Bank Savings Interest Rates 2021

Thanks for the updates.  Nice to see some better Thai rates.  I have seen banks in the USA offering 5% for a 1 year CD(fixed account).  Hopefully,  after the next Fed meeting, Thailand will push up the rates a little more. I don't expect to see 5%  anytime here. 

3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

You could invest the money and get 10% return per year.  So really it is costing you $2300 USD a year for a retirement visa. Minus -2% then it is down to $1850 a year.

What are you investing in to get 10%?

• Haha 2

On 2/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, moogradod said:

LH Bank (Terminal 21, Pattaya) 12 months fixed, 1.85%

The Pro-Fit high interest savings account at LH is for Thai citizens only.  They may not be farang friendly 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

The Pro-Fit high interest savings account at LH is for Thai citizens only.  They may not be farang friendly 

I was not aware of that, sorry. My Wife, Thai CItizen, has one account there, that is where I got the information from.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, how241 said:

I have seen banks in the USA offering 5% for a 1 year CD(fixed account).  

Banks in the USA offering up to

4.55% on standard Savings accounts (Withdraw anytime, no penalty), federally insured for 250k.

(Rates can change at anytime).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, Don Chance said:

You could invest the money and get 10% return per year.  So really it is costing you $2300 USD a year for a retirement visa. Minus -2% then it is down to $1850 a year.

"invest" in a crypto haha. Is it run by Sam Bankman-Fried?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, moogradod said:

I was not aware of that, sorry. My Wife, Thai CItizen, has one account there, that is where I got the information from

Only for Thai citizens who hold a valid Thai ID card.

• For individuals of Thai nationality only,  aged over 15 years
  • Open an account in the name of an individual (Unable to open a joint account)
  • The interest rates shown in the media refer to the Bank's interest rate announcements. You can check the current interest rates at the bank's website or branch. 
  • Conditions and interest rates are as announced by the bank.
  • This deposit product is protected by the Deposit Protection Agency in the amount specified by law.

https://www.lhbank.co.th/th/personal/deposits/pro-fit-digital-savings/

• Like 1

How much do you pay your agent ? 

Edited by brianthainess

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I don't even have a Thai Tax ID Card, they opened an account for me, but i had to take the missus along :blink:

A Thai Tax ID card is not required in order to open a bank account, but I was trying to get them to recognize that I provided my Thai Tax ID number to them when opening the account so that they could waive (as Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank have) 15% automatic tax withholding on interest earned on the account.  Some have been successful at doing this but I have not been able to get my particular SCB branch to do this for me.  So this year I filed a Thai Tax Return (P.N.D-90) to have the withheld amount refunded.  If I could get SCB to not withhold the tax in the first place I would not have to file a Thai Tax Return.

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

"invest" in a crypto haha. Is it run by Sam Bankman-Fried?

Nexo has had no involvement or losses with any of the cryptos that recently have gone bankrupt or had similar issues.  I don't want to hijack this thread into a crypto thread.  End of crypto posts. 

You are correct.  With the low rates that the Thai banks are paying ,  keeping the 800K does cost some lost interest(lost money).  It is certainly not a free visa.  I know that some people use agents to avoid keeping the 800K in the bank but even that will cost 12K-15K  and I am not comfortable with the legality of it.  No free ride.  On a non-related issue, I don't know why immigration doesn't charge a small fee for the 90 day report. It would give them a large additional income stream.  Most things done at any Gov't offices will require a fee.  I won't be making this suggestion to them...hahaha

I have recently seen interest rates of 7.4%-8.5%  at major Vietnam banks and 6%-7% at Cambodia Banks for 8-12 month accounts.  As a foreigner, has anyone recently opened any accounts with them ?   What was your experience?  Do you think it is risky ?  I was reading that they offer accounts in US dollars and Thai baht, along with their own currency.  What do you think ???

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, how241 said:

I have recently seen interest rates of 7.4%-8.5%  at major Vietnam banks and 6%-7% at Cambodia Banks for 8-12 month accounts.  As a foreigner, has anyone recently opened any accounts with them ?   What was your experience?  Do you think it is risky ?  I was reading that they offer accounts in US dollars and Thai baht, along with their own currency.  What do you think ???

Will they give you that rate on a USD or THB account? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Will they give you that rate on a USD or THB account? 

I just did a 'quick' read on the banks website so I am not sure.  It looks like the Vietnam banks don't pay interest on dollar accounts but I could be wrong.  It looked like the Cambodia banks paid interest on THB.   Again, I am not sure as I only did a quick read at one banks website.  That's why I am hoping to get recent info from people that have actually made accounts with them.

47 minutes ago, how241 said:

I just did a 'quick' read on the banks website so I am not sure.  It looks like the Vietnam banks don't pay interest on dollar accounts but I could be wrong.  It looked like the Cambodia banks paid interest on THB.   Again, I am not sure as I only did a quick read at one banks website.  That's why I am hoping to get recent info from people that have actually made accounts with them.

Bank failure notwithstanding, there is also risk with currency fluctuation. 

My interest earning immigration account was a lot more attractive before the Baht went south and I started getting 3% in the US. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Bank failure notwithstanding, there is also risk with currency fluctuation. 

My interest earning immigration account was a lot more attractive before the Baht went south and I started getting 3% in the US. 

I think the largest banks are relatively safe.  Vietnam has good growth potential.  I liked the idea of having a Thai baht account,  thus avoiding the exchange rate drama.  In the US,  getting 3-4.5% is common but I like to keep some money closer to where I live.  I have lived in Thailand for 12 years but Vietnam might be another place to try out. 

41 minutes ago, how241 said:

Try opening an account and see how it goes, $100 minimum might be fun is you can do everything online.  

Open a USD and a KHR with the same amount and see how they do.

Might be interesting... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1