Thailand tourist arrivals in February fall 44.3% due to coronavirus

webfact

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The government said last week it will seek cabinet approval on Tuesday for a $3.2 billion stimulus package to ease the virus impact.

But Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Monday there would be no such cash handouts

On and on with the double talk.

I have to go to Swampy to pick up a family member, i am dreading it with the lackadaisical checking of arrivals. is there any checking/ hand cleaner/temp testing or masks available for people entering the airport? any deep cleaning going on? I have read nothing on this to give the public confidence in using the airports. even Macro seem to have better control oh yeh its a foreign company i forgot.

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Please keep in mind that the WHO is infiltrated by Red China.....
But anyway, if the published numbers are correct, the number of new Wuhan virus infections in Red China is almost zero (despite a few handful in Hubei province, which is virtually nothing compared to the population living there)
Is has also been reported that satellites detected an increasing air pollution in Red Chinas industrial regions, which indicates that industrial production and commuting have restarted.

And I also agree with you that tourists from Red China will be flooding Thailand again, after cleaning up the aftermath of the epidemic and lifting of travel bans.
So there will be most likely no "Armageddon" for Thailand - unfortunately. More a kick in the butt.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Very much looking forward to the total collapse of the tourism industry here.

Why?

I am a regular tourist from UK coming every year for three months for twenty years and evenly split between Bkk. (to drink with expats) and Cha Am where my English wife joins me.

I more or less use the same places and have made some wonderful Thai friends in the tourist industry. I am always treated well, well received and respectfully looked after. These people's actual livlihoods are at risk. Many bar girls and the staff are also good people, but in unfortunate circumstances that they regret but have little choice with poor families to support up North. Most taxi drivers, even in Bkk, are not rouges just family men trying to make a living and support their families.

Ok. I get and share the dislike of the current regime, I occasionally am subject to scams and cynicism and am fully aware of the parochial mindset that many Thais possess, but I do not think that these factors are sufficient to delight in the collapse of the whole economy with many, many decent people in danger of severe hardship with no back-up from a hard regime who consider much of the population as cannon fodder.    

The general tone of much of this thread is unhealthy and nasty. It'snot just Thai bashing, it's Thai hatred. Are you mostly ex-pats? I don't get it.

Edited by Beechboy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Thailand needs tourists sooo much right now. 

They do. but how many Thai geniuses do you know out there? Nobel Prize winners? Revolutionary innovators?

That's right. Nada. Muay thai, prostitution, Du-le take care, Therevada buddhism and plantation work.

How many arrogant Thais do you know? That's right. a whole bunch of them.

Convinced they are the strongest, best, nation since "no one ever occupied Siam", farang stupid, farang that

... our food is the best, our people are the friendliest, we take care of our folks (by prostitution mostly) bla bla bla.

Enjoy that karma Thailand, you've earned it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

They are not accommodating the borrowers at all.

They are simply allowing borrowers 6 Months grace on their Loan repayments.

The Loans will still be there at the end of the 6 Months period, and will probably carry some charge or another for the privilege of being able to offset the payments for that period.

Loan Companies are the same as Banks,- they give the Customer NOTHING AT ALL, and this repayment offset is to reduce the amount of stock vehicles on NPL they will hold and have to sell at a loss.

Keep the numbers low, and hopefully the price stays fairly high for selling on

I guess the question would be, say if it was a balance on a Thai bank 18% APR credit card, are they simply saying:

--no payment required for the next six months but interest on the balance is still going to accrue, or

--no payment required and no interest accruing during the coming six months

I'm talking about transferring those two concept to the notion of existing vehicle loans.

Big difference between the two approaches. I'd be guessing, the Thai lenders aren't going to waive accrued interest for 6 months, but they might waive required payments.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Beechboy said:

The general tone of much of this thread is unhealthy and nasty. It'snot just Thai bashing, it's Thai hatred. Are you mostly ex-pats? I don't get it.

What I caught from just reading the entire thread was a predictable sense of good riddance to the Thai government (and nothing negative aimed at Thai citizens at all)...

--for placing all their eggs in the Chinese tourism basket, only to have it come crashing down

--while at the same time doing their best to make life miserable for the expat and western tourist community here.

--and in the process, failing to reinvest the profits from mass China tourism to offset its negative environmental and other impacts and actually make the country a better tourist experience for all... safe, clean, comfortable, courteous, convenient, etc etc.

It's hard to not have the feeling at this point that they finally reaped what they sowed, even if only for some temporary duration.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NoComment said:

"All eggs in one basket"

Maybe China isn't the best basket after all.

Could be a lesson for the future.????

Well, there was SARS from China in 2002-2003. Now there is CV from China in 2019-2020... 

It's not unreasonable to expect some other epidemic will emerge somewhere down the road.

•  
  •  

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The number of tourist arrivals in Thailand fell 44.3% in February from a year earlier due to the coronavirus epidemic, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said on Monday.

So, of the 55.7% of February 2019 numbers arrived!  Not even knowing the actual 'numbers' this is a bit scary!

But no need to worry as I just read in a previous Thaivisa post that:

'Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Yutthasak Supasorn said. “We believe that the outbreak could be controlled by the end of March'' '

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

Probably 99% here are not afraid of the virus but 99% are rightly concerned about getting caught up in the subsequent disruption.

Nobody with any sense is booking right now for travel over the next 3 months

I have already booked my flight to Glasgow with Emirates in September, also my hotel, if things don't get better by then, I may get my flight cancelled.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What I caught from just reading the entire thread was a predictable sense of good riddance to the Thai government (and nothing negative aimed at Thai citizens at all)...

--for placing all their eggs in the Chinese tourism basket, only to have it come crashing down

--while at the same time doing their best to make life miserable for the expat and western tourist community here.

--and in the process, failing to reinvest the profits from mass China tourism to offset its negative environmental and other impacts and actually make the country a better tourist experience for all... safe, clean, comfortable, courteous, convenient, etc etc.

It's hard to not have the feeling at this point that they finally reaped what they sowed, even if only for some temporary duration.

I get that and do agree. But would tend to see in as a generalisation.

The last few years the country seems to be more hostile towards Westerners, but I am thinking about things on a personal level and all the good people who would suffer from a complete crash of tourism.

We have Social Security and the NHS in UK.How much will impoverished Thais be able to rely on such things?

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have already booked my flight to Glasgow with Emirates in September, also my hotel, if things don't get better by then, I may get my flight cancelled.

I just booked my return flight to Brussels, May 1 - June 2, with Emirates > fare all in 500,- Euro and no charge for changing dates when needed.

23 hours ago, saengd said:

Currently exports are at USD 19.5 bill., down from a peak of USD 22.5 bill, we're currently at 2016 levels. The rapid growth rate was never sustainable and everyone understood that.

Sorry I think I must be thick but what growth rate? 

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I just booked my return flight to Brussels, May 1 - June 2, with Emirates > fare all in 500,- Euro and no charge for changing dates when needed.

I was told if I wanted to change my dates with Emirates, it would cost me 10.000 Baht. No, seriously. The fare was only 28.000 Baht return.

6 hours ago, saengd said:

Yes, agreed. As said previously: I started off believing that transit at BKK was possible, I even recall dong so myself. But then I was persuaded by a poster who claimed to be "airline personnel" that it was no longer possible, I posted that discussion earlier. I then checked further and see there are transit facilities albeit I don't know any airline that uses them any more, even Bangkok Airways seems to have forced everyone into transfers.

I would take what you were told with a grain of salt, and your comment is not in line with what appears on the BK airways website.

Restrictions:

Passengers are required to remain in the transfer areas at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) or Phuket (HKT) airports.
- Only single tickets containing the ongoing segment(s) will qualify for Check Through service.
- Passenger with special conditions (eg. Unaccompanied Minors) are not eligible for Check Through service.
- Passengers who have not obtained their onward boarding pass(es) due to system or ticket problems shall recheck-in at the transfer desk of the ongoing carrier.
- Bangkok Airways will issue boarding pass(es) for passengers connecting with the following participating airlines (operating carriers) listed in the tables below.

When passenger travel with two separate tickets, Bangkok Airways will no longer through-check passenger and bags to the end destinations on the secondary separate ticket. Please see more details in Separate Ticket Policy

https://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in

Edited by sandyf

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would take what you were told with a grain of salt, and your comment is not in line with what appears on the BK airways website.

Restrictions:

Passengers are required to remain in the transfer areas at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) or Phuket (HKT) airports.
- Only single tickets containing the ongoing segment(s) will qualify for Check Through service.
- Passenger with special conditions (eg. Unaccompanied Minors) are not eligible for Check Through service.
- Passengers who have not obtained their onward boarding pass(es) due to system or ticket problems shall recheck-in at the transfer desk of the ongoing carrier.
- Bangkok Airways will issue boarding pass(es) for passengers connecting with the following participating airlines (operating carriers) listed in the tables below.

When passenger travel with two separate tickets, Bangkok Airways will no longer through-check passenger and bags to the end destinations on the secondary separate ticket. Please see more details in Separate Ticket Policy

https://www.bangkokair.com/through-check-in

I was referring to the single ticket aspect which changed fairly recently, the words in red.

The poster who argued the point with me did so quite forcefully and said he was airline staff or employed by an airline and he finally convinced me, yet another Walt poster.

Edited by saengd

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I was told if I wanted to change my dates with Emirates, it would cost me 10.000 Baht. No, seriously. The fare was only 28.000 Baht return.

When I opened the Emirates site this morning, a pop-up appeared that if you book before 30th of March that no charges would be applied when having to change.

And indeed I opted for the cheapest return flight (17.600 THB Bangkok-Brussels) and my confirmed ticket indicates NO charges for changes.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When I opened the Emirates site this morning, a pop-up appeared that if you book before 30th of March that no charges would be applied when having to change.

And indeed I opted for the cheapest return flight (17.600 THB Bangkok-Brussels) and my confirmed ticket indicates NO charges for changes.

Glad to hear that, I am booked with Emirates to go to the UK in May. What is more of a headache is I have booked a package holiday to Morocco during the visit. The way things are going. Morocco could ban arrivals from the UK.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Glad to hear that, I am booked with Emirates to go to the UK in May. What is more of a headache is I have booked a package holiday to Morocco during the visit. The way things are going. Morocco could ban arrivals from the UK.

Better check your booking.  I think this 'no charge for changes' is actually a promotional offer (valid till end of March) to boost sales in the present fear-of-flying climate.