Tesco to consider Thai bids for Asian assets on Sunday - sources

webfact

Tesco to consider Thai bids for Asian assets on Sunday - sources

By Anshuman Daga and Kane Wu

2020-03-08T141659Z_2_LYNXMPEG270H5_RTROPTP_4_TESCO-M-A-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A company logo is pictured outside a Tesco supermarket in Altrincham northern England, April 16, 2016. REUTERS/Phil Noble/File Photo

SINGAPORE/HONG KONG (Reuters) - Tesco <TSCO.L> is set to assess bids by Thai billionaires for its Asian business on Sunday, a potential deal which could be worth just over $10 billion (7.66 billion pounds), four banking sources with knowledge of the matter said.

A final decision by Tesco could mark the end of a three-way tussle for control of the company's Thai operations, which comprise some 2,000 stores, said the sources, who declined to be identified as the information is confidential. Sources have said Tesco is also selling 74 outlets in Malaysia.

The bidding is shaping up as a battle between Dhanin Chearavanont's Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group, Central Group, controlled by the Chirathivat family, and beer-and-property magnate Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi's TCC Group, sources said.

"The end game is near," said one banking source.

The three Thai groups did not immediately respond to a Reuters request to comment on Sunday. Tesco also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Three sources said bidders were given until Sunday to come up with any last-minute revisions to their bids.

They said CP Group, which had sold its supermarket chain to Tesco during the Asian 1997-98 financial crisis, was the frontrunner.

Britain's biggest retailer said in December it started a review of its Asian operations, made up mainly of the Thai and Malaysian operations, after receiving interest.

Sources have also said antitrust concerns could pose a challenge to bidders as Thailand's antitrust office said last month that the deal should not violate anti-monopoly laws.

The Financial Times reported earlier on Sunday that Tesco's board was set to meet this weekend to finalise plans to sell the UK supermarket chain's Thai and Malaysian operations.

(Reporting by Anshuman Daga in Singapore and Kane Wu in Hong Kong; Additional reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng in Bangkok. Editing by Jane Merriman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-09

10 minutes ago, mark01 said:

Hopefully some good competition to Big C which has been pushing prices up over the last couple of years.

Currently Tesco lacks value and choice

over the last few months Tesco in Pattaya has been a dead loss , most of the Tesco lines that they used to stock have all sold out ,we rarely go there now .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mark01 said:

Hopefully some good competition to Big C which has been pushing prices up over the last couple of years.

Currently Tesco lacks value and choice

I heard CP got it so it will probably become Big C

32 minutes ago, monkfish said:

It really does not matter who wins the Bid for the Tesco Business.

Once the Tesco label has gone, the doors will be open for large price hikes on the products sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

I doubt you have actually heard anything vaguely reliable, but actually the CP group own 7/11. Big C are owned by the TCC Group.

Personally I hope that the Central Group (Robinsons, TOPS, Thai Watsadu, powerbuy, Supersports,etc) get it to keep a bit of competition going.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It really does not matter who wins the Bid for the Tesco Business.

Once the Tesco label has gone, the doors will be open for large price hikes on the products sold.

Yes in Chinese/Thais hands all control prices will increase twice and we foreigners will leave even more from Thailand

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Susco said:

Your poor informed bar stool source doesn't even seem to realise that CP and Big C are competitors of each other

Sorry my mistake you are correct CP doesn't own Big C but there is not need to throw insults

just because you spend half your life on bar stool doesn't mean everyone else does lol.

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Sorry my mistake you are correct CP doesn't own Big C but there is not need to throw insults

just because you spend half your life on bar stool doesn't mean everyone else does lol.

First of all I didn't throw a result I just stated facts, but you decided to throw an insult instead, because you don't know me at all and would not know that I haven't seen the inside of a bar in the last 5 years.

Back to your cave

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I doubt you have actually heard anything vaguely reliable, but actually the CP group own 7/11. Big C are owned by the TCC Group.

Personally I hope that the Central Group (Robinsons, TOPS, Thai Watsadu, powerbuy, Supersports,etc) get it to keep a bit of competition going.

CP also owns Makro.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Well looks like I was 50% right.

well, you or your source did have a 1 in 3 chance of guessing right LOL

Of course, CP used to own a supermarket chain that became Tesco-lotus Thailand until the late 90s, when they sold it for $180m .....now they buy it and the Malay operation for $10.6bn ?

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

well, you or your source did have a 1 in 3 chance of guessing right LOL

Of course, CP used to own a supermarket chain that became Tesco-lotus Thailand until the late 90s, when they sold it for $180m .....now they buy it and the Malay operation for $10.6bn ?

Well you did say and i quote "I doubt you have actually heard anything vaguely reliable" LOL so i just pointed out that part of what I said was correct even though i was mistaken about the Big C part for that I do apologize.

Edited by monkfish