Returning to BKK after scrapping O-A Visa.

Returning to BKK next weekend after 4 weeks in Aust.

Have had an O-A Retirement Visa for many years but didn't want to be forced to take the new compulsory hospital insurance. 
Before flying home l did a quick trip to Laos and used my single re-entry permit. 
When l return to BKK my O-A Retirement Visa should no longer be valid.
Plan was to enter Thailand Visa Exempt and then go through process of obtaining the type O Retirement Visa 
Local IO have already told me there will not be any problems and they will accept my existing 800k.
Now thinking l may have another problem at BKK.
For  last 7 or 8 years my flights have all been returns from Thailand to Aust. This trip is same, the return leg, therefore l will not have an onforwarding or return flight which l believe is a condition of entering Thailand Visa Exempt.
Not planning on returning to Aust until next December so that's out. Would a ticket to Phnom Penh be sufficient to get the VE?
Only other option would be ticket back to Aust with option to change flight dates.
Any first hand experience please?

Immigration will not be asking to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

It will be the airline asking for it. A low cost one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport in Thailand will be accepted.

• Like 1

Exactly, thats it,.OZ is notorious for wanting to see POOT=Proof Of Onward Travel (in general however airlines only will accept airtix) at the check in. You could book for around 1200 THB a single on the GiantIbis BUS Bkk-Siem Reap, but you take chances they will not accept it. cheapest tix out are mostly to MY, it does not necessarily have to be from BKK, Phuket/krabi/even HYai is also OK. And, do I really need to state?- IN the 30 days after arrival, even though one can extend the 30 day visa-exempt in country. You simply have chosen about the worst enforcing country for this.

Any airticket out includes the 700 bt airport tax, AirAsia will refund, in the end, 600 of that after a very long wait, if it has not been used. Dont know about other cheapo airlines. As such the cheapest train ticket would be over the bridge to Laos from Nongh Khai-30 or 40 bt.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, asanee said:

Exactly, thats it,.OZ is notorious for wanting to see POOT=Proof Of Onward Travel (in general however airlines only will accept airtix) at the check in. You could book for around 1200 THB a single on the GiantIbis BUS Bkk-Siem Reap, but you take chances they will not accept it. cheapest tix out are mostly to MY, it does not necessarily have to be from BKK, Phuket/krabi/even HYai is also OK. And, do I really need to state?- IN the 30 days after arrival, even though one can extend the 30 day visa-exempt in country. You simply have chosen about the worst enforcing country for this.

Any airticket out includes the 700 bt airport tax, AirAsia will refund, in the end, 600 of that after a very long wait, if it has not been used. Dont know about other cheapo airlines. As such the cheapest train ticket would be over the bridge to Laos from Nongh Khai-30 or 40 bt.

Airline will only accept onward FLIGHT. Any bus train or whatever won't cut it. Your correct on long wait for airport tax not to mention the process.

So back to the thread. As stated you can buy cheap flight.

BTW it's not just OZ. You will not get on plane without onward flight without visa or reentry permit etc. I fly every other week. This Friday Saigon. Back Monday. My reentry permit page will have folded corner to help airline staff. 

8 minutes ago, richardlg said:

Thanks for replying ubonjoe and asanee. Just checked and can buy Airasia DMK to Phnom Penh for 1.540 bht and will do so in morning.

And I just checked AirAsia most flights Saigon 990baht. Cambodia always more expensive than other places. 

Check out options.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And I just checked AirAsia most flights Saigon 990baht. Cambodia always more expensive than other places. 

Check out options.

Thanks. I should to be miles in front.

Save 550 on ticket 

Plus 500 because hadn't yet transferred

O-A to new p/p. New O visa won't have to.

Plus won't have to travel from Udon Thani to Jomtien to get original O-A stamp in new p/p. Udon said issued in Jomtien so they have to transfer.

Not to mention about 65,000 baht for useless hospital insurance for 73 yo.

I'll be a happy man if this all works out.

6 minutes ago, richardlg said:

Thanks. I should to be miles in front.

Save 550 on ticket 

Plus 500 because hadn't yet transferred

O-A to new p/p. New O visa won't have to.

Plus won't have to travel from Udon Thani to Jomtien to get original O-A stamp in new p/p. Udon said issued in Jomtien so they have to transfer.

Not to mention about 65,000 baht for useless hospital insurance for 73 yo.

I'll be a happy man if this all works out.

Avoid non O-A at all costs. The Thai insurance killed it. 

It will work for you to obtain non-o.

This guy can advise on options @Peter Denis

39 minutes ago, richardlg said:

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks but too late, had an non O-A for last 11 years. This is all about getting rid of it and getting a non-O.

And yes, got good advice from Peter at the outset.

Edited by richardlg
Duplicated quote and response 3 times

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

What's the difference between non O-A vs non-O?  

Big difference for me was non O-A, based on Retirement, that l got from Thai Embassy Australia in 2008 now requires that you have Thai Hospital cover.

The insurance is expensive and not worth a cracker when your going on 73yo.

Non-O, currently, does not require Thai Hospital insurance.

10 hours ago, richardlg said:

Thanks but too late, had an non O-A for last 11 years. This is all about getting rid of it and getting a non-O.

And yes, got good advice from Peter at the outset.

HI Richardlg,

I just PM-ed you the latest update of the Roadmap to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

The process-steps to be taken are still same, but the document now contains much more info on the requirements to be met in each step (as well as caveats).  

Also please note, that since end of February there is now FINALLY the option to subscribe to a somewhat affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.  LMG Insurance now offers such a policy for 6.000 THB first year premium in the 51-60 age-bracket.  Obviously the policy is worthless content-wise, but it can be used as an entry-ticket to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for your OA-retirement extension.  At that price it is worth considering as it would avoid having to exit Thailand and start the process to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

No ticket out asked for or required. Be sure to move on the new Non O within ten days or so. Once you have the Non O you are in good shape for your retirement. Welcome Home.

That is incorrect. An onward flight is not asked for by airline staff if they see visa or reentry permit etc. 

If your flying visa exempt it will be asked for. If not asked then it was an oversight.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI Richardlg,

I just PM-ed you the latest update of the Roadmap to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

The process-steps to be taken are still same, but the document now contains much more info on the requirements to be met in each step (as well as caveats).  

Also please note, that since end of February there is now FINALLY the option to subscribe to a somewhat affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.  LMG Insurance now offers such a policy for 6.000 THB first year premium in the 51-60 age-bracket.  Obviously the policy is worthless content-wise, but it can be used as an entry-ticket to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for your OA-retirement extension.  At that price it is worth considering as it would avoid having to exit Thailand and start the process to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

Hi Peter. I PM-ed you too, can you send me the same details you sent to Richardlg ? Thanks.

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI Richardlg,

I appreciate you Richard and Ubonjoe a lot. Thank you. I had an O-A from USA and have great health insurance that does not qualify for the new O-A extension of stay that I have until December 1, 2020. I then closed my 800,000 fixed account thinking I would leave Thailand. I still have 100,000 Bangkok bank account. 
if I decide to stay in Thailand on an O extension after December 2020 can you please advise me of the necessary steps. Do I need to wire 800k from overseas or can I bring cash and convert to Thai baht Deposit into my Bangkok bank account?  I am abandoning my O-A extension after December 1,2020 because I am not maintaining 400,000 in a thai bank account for 12 months in 2020. The money was not the issue it was that I had to buy Thai insurance when I already buy more than adequate health insurance through Cigna but do not have outpatient insurance. 

9 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I appreciate you Richard and Ubonjoe a lot. Thank you. I had an O-A from USA and have great health insurance that does not qualify for the new O-A extension of stay that I have until December 1, 2020. I then closed my 800,000 fixed account thinking I would leave Thailand. I still have 100,000 Bangkok bank account. 
if I decide to stay in Thailand on an O extension after December 2020 can you please advise me of the necessary steps. Do I need to wire 800k from overseas or can I bring cash and convert to Thai baht Deposit into my Bangkok bank account?  I am abandoning my O-A extension after December 1,2020 because I am not maintaining 400,000 in a thai bank account for 12 months in 2020. The money was not the issue it was that I had to buy Thai insurance when I already buy more than adequate health insurance through Cigna but do not have outpatient insurance. 

Hi Wake Up,

Since you did not upkeep the 800K/400K money-in-bank you will not be able to meet the requirements for your OA-retirement extension on December 1, 2020.

And so you will need to exit Thailand before that date and apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa in order to once again be able to remain on long-stay in Thailand.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to do just that.

Note: I don't want to make you anxious, but you should be aware that you are presently already in a non-compliance situation since your present permission to stay is based on the premisse that you maintain the 800K/400K balance on your thai bank-account, which you didn't do.  Chances are slim that you will get in trouble because of that, but technically you are already on 'overstay'.

So if you do not have a Re-Entry permit (which will keep your present permission to stay alive) you might consider to leave Thailand earlier than the Dec 1 date, and already start with the conversion process for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.  This in order to avoid any risk of being caught on technical overstay, because of not complying with the permission to stay requirements. 

Many thanks for posting on this subject.    Many are going through the same process or about to.   The air ticket out of Thailand is valuable information.

I am also in Udon,   and yes, my information from IO UT is that they will convert to non immig O via the correct process.

Peter Denis or Ubon Joe   -   can you please post the "update of the current roadmap" to convert from O-A to non imm O for retirement,

With thanks,   Davut.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:10 AM, DrJack54 said:

however non O-A you can get near 2 years with 800k equiv (in your home country

with non 'O' money has to come into Thailand

This is the only advantage/point of difference of the O-A I think 

15 minutes ago, Dan123 said:

Correct. 

Don't get me wrong. The non O-A was previously an excellent visa. 

In fact as I visit OZ every year I was about to change from non-O extensions to obtaining an O-A when they changed the rules re money in the bank requirements for non-O.

Then at same time introduced rubbish insurance. Many folk have excellent insurance themselves. I believe the USA guys have good options. However Thai made it very different to use your own insurance. The word SCAM best sums it up. 

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, Dan123 said:

I really question your conclusion of "2 years with 800K equiv(in your home country" since the second year on an O-A is automatic, so long as you use it for entry on the second year while the visa is still valid

I can't imagine a scenario with an IO at an entry port going though all the documentation that you provided to obtain the O-A from the Embassy or Consulate in your home country in the first place 

2 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I really question your conclusion of "2 years with 800K equiv(in your home country" since the second year on an O-A is automatic, so long as you use it for entry on the second year while the visa is still valid

I can't imagine a scenario with an IO at an entry port going though all the documentation that you provided to obtain the O-A from the Embassy or Consulate in your home country in the first place 

Don't follow.

All he was saying is that when applying for the non O-A all that is required is that you have 800k in your bank in your own country. That's only required at time of application.

For a non O the money needs to be in Thai bank and maintained in account. 

That's a BIG plus for many. 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:01 AM, Peter Denis said:

HI Richardlg,

Do you know if LMG offers a 61-70 inexpensive plan that meets the insurance requirements for OA visa holders