Thailand road carnage: NINETY reported dead on Monday - year total surpasses 3,000

webfact

16 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

So what is the real number of the total death due to having an accident in Thailand roadways I’d like somebody to publish just one time what the real numbers are TIT

A guesstimate is 50%-100% more than recorded.

So Monday is recorded at 90, you could comfortably add another 50-60 to that number.

Considering some provinces are slow to give numbers and some more will die in hospital over the next few days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

How can you actually learn the rules of the road AND learn to drive a coach AND a truck in 3 days?

My stepson passed these driver's licenses in Nong Han, Udon Thani province a few weeks ago .
He went there 3 days;
classes start at 9 am, end at 4 pm and of course a few breaks including lunch ...

If I ask him how many meters it will take him to stop if he drives 60 km / h on a wet road;
he is unable to give me the right answer.

I asked my ladies father , who had been a full time baht taxi driver ,  what the two continuous  yellow lines  in the centre of the road were ,  he said to help you see the middle of the road at night time ????  

• Haha 1

I certainly do not wish to be light hearted about a very serious problem, but had to pass on my Thai gf comment just now.

So I related this news headline to her. Her reply (only Thai can do) ...." Yes Jack we #2 in world for this, but now songkran cancel so people die little bit"

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Caine said:

Have you ever watch someone take their driving test here in Thailand it's an absolute joke, they don't go near a road. A competent driver of which Thailand has nil would complete the course in 3 minutes. Then they are let loose in their on the knock Chelsea Tractors to maim all and sundry. A friend of mine a full British license holder took his Thai test a few years back, did his reverse parking on the first attempt and received a standing ovation from the examiners they had never seen it happen before. These are the clowns you are dealing with.

That is a lie, my girl friend just completed her driving course and she spent nearly 20hrs on the road and 10hrs studying. I used the same school as her 2 years ago and it was even more professional than when I did it. Do you drive here? Have you ever completed a driving course at a reputable school? Do you have a Thai driving license? 

12 hours ago, genericptr said:

Every day I see people driving on the wrong side of the road going around blind corners. How is this an education issue that governments can fix? I don't believe for a second if I told those people what they're doing is dangerous they would stop. The must be doing a cost/risk analysis and decided it was worth the risk.

It is a mixture of the ones who did their license before the new style of examination and training came into play and just unaccountability because traffic laws, and flouting of them, are not enforced. There is no points base system on your license and there needs to be. I was at the land transport office the other day and enquired about this, apparently this is a year away...which probably means 3 years away! They are trying to make improvements on the roads and in the driving schools but when maybe 70% of the drivers out there never took a theory or even went near a decent driving school, its hard to turn the tide so quickly! ????

Edited by bangkokbonecollector

The police cannot enforce any driving regulation because they dont understand the rules of the road / Highway code, neither does the Insurance man who comes to you on the side of the road when you  are involved in an accident like i was, the thai guy who smashed into the back of my pick up causing 50,000b of damage then said "i no have insurance", and why you stop your truck so quickly  thats why i smash into you , the line of traffic i was in did an emergency stop  except the guy behind me..

3 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

That is a lie, my girl friend just completed her driving course and she spent nearly 20hrs on the road

She spent 0 time "on the road" during the test !  yes maybe 20 hour with the instructor.

Just now, johng said:

She spent 0 time "on the road" during the test !  yes maybe 20 hour with the instructor.

Oh dear oh dear, the reputable schools now examine both practical and theory for the Land and Transport Department and then issue you a certificate to take to the L and T Department where they give you your license straight away. The practical does involve passing the off the road course but it is also an hr drive on the road back and forth to a specific destination which involves all basic driving requirements such as u turns, changing lanes, parking etc etc so no actually you are wrong. I am not saying this is already standardised throughout Thailand but this is the way things are going! ???? 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:23 AM, webfact said:

DPM Prawit Wongsuwan admitted last year

that he bought his luxury watch collection from proceeds of corrupt activities and he did not see why there was such a fuss about 42 people being killed every day this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

no actually you are wrong.

Right  so you are saying that  everyone now has to use a driving school...you can't just go to the DLT

do the theory test then do the off road practical test and receive a licence..maybe never having driven on the real road at all ?

12 hours ago, Caine said:

Have you ever watch someone take their driving test here in Thailand it's an absolute joke, they don't go near a road.

Correct, but most of them have already been driving a couple (or more) years without a license, they just want the DL.

26 minutes ago, johng said:

Right  so you are saying that  everyone now has to use a driving school...you can't just go to the DLT

do the theory test then do the off road practical test and receive a licence..maybe never having driven on the real road at all ?

I said right at the end that this is the way things are going. As I said in another post, you can't change the tide so quickly when 70% of the people on the road haven't been through the new style of testing and driving schools. My girl friends driving instructor said that soon you will only be able to learn and take your tests at designated driving schools ????  no where have a denied the poor levels of driving in any of the posts I have made on this thread. I am not making excuses but I am merely pointing out that things are in the process of being done about it but you just can't change this problem by flicking a switch. 

5 minutes ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I said right at the end that this is the way things are going.

But you said I was wrong...where was I wrong ?  

I'm right  when I said that taking the test at the DLT does not involve driving on the ( real) road.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

But you said I was wrong...where was I wrong ?  

I'm right  when I said that taking the test at the DLT does not involve driving on the ( real) road.

Where did you say taking the test at the DLT ?

"She spent 0 time "on the road" during the test !  yes maybe 20 hour with the instructor."

That's all you said. So yes you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, actonion said:

The police cannot enforce any driving regulation because they dont understand the rules of the road / Highway code, neither does the Insurance man who comes to you on the side of the road when you  are involved in an accident like i was, the thai guy who smashed into the back of my pick up causing 50,000b of damage then said "i no have insurance", and why you stop your truck so quickly  thats why i smash into you , the line of traffic i was in did an emergency stop  except the guy behind me..

Well I had the same situation and Asia Insurance didn't blame me and I got 10k compensation from his insurance and all my repairs were paid for by his insurance company. I only had to pay for half a tire replacement which I found odd but there ya go! I would challenge that. 

Nothing seems to ever change with regards to road safety - a few <deleted> and bluster statements from Uncun Tu and his cronnies, about doing something, but it just doesn't happen. Just driving between my house and work each day - a 15 minute drive, will always see at least 2 acts of out right stupidity from Somchai's.

I was just in Vietnam for two weeks and though online guides talk about how bad driving is there, it is very different and better than Thai driving. Two things: Vietnamese don't really drive too fast, and second, they do leave room for error, neither of which things are typical in Thailand. 

I think the Thai people just think it will never happen to them 

They are very selfish drivers and don't think about other on the road .. until they realise these point the carnage will continue 

As few people have pointed out corona virus has nothing on the deaths occurring on the highways 

17 hours ago, Enzian said:

I was just in Vietnam for two weeks and though online guides talk about how bad driving is there, it is very different and better than Thai driving. Two things: Vietnamese don't really drive too fast, and second, they do leave room for error, neither of which things are typical in Thailand. 

I agree with you. Main difference : speed.

Vietnamese roads are "controled" chaos. Impossible to "speed", like insane Thai drivers do.

Stats : 14 000 deads per year. For a population of 96 millions (!).

"Better" than Thailand, in any case.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:31 PM, BeltAndRoad said:

Not sure why everyone blames the Government for the road toll.  If you want a nanny Government to take care of all your needs and responsibilities then you should stay in your western country.  This is a cultural problem that can be solved with education in the home.  I always make my kids wear seat belts in the car in Thailand, they hate me for it, but stiff.  Though when they grow up and have children in Thailand they will also make their kids wear seat belts.  The problem can be solved at home with education.  Perhaps wealthy car companies could help with more advertising regarding road safety.

You might be stretched a bit thin going to all the Thai homes to educate them. Thai parents don't care enough to teach or discipline their kids in anything (rare exceptions) and when they know very little about correct driving techniques or safety how can they teach them?

On 3/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, Henryford said:

It amuses me to see Thais riding around wearing masks but are happy not to wear helmets. Road accidents kill far more than Corona but no one cares.

Absolutely they have no care about their own dying everyday on the roads they could not give a a rats ass 

10 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

You might be stretched a bit thin going to all the Thai homes to educate them. Thai parents don't care enough to teach or discipline their kids in anything (rare exceptions) and when they know very little about correct driving techniques or safety how can they teach them?

Exactly <deleted> is this loony tune on a about ????????????????????????

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Not so strange, as there is nothing they can do. This should have been tackled decades ago when people began driving in numbers, with proper instruction and a proper driving test. Now the situation is out of control, with few knowing the complexities of driving safely. Add to that the Me First culture and a total inability to see that if you do A then the consequences might be B, and the results are inevitable. Thais will do whatever they want to do, regardless of the consequences to them or anyone else. It's deeply ingrained into the culture and will take generations to remedy, even if there was a will. Which there isn't.

The only way to cure the problem is to take everyone off the road until they pass a western-style test. That isn't going to happen because 1 - it isn't possible 2 - there are few competent instructors 3 - corruption would make the entire exercise pointless. They also need to have police patrolling the roads, which also isn't going to happen. And if they did, back to point 3 above. Meanwhile, people can drive however dangerously they like with total impunity. Until they are injured or die and/or injure or kill others.

Grim, isn't it.

Not to mention it is your fault for being here!

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, christophe75 said:

I agree with you. Main difference : speed.

Vietnamese roads are "controled" chaos. Impossible to "speed", like insane Thai drivers do.

Stats : 14 000 deads per year. For a population of 96 millions (!).

"Better" than Thailand, in any case.

In Vietnam the speed is limited to 60 km / h;
the cops are much less corruptible than in Thailand;
it certainly explains a lot
And then the fine for not wearing a helmet is important; very rare are the vietnamese who do not wear it.