in those things). If tourists are required to quarantine themselves, they'll stop coming, airlines will suspend all their flights and Thailand's tourism dependent economy will collapse.

Edited by drbeach

On 3/8/2020 at 3:45 PM, DrTuner said:

God idea. Only way to get Thais to do anything is to publically shame them. A bell with an exploding collar that deactivates in 14 days should get them to stay in the quarantine.

The 2015 pandemic law allows officials to detain, quarantine, forcibly vaccinate and medicate anyone who they deem to be 'suspected' of carrying a contagious disease. Covid-19 has been added to this list and the government has warned that steep fines and/or imprisonment await these 'ghosts' if they fail to turn themselves in for quarantine. Since they are poor, they will be imprisoned for failure to comply.

Well, the 'government' is certainly doing its best to share the love around ... Just saw an announcement on video that showed people in the new, as-yet-unoccupied provincial administration building outside Surin city ("Town Hall" according to my b/f) setting up beds & other facilities for the ex-Sth Korea "illegal workers" to be quarantined there.

So the disease arrives in Surin. The bureaucrats who had probably all measured up their new office in what is quite a spectacular & very large building (just about the biggest in the whole of Surin, I shouldn't wonder) will be feeling less than excited at the prospect of moving in in a few weeks or months ...

On 3/8/2020 at 5:59 AM, rooster59 said:

Some labourers are, however, not staying at home and some are even travelling around.

Seriously, are we really calling them labourers?  The one in the picture looks a lot different from most construction workers I have ever seen.