Vietnam suspends visa-free travel for 8 European countries over coronavirus concerns

2 hours ago, jirathama said:

Would a Visa on Arrival also work?

An vietnamese Visa Agency just offered the alternative of invitation letter and then VoA.

We are flying to Vietnam beginning of April, and Iam normally Visa excempt for 15 days (European).

What happens if applying for an EVisa and this gets denied? Can i still opt for the VoA afterwards?

Thanks for you guys input.

The non-government visa agency has to get the letter of invitation from Vietnamese Immigration who are the same entity that runs the eVisa process. I would imagine that if they shut down one method, the other will be suspended as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Will governments become more accommodating or will they stick with the same inflexible visa requirements? More of a rhetorical question really, as I think it's pretty obvious what Thailand will do.

In particular, might be time to review the non-O multi entries and allow a one year stay, rather than the 90 day stays. With these, a border bounce is necessary. For now, Laos and Myanmar (and Cambodia) are OK, but what if Thailand decides (or for that matter these countries) to shut their borders? I'm in a bit of a pickle here...as are probably many mixed families - although my children have a second passport, wifey only has one (Thai). It's looking increasingly likely that families could be split up for  a while UNLESS we expats decide to stay put through this crisis. This could mean, for some of us, unless immigration changes their rules, coming up with 400,000 Baht and doing a TM30 to get an extension of stay rather than using a non-O multi entry. Women have it easier...they don't have the same financial requirements, but 90% of foreign-Thai couples consist of a foreign male and Thai female.

We may not have a choice if the entire world gets locked down and all borders closed, which is kinda looking increasingly likely. Even if it doesn't go that far, just look at the number of countries banning Thais from entering (Israel, Qatar, Bahrain) and this also includes anyone who's been in Thailand recently. Israel has now banned many Europeans too.

What do you think is Thailand's 'obvious' choice?

Without getting into hypotheticals that would only serve to confuse those not following the whole conversation here as well as attracting the inevitable Thai-bashers, since any travel lock-down will be a global attempt to limit the contagion, it is unlikely that Thailand or any other country will start evicting foreigners due to their lapsed or expired immigration status. With the likelihood that no country (not even their own) may readily accept someone being 'deported' from a country with questionable controls and the fact that flights will be scarce, there could be some laxity. Maybe the only hardships being self-isolation, mandatory registration with a government hospital and more frequent reporting, be it at immigration or at the hospital.

On the other hand, foreign governments may agree to providing mandatory (not voluntary) repatriation flights so regardless of your visa or marital status, you have to go home. There should be more than enough A380's and 777-300's sitting around to get everyone where they maybe don't want to go.

A british family last week flew to Vietnam for a holiday and it was discovered on the plane was an infected Vietnamese woman.They were then sent to a sub standard ( to put it mildly) vietnamese hospital for 14 days quarantine.

Even if you do everything correctly, you are at the mercy of others .

I've just been informed from a friend that Vietnam are 'not' granting the e-visa to UK citizens from yesterday. Anyone have any information on this?

I have had a holiday booked for months for April, found out about the 2 weeks visa exempt being stopped and needing to apply for an e-visa, but before I pay the non refundable fee i'd rather know the latest.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, wildpikey said:

I've just been informed from a friend that Vietnam are 'not' granting the e-visa to UK citizens from yesterday. Anyone have any information on this?

I have had a holiday booked for months for April, found out about the 2 weeks visa exempt being stopped and needing to apply for an e-visa, but before I pay the non refundable fee i'd rather know the latest.

Best to check the official Immigration website, rather than the agents who simply sell letters.

The current restriction lasts until 15 April, potential travellers are asked to suspend their trips until the situation improves.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/home

On 3/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, wildpikey said:

Hi. I booked my onward flight from BKK to SGN whilst still in the UK in early Feb. I arrived in Thailand 20th Feb and was considering over a 3 month m/e visa against a 3 month s/e visa for Vietnam. The 1st rule that came in was that the 15 day visa waiver had been retracted which didnt affect me at that time as I was considering the longer visa.

However, a few days later I was told by an agent in Vietnam that they had cancelled all visas for the foreseeable future, but if I had already successfully applied for my 3 month visa I would have been guaranteed entry although probably screened on arrival. 

I emailed Vietjet even before I contacted the agent and am still yet to receive a reply!! My flight was only £35 so no biggy and come this Friday I can extend in Thailand for 30 days hoping things will have settled down maybe in the next 5 weeks.

From my personal point of view, my agent here in Thailand has said that at the end of my extension period in 5 weeks. I will not be kicked out of Thailand if the virus still has everyone flapping when that time arises, because if for instance I got on my flight this Friday and VN didnt let me in, Thailand would not let me back in after already stamping me out as a filthy falang haha - hope that helps

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

oh diddums;  Brexit delays went on for 14+ days too long...

diddums?? What are you on about? Brexit prevailed and Im more than happy the losers and antagonists were found out. Sounds like you are the salty one here, get used to it because the world has figured out what the liberal left is all about. 

10 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:
21 minutes ago, tifino said:

oh diddums;  Brexit delays went on for 14+ days too long...

diddums?? What are you on about? Brexit prevailed and Im more than happy the losers and antagonists were found out. Sounds like you are the salty one here, get used to it because the world has figured out what the liberal left is all about. 

i was only in on the context of the Timing

- 31jan was only a short time ago

and they are being seen as physically europeans like the rest of them

This latest edict from Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This came into effect last Sunday night. This is BEYOND the 8 nation eVisa restrictions announced a few days earlier and amounts to restrictions on nationals of the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations and all other foreigners who may have passed through the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations within the last 14-days.

Temporary regulatory change on entry, exit for foreigners

The Covid-19 has been spreading swiftly in a complex manner on a large scale across the world. The Government of Viet Nam has decided to: (i) temporarily suspend entry for tourist who come from the Schengen countries and/or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or have visited or transited through these areas within 14 days preceding their expected entry into Viet Nam; (ii) suspend visa upon arrival for all foreign nationals. This decision will be effective from 12:00 (noon), 15 March 2020 for 30 days, and not be applicable to entrants for diplomatic or official purposes.

Foreigners who are experts, business managers, highly skilled workers entering Viet Nam will be medical checked and quarantine shall be applied in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health.

Viet Nam has informed all diplomatic missions, consular offices and representative offices of international organizations in Viet Nam of the decision, and will maintain close monitor the epidemic and collaboration with other countries, international organizations and partners to promptly adjust prevention and control measures for the Covid-19./.

http://www.mofa.gov.vn/en/nr040807104143/nr040807105001/ns200314083802

The British Embassy Hanoi have transliterated it as follows:

ukinvn.PNG.62dcffe5c7224c72fdd80dda79b76466.PNG

The newspaper we cannot mention also had their own take on the official instruction but there's absolutely no clarity if visas can be applied for and possibly issued to those from the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations if it is more than 14 days since they were last in the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This latest edict from Vietnam's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This came into effect last Sunday night. This is BEYOND the 8 nation eVisa restrictions announced a few days earlier and amounts to restrictions on nationals of the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations and all other foreigners who may have passed through the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations within the last 14-days.

Temporary regulatory change on entry, exit for foreigners

The Covid-19 has been spreading swiftly in a complex manner on a large scale across the world. The Government of Viet Nam has decided to: (i) temporarily suspend entry for tourist who come from the Schengen countries and/or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or have visited or transited through these areas within 14 days preceding their expected entry into Viet Nam; (ii) suspend visa upon arrival for all foreign nationals. This decision will be effective from 12:00 (noon), 15 March 2020 for 30 days, and not be applicable to entrants for diplomatic or official purposes.

Foreigners who are experts, business managers, highly skilled workers entering Viet Nam will be medical checked and quarantine shall be applied in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health.

Viet Nam has informed all diplomatic missions, consular offices and representative offices of international organizations in Viet Nam of the decision, and will maintain close monitor the epidemic and collaboration with other countries, international organizations and partners to promptly adjust prevention and control measures for the Covid-19./.

http://www.mofa.gov.vn/en/nr040807104143/nr040807105001/ns200314083802

The British Embassy Hanoi have transliterated it as follows:

ukinvn.PNG.62dcffe5c7224c72fdd80dda79b76466.PNG

The newspaper we cannot mention also had their own take on the official instruction but there's absolutely no clarity if visas can be applied for and possibly issued to those from the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations if it is more than 14 days since they were last in the UK and Northern Ireland + 26 Schengen nations.

Yes it could still be ambiguous in the reading of "come from"

I read it as one can enter as a UK citizen if one is not "COMING FROM" the UK.

Then again I wish to enter Vietnam this weekend and it may be wishful thinking.

If I had to bet I'd say one can enter.

Edited by cheeryble

17 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Yes it could still be ambiguous in the reading of "come from"

I read it as one can enter as a UK citizen if one is not "COMING FROM" the UK.

Then again I wish to enter Vietnam this weekend and it may be wishful thinking.

If I had to bet I'd say one can enter.

...if you are not coming from the UK and Schengen Europe IN THE LAST 14 DAYS.

You will still need a visa (I think the eVisa has been suspended along with the visa-on-arrival) so best ask at the nearest Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate. If it's OK, then you still need to submit a medical declaration either online or upon arrival. There will ALSO be extra health checks on arrival and being from the UK, they may be more rigorous with the downside that you may get punted into quarantine if they have any doubts.

Also consider your situation if Vietnam is blacklisted by your eventual destination or homeland (if not already). At these times, all travel plans and destinations really need to be well thought out beyond a weekend in Saigon. I read that Hoi An and other desirable hideaways for the more traveled foreigner are under real close scrutiny by the health authorities.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...if you are not coming from the UK and Schengen Europe IN THE LAST 14 DAYS.

You will still need a visa (I think the eVisa has been suspended along with the visa-on-arrival) so best ask at the nearest Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate. If it's OK, then you still need to submit a medical declaration either online or upon arrival. There will ALSO be extra health checks on arrival and being from the UK, they may be more rigorous with the downside that you may get punted into quarantine if they have any doubts.

Also consider your situation if Vietnam is blacklisted by your eventual destination or homeland (if not already). At these times, all travel plans and destinations really need to be well thought out beyond a weekend in Saigon. I read that Hoi An and other desirable hideaways for the more traveled foreigner are under real close scrutiny by the health authorities.

Yes I will be coming back to Chiangmai and it had occurred to me the Thais could halt entry.

However I am told there will be an announcement tonight or after a cabinet meeting tomorrow stating any This restrictions. This would probably be similar to Vietnam's if return from Da Nang is allowed it will last a little while in a ll likelihood.

SO I shall wait on this policy and book if things work out.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, cheeryble said:

Yes I will be coming back to Chiangmai and it had occurred to me the Thais could halt entry.

However I am told there will be an announcement tonight or after a cabinet meeting tomorrow stating any This restrictions. This would probably be similar to Vietnam's if return from Da Nang is allowed it will last a little while in a ll likelihood.

SO I shall wait on this policy and book if things work out.

Looks like the game is up.

All normal peeps banned from Vietnam last night

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Looks like the game is up.

All normal peeps banned from Vietnam last night

The flight CM to DAD landed an hour ago.

CM to HAN still scheduled for 1.30

Thats airasia.

Are the planes empty and just going to collect people already there?

We are looking at refunds now, if airline dont cancel you get nothing, but possibly can get a refund when national restrictions are applying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

The flight CM to DAD landed an hour ago.

CM to HAN still scheduled for 1.30

Thats airasia.

Are the planes empty and just going to collect people already there?

We are looking at refunds now, if airline dont cancel you get nothing, but possibly can get a refund when national restrictions are applying.

So where;s the alternative Mr Eyecatcher.

A 2 hour flight for the same price of CNX to DAD would be good

Outside or inside Thailand?