Hospital Strategy - Flu

saengd

3 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

worst case scenario is not the flu...

It is for the purposes of this thread and the question that was posed!

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I would never go to a hospital with flu. There's nothing they can offer that I cannot get at home.

Except maybe an additional infection!

What if you're on the verge of developing pneumonia, you probably wouldn't know that but hospital care could help?

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

worst case scenario is not the flu...

In the last 2 months 60,000 people have died from the flu compared to COVID19.That a lot of worst case scenarios.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

In the last 2 months 60,000 people have died from the flu compared to COVID19.That a lot of worst case scenarios.

So the assumption is, no matter how sick you become after catching the flu, no matter what it develops into, regardless of your age or the state of your health you wouldn't visit the hospital regardless, is that what I'm hearing?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Speaking as a 70 year old with some pre-existing health conditions, my choice of hospital would be Suan Dok/Maharaj simply because it's likely to have the best treatment facilities and most experienced medical staff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

So the assumption is, no matter how sick you become after catching the flu, no matter what it develops into, regardless of your age or the state of your health you wouldn't visit the hospital regardless, is that what I'm hearing?

Me?I wouldn’t choose to go to the hospital.I would probably be taken to hospital by order of my wife.I have the flu right now and have had it for a week and have no intention of taking myself to the hospital.That’s not what you were hearing in my previous reply what you heard was me saying that for many the flu (as distinct from covid19) is a worst case scenario.

• Sad 1

I see this question is far too difficult for some people to imagine the context! For those people let's try and simplify matters: the flu and the covid19 virus are used interchangeably in the OP since a person would not know whether they had covid19 or the flu, unless they were tested, in a hospital.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Mortality rate for the flu is less than 1%

In Italy at the moment for Covid-19 it is up to 10% and its only a couple of months old and spreading rapidly around the world

Open your eyes, and don't believe what China is telling you about the deaths there

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

I see this question is far too difficult for some people to imagine the context! For those people let's try and simplify matters: the flu and the covid19 virus are used interchangeably in the OP since a person would not know whether they had covid19 or the flu, unless they were tested, in a hospital.

Thanks for the clarification I wasn't sure if you were making a distinction between the two or not.For me the flu and corona will be treated as one and the same.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, saengd said:

Thank you ML, your intellectual stamina and sharply focused thoughts are helpful contributors in determining an answer to the question that was posed.

I'm happy to read that you found my contribution helpful.

Have a safe and worry free day.

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Can you tell me how many have been infected and not been counted?If you only test those that get really sick then the death rate will be high like in America (534 cases 21 deaths CFR 3.93%) if you test a lot of people like Sth Korea (7313 cases 50 deaths CFR 0.68%) so the numbers argument is based purely on the amount of tests it's not based on what actually happens and that's what's causing a lot of the panic. 

No one knows, except i think Italy are being truthful more than any other country at the moment, the country is being desecrated

The Italian outbreak — the worst outside Asia — has inflicted serious damage on one of Europe’s most fragile economies and prompted the closing of Italy’s schools. The country’s cases nearly tripled from about 2,500 infections on Wednesday to more than 7,375 on Sunday. Deaths rose to 366.

Italy reported a huge jump in deaths from the coronavirus on Sunday, a surge of more than 50 percent from the day before, as it ordered an unprecedented peacetime lockdown of its wealthiest region in a sweeping effort to fight the epidemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/coronavirus-news.html

If it continues like this over this year, it will make the flu seem like a scratch on your hand

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

No one knows, except i think Italy are being truthful more than any other country at the moment, the country is being desecrated

The Italian outbreak — the worst outside Asia — has inflicted serious damage on one of Europe’s most fragile economies and prompted the closing of Italy’s schools. The country’s cases nearly tripled from about 2,500 infections on Wednesday to more than 7,375 on Sunday. Deaths rose to 366.

Italy reported a huge jump in deaths from the coronavirus on Sunday, a surge of more than 50 percent from the day before, as it ordered an unprecedented peacetime lockdown of its wealthiest region in a sweeping effort to fight the epidemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/coronavirus-news.html

If it continues like this over this year, it will make the flu seem like a scratch on your hand

The topic isn't about whether it is or not isn't, about Italy, about fatality rates, it's about hospitals in Chiang Mai in Thailand!

15 hours ago, saengd said:

Speaking as a 70 year old with some pre-existing health conditions, my choice of hospital would be Suan Dok/Maharaj simply because it's likely to have the best treatment facilities and most experienced medical staff.

That is a misconception. You could get an intern or 1 year resident. My surgeon once told me the rate of infection from an invasive procedure at Suan Dok by an inexperienced intern compared to a Professor and it was shocking.

When my kid was little and spent 11 days in Suan Dok, the Professor at Sriphat assured us that she would handle the case. After agreeing to move to Suan Dok we saw the Professor all of 3 times in 11 days. Every day there was a different inexperienced 24 y/o doctor (including an American young lady!) that made he rounds. It was not a good experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

That is a misconception. You could get an intern or 1 year resident. My surgeon once told me the rate of infection from an invasive procedure at Suan Dok by an inexperienced intern compared to a Professor and it was shocking.

When my kid was little and spent 11 days in Suan Dok, the Professor at Sriphat assured us that she would handle the case. After agreeing to move to Suan Dok we saw the Professor all of 3 times in 11 days. Every day there was a different inexperienced 24 y/o doctor (including an American young lady!) that made he rounds. It was not a good experience.

That's useful to know, many thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adammike said:

That's what doctors are for and they will recommend or send you to hospital.

Many of us use hospitals for all our health care needs, I certainly have here for the past twenty years. Only a handful use family doctors or stand alone clinics.

My advice for everyone would be to go buy some amoxicilin/doxycilin and azithromycin in the likely event at some point you contract covid 19.  The antibiotics are for the secondary pneumonia infection that could occur.  If you want to be more complete buy some prednisolone tablets and some mucous inhibitor tabs and teriflu if yo can get any.  There will likely be a run on these meds in the future.  Good luck.  

Edited by tlandtday

If you're feeling bad then I hear Chiang Mai Ram are selling the testing kits. Just 10,000baht to get tested a friend informed me. I imagine that Bangkok Hospital will offer the same as they won't want to miss out on making money from this disaster.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, saengd said:

I'm sure they will be happy to take someone's money for a medically incurable disease. The only cure for a virus is one's immune system.

If one does feel the need to waste money, I hope they wear a decent mask when in the hospital to protect others from their disease.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adammike said:

That's what doctors are for and they will recommend or send you to hospital.

I've never found a Dr outside the hospital. One probably wouldn't want to be hospitalised in a public hospital and a private hospital will probably try and stick an IV in one ( get more money ) which isn't a great idea and will charge a phenomenal amount just for staying. I have stayed in a private hospital- mind boggling bill.

I always have a store of amoxicillin (a general antibiotic) and  ciprofloxacin (a far stronger antibiotic). Yes, ineffective against a virus, but most general 'flue like'  illnesses are a combination of the two. Eliminating the bacterial infection is the first and easiest approach, and then simply keep hydrated. A Thai hospital will do the same and expose you to new comminicable contacts.

Interesting that Trump tweeted/implied this virus was a Democrat 'hoax' in an election year. He has now stopped all incoming access to America from Europe. There is a degree of poitical hysteria....simply because we do not know what may happen next. Sars/Mers....we got that figured out. This one....it is not knowing, which is evoking the fear. As Frank Zappa once lyriced "It can't happen here."  Yes my troll ...I am a Boomer...the last , somewhat, free generation, which thought it was 'normal' to live free. 

mythbuster-3.png

For those of you fantasizing about Covid-19 and self-administering antibiotics: go right ahead.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The only cure for a virus is one's immune system.

It amazes me how little faith people have in their own immune systems to fight against "invasion"

It amazes me even more how much faith they have in "Doctors" & drugs!

Did nobody else take care of themselves?