Thailand tourist arrivals in February fall 44.3% due to coronavirus

webfact

I'm trying to imagine where the Thai economy might be in say six months (ish) from now, given progress with the virus et al:

The number of new and suspected flu cases in China appears to be dropping, only Hubei is reporting new cases. It is also reported that pollution levels are now increasing once again as production at Chinese  factories kicks in once again, it's taken four months to get to this point.   https://fortune.com/2020/03/03/rising-pollution-china-factories-coronavirus-outbreak/

The number of cases in Europe is increasing sharply, if the numbers follow China it'll be three months before they stabilize, maybe. But Europe's probably doesn't have the same ability or will to lock down the entire continent the same way that China does so it may take longer. Also, Europe sees more business and social travelers from other countries which could prolong matters. If Europe follows the China model it could be at least four more months before things normalize.

The numbers of new cases in Thailand and SE Asia/Asia seems to be increasing very slightly whilst restrict measures seem to be increasing, maybe too little too late, maybe not.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

If the situation out of China is as reported you can imagine that Thai tourism may begin to increase inside six months, as long as the number of cases in Thailand don't increase sharply and travel restrictions are lifted. Increased tourism is made even more likely if hotel/airline prices are lowered which I suspect they will be. Supply chains should also begin to function once again which will benefit Thai exports. China is the biggest single export market with the US and Japan following behind, some 30 other smaller countries make up the remaining 55%. https://oec.world/en/profile/country/tha/. Reduced global demand is likely to be an issue since many countries will go into recession this year, it's difficult to imagine the impact of this, Thailand may well see two successive quarters of negative growth.

TAT forecasts 30 million tourists in 2020, a 25% drop from last year, February numbers were down 44% but that's just one month, the numbers may drop further before beginning to stabilize. I'm guessing it will be a tough six months for the tourist industry but numbers should start to climb again by 3Q20.

As far as I can see nobody is forecasting a massive decline in Thai exports this year but it may be too early to sensibly estimate the numbers given all the variables and unknowns. Until two days ago best estimates I could find for export growth were 2%, the worst case I could find was -3%, only a few TV Forum members are suggesting Armageddon....I wouldn't bet on it. 

If anyone else has a sensible view on these things it will be good to hear them.

8 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Aliens to Thailand have been treated with disdain and contempt for too long. The virus is relief valve that has shaken up the money grabbing enterprises here severely. Will they learn a lesson from it, I doubt it.

Typical Thai accounting 101 is to increase prices during tough times or turn-down in business, so don't look for any easing of prices. 

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

Probably 99% here are not afraid of the virus but 99% are rightly concerned about getting caught up in the subsequent disruption.

Nobody with any sense is booking right now for travel over the next 3 months

Exactly, I have a few friends left around the world and most of them are frequent visitors of Thailand.50% cancelled their April and May Thailand trips,the other half is waiting with a booking.I think only idiots would book a Thai vacation at this time

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Aliens to Thailand have been treated with disdain and contempt for too long. The virus is relief valve that has shaken up the money grabbing enterprises here severely. Will they learn a lesson from it, I doubt it.

It's totally illogical to think the effects of the virus will change attitudes towards aliens or the economy as long as Thailand remains a good value destination for Chinese.

1 minute ago, Borzandy said:

It's really a shame to miss tourists like the ones in the photo

yes, in the OP, they don't appear behaving very respectful!

- bare knees everywhere ???? 

15 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

apparently in Bangkok it's so bad that muggers are accepting IOU's

mugging will deter other potential tourists who might be thinking of visiting thailand. are they bent on killing the goose .......

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

In the worst-case scenario, the number of foreign tourists may fall to 30 million this year from last year's 39.8 million,

If thats the worst-case scenario then it is much better than i expected .

A drop to 30 mill. may actually benefit the industry by forcing some of the late comers and poorly run aspects of the industry to fail.

36 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Exactly, I have a few friends left around the world and most of them are frequent visitors of Thailand.50% cancelled their April and May Thailand trips,the other half is waiting with a booking.I think only idiots would book a Thai vacation at this time

sure it is the possibility of being quarantined for 14 days that would cause serious disruptions.

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

Why bother to speculate on tourist numbers for 2020. In reality, nobody has a clue!

I think it's reasonable to forecast the numbers, the recovery in China is going to come before anywhere else and they are a near neighbor and the number of cases there is already reducing significantly, 30 mill. makes sense to me.

Just now, Henryford said:

A drop from 40 million to 30 million is a 25% drop. I think it will be far higher than that if Chinese tourists are down 85%.

30 Million is the whole year estimate. 

Tourism for February is down 44%, Chinese tourism for February is down 85%, those are one month figures only.

My Thai girlfriend is working at the thai bank, the credit card department.  she told me they had very many calls because of the non-payment of credit card loans..many Thais  have trouble repaying loans...I think,  this is direct evidence that the Thai economy is in trouble,,causes fall tourism, corona virus, China, strong baht,  not welcome for expats life in Thailand. yes chinese tourist - welcome,, but foreigners from USA, EU, AUS = not welcome = TM30, VISA rules,, dual prices, as Anutin said: need to kick out farangs... ocourse, not all Thai people have the same opinion as Anutin.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand tourist arrivals in February fall 44.3% due to coronavirus

And as always ... you never have the fault, the virus, the world economy, the Baht that you cannot "control" and to finish all the "wrong" news published by the media and in the forums ...

• Sad 1