Pattaya and the outbreak

talfarlow

Just curious what people's read on Pattaya right now it given the global outbreak.

I assume prices (hotel etc..) are down for a number of reasons but I'm wondering how risky people think it is in terms of the virus at this point? I'm interested in any angles on it. Which part of Thailand seems to have been hit the hardest?

Also, I come semi regularly to Thailand but always for less than 30 days. Can I just go to immigration within Thailand (BKK or Pattaya and get another 30 days? I might be looking at a 6 week stretch or so where I'd like to lay low.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on it.

Just now, BeltAndRoad said:

You have more chance of jumping from your hotel balcony then catching the corona virus.  Pretty sure you can get a 1 month extension at Pattaya immigration for about 2000 baht. You may want to check the new law Thailand just passed about holding planes on the tarmac, it would not be nice having to sit on a plane for an unknown time.

All sounds pretty reasonable 30-60 days w/o too many hassles. Given what's going on it looks like rates are low just everywhere in the world.

Sitting on the tarmac doesn't sound like fun. Have to keep my eye on the banks not exchanging money....a bit strange.

25 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

You have more chance of jumping from your hotel balcony then catching the corona virus.  Pretty sure you can get a 1 month extension at Pattaya immigration for about 2000 baht. You may want to check the new law Thailand just passed about holding planes on the tarmac, it would not be nice having to sit on a plane for an unknown time.

are you sure this is happening in thailand? could you confirm your source? it has been happening to planes arriving in china, shanghai i believe, for disinfecting, but i've heard nothing similar happening here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, samsensam said:

are you sure this is happening in thailand? could you confirm your source? it has been happening to planes arriving in china, shanghai i believe, for disinfecting, but i've heard nothing similar happening here.

only from high risk areas.  though if a passenger on your flight has the sniffles, the way people are over reacting, could mean many hours on the tarmac

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Which little hole are you pulling that information from? It is not high risk based on the number of reported cases. If you believe the reported cases is unreliable, well I doubt it is by a phenomenal factor . Thai society is very gossipy and despite attempts to control media it is also media savvy.

The numbers would have to be seriously understated to come close to China/ Korea and Italy. 

Well Kuwait have evacuated all its citizens, why? Qatar are suspending flights, Why. Believe Thailand government facts, dream on

Bury your head in the "hole" in the sand if you want, I don't really care

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Then where would you put Thailand, as bad as the UK, Italy, Korea  or negligible? If it was much more common, I would expect to hear about it, as I said, in a media savvy and gossipy place like Thailand. 

The truth is out there somewhere. However, in a world where manipulation of data and alternative facts are now mainstream political practice, it is very elusive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Then where would you put Thailand, as bad as the UK, Italy, Korea  or negligible? If it was much more common, I would expect to hear about it, as I said, in a media savvy and gossipy place like Thailand. 

I agree Thailand is a gossipy place but the computer crime laws are also strict and ruthless, the government has made clear it will use these for spreading rumours about COVID. Rumours without fact are dangerous but it also stops any genuine concerns because of the fear of unjust prosecution.

My personal belief is that Thailand cases can be found in the published figures reported in the PUI daily. The problem being that no mention is ever made of who has been tested positive or negative. So a best guess for me would be in the 1000 up range who are positive and have been identified but who knows how many more walking around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

So your an authority on this are you ? i take it your one of those people that has an underground bunker full of provisions for a nuclear emergancy as well?

yes actually i am. what is wrong with that?

11 hours ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Use your Atm card in Thailand to with draw your daily amount, you shouldn't be carrying alot of cash around anyway, i'm guessing they are not exchanging cash as it may have corona virus on it due to the fact cash is handle so much and it obviously coming from outside Thailand, just another overreaction, don't allow mainstream media to scare you, they are full of s**t this will be all forgotten in about 3 months and we will be back onto North Korea nuclear threat or some other bulls**t. 

one bank has over reacted, not the whole system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

How many tests have Thailand done? UK 25,000 so far, where's the transparency?

Screenshot_20200310-104954.png

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I agree Thailand is a gossipy place but the computer crime laws are also strict and ruthless, the government has made clear it will use these for spreading rumours about COVID. Rumours without fact are dangerous but it also stops any genuine concerns because of the fear of unjust prosecution.

My personal belief is that Thailand cases can be found in the published figures reported in the PUI daily. The problem being that no mention is ever made of who has been tested positive or negative. So a best guess for me would be in the 1000 up range who are positive and have been identified but who knows how many more walking around.

There's a similar perspective here in Vietnam. While the public often doesn't trust the government, the strict laws on internet usage (pretty big brother before the virus thing) leave people being very, very careful of what they post.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, Kuwait, a real leader in the world, and Qatar too! I doubt the world should follow the lead of these two little Emirates. 

What makes you think the situation in Thailand is not as reported? Are you in Thailand right now or watching the television? You are fear mongering. 

They're not Emirate states.

But UAE residents are also banned from coming to Thailand.

They're paranoid of the infidels.

Carry on and enjoy your holiday. I just had a month in Pattaya and it was great. Just put all the doom mongering and dark warnings from the uninformed (by choice or by lack of information) to one side and have a great time. Rumours won't kill you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The number of positive cases are directly related to the number of tests carried out. The answer in Thailand is staring you in the face minimum tests = minimum positives. I have just returned to the UK from a month in Thailand and personally would not cancel a Thai holiday as I suspect the chance of catching covid 19 are just about the same anywhere outside of china and Italy but I would make sure my holiday insurance was up to date before flying and make contingency plans in case of flights delays when leaving Thailand.

Ken.

• Like 1