What do people know about quarantine here, and how bad could it get?

*****************Coronavirus Can Live in Patients for Five Weeks After Contagion***************************************

Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/coronavirus-can-live-in-patients-for-five-weeks-after-contagion

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

*****************Coronavirus Can Live in Patients for Five Weeks After Contagion***************************************

Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/coronavirus-can-live-in-patients-for-five-weeks-after-contagion

This paper from the worlds leading expert on SARS and MERS says the complete opposite.

Yes, u can measure corona still after weeks, but these viruses are dead and cannot infect someone else. The same goes for stool - u can measure it's in there but the virus is dead at that point. 

Bloomberg = mostly <deleted>.

• Like 2

should doctors and virologists from all over the world be studying Thai blood?

why are Thai hospitals not overwhelmed with sick people like the rest of the world?

there is no way the government could keep that under wraps with social media going full blast.

Thanks for all of the replies. 

There are two major issues at stake here, in regard to being able to get back into Thailand. One is Corona. Two is the handling of Corona. Many other countries like China, South Korea, have done a good job with containment, and especially with regard to testing. South Korea developed their own test kit in 21 days! In the US, this has been severely bungled from the beginning. First, the administration turned down the emergency funding request from congress, back in early February, saying it was not necessary. Then Trump repeatedly downplayed this, comparing it to the common flu. His repeated denials caused a massive crisis in confidence, that triggered a massive sell off. Had he been smart, and truthful from the beginning, the sell off would have been milder, and $6 trillion dollars would not have been erased from the markets and people's savings. In addition, the US is badly bungling the test kits.

I was scheduled to fly back to the US in a weeks time, and was going to return here late April. The US state department is stating that Thailand will require a letter from a US doctor or hospital, stating you have been given a Corona test, been determined to be negative for the virus, and have a generally good bill of health, if the US is elevated to the next level, which it is CERTAIN to be, within a week or two. He told me even though he works at Cedars in LA, one of the top hospitals in the state, they do not have one test kit. They have been requesting them for weeks, and cannot get them. In addition, he said no doctor will write that letter, since they cannot determine if you are in the incubation period, even if you test negative. So, I cancelled my trip. What is the point of risking a mandatory hospital quarantine, if this thing explodes in the US? In addition, the State Dept. website said that Thailand may require you to provide proof of health insurance, at a minimum of $100,000. Does not apply to marriage visas, according to immigration. I called them. 

So, again the administration is lying. The test kits may be going out, but nobody knows where they are going, and they do not seem to be going to the major hospitals where they are most needed. Lying Pence, and Lying Trump. Causing a massive public health hazard daily. Cases increased in the US by 450 in the past 30 hours, and 41 deaths to date. Total cases now at 1,762 and climbing. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 8:19 AM, Yinn said:

Good morning FFF.

Not stop test in February.

Have more confirm since then.

i say one month ago Thai people have strong immunity systems. Is true. But everyone mock me, so I not repeat (now repeat). Boring to argue.

When foreigner come thailand many sick easily, direa, stomach pain etc. Snowflake. Thai is very strong. Not need aircon, hot shower etc. 

And hot weather help. Very hot now. It 40. 

Some TVF member say 6 week ago, so many Thai will die etc. Panic

But it NOT happen. Yinn correct. Again. 

The number thai have corona is more than government number. Sure. Every country the same. Sure.

But thai people NOT die same the TVF snowball say will happen. (Read the thread 6 weeks ago, gee)

The government can not hide dead people, can not control the family of dead people, can not control the doctor, can not control social media. If many die, Yinn will know. Sure. 

The thai guy die very weak, because dengue.

i understand most TVF is elderly foreigner. (Over 60) Many bad health. Many fat. Many smoke. 

So = should be careful. I understand why worry.

But some member is crazy about this corona. One member make 16 thread already. 1000 corona post. For what? Panic.

Foreigner die in Thailand because coronavirus = 0. Is true fact.

More die drown, road crash. Is true fact. 

I not like the government. But TVF say the government hide dead people. Is wrong.

The BIG story in Thailand now is Boy and “officials” force the mask factory give them the mask= hospital not get mask= and Boy can sell for big profit. Make Yinn angry. So angry this story. 

The Facebook page who show this problem 6 days ago, yesterday Prayuts team go there to try make them stop. Because “over information” 

Thai people not strong, wind change direction - sick / too hot - sick / too cold - sick / too much rain - sick / not enough rain -sick.

On 3/12/2020 at 1:28 PM, Isaanbiker said:

While I believe that the numbers coming from Europe are for real, the ones from Thailand can't be true. 

It's a fact that Asian people are easier targets for the virus. If that's true, there must be a massive number of infected people in LOS.

It's a fact, but it may not be true?

Comedy gold.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you have the figures great, how many tested so far?

I would imagine all the PUI's which would be around 2000. Pointless testing everybody, you could walk out of test place and get it on the way out as somebody else came in.

High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of COVID-19

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

Posted: 10 Mar 2020

"This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

I would imagine all the PUI's which would be around 2000. Pointless testing everybody, you could walk out of test place and get it on the way out as somebody else came in.

I don't think anyone is suggesting everybody should be tested

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

Posted: 10 Mar 2020

"This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19"

Bring on the rainy season. We're saved!

why don't we have a misc virus information topic open?

instead of all these news topics?

one place for all the new information. new everything is all over the place. 

i would start it but it would just get locked. 

BREAKING: Los Angeles county in California announces the closure of all schools; this is the the 2nd largest school district in the U.S. after NYC

BREAKING: Italy reports 250 new deaths and 2,547 new cases, raising total to 1,266 dead and 17,660 cases

Edited by NCC1701A

China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Italy & Iran <— difficult to enter Thailand Countries with ongoing local transmission: France, Spain, US, Switzerland, Norway, Japan (certain cities), Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, UK & Germany <— you may have to do 14 day quarantine

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1238526668538630145

Edited by NCC1701A

The “countries with ongoing local transmission” list for #Thailand has been updated to include America, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden & Great Britain. Taiwan & Singapore have been removed. People coming from these countries may have to do 14-day quarantine.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1238493024407236608

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Countries with ongoing local transmission: France, Spain, US, Switzerland, Norway, Japan (certain cities), Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, UK & Germany <— you may have to do 14 day quarantine

The information supplied by the Thai MOPH regarding Ongoing Local Transmission is, as usual, as clear as mud. My interpretation of the latest measures is that a period of self quarantine will only be required if a traveller arrives with a fever or respiratory symptoms.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

States firstly:

• For traveler arriving from an area with ongoing local transmission as announced by the MOPH, they have to be under observation (meaning supervision without quarantine) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion. The aforementioned traveler must record his/her own symptoms in the reporting system and monitor his/her symptoms strictly required by the MOPH. The travelers from areas with ongoing local transmission must notify the disease control officer about the places they visit so that a surveillance officer can closely monitor their movement and contacts.

But, if you click on the flashing 'New' on that page you get this:

Q&A Regarding the Measures for Travelers

Q:Will all travelers who present with a fever and respiratory symptoms be transported to a medical facility, regardless of the country from which they are arriving?

A:If a traveler presents fever and respiratory symptoms with one of the following risks within 14 days prior to illness onset: 1) Arrived from or resided in an affected area with from COVID-19 (the list of countries as affected areas is announced on the website of the Department of Disease Control (DDC)), 2) Are residents of the same household with travelers from areas where COVID-19 outbreaks were reported,3) Worked closely with tourists from areas with ongoing outbreaks of COVID-19,4) Had close contact with probable orconfirmed cases of COVID-19,and 5) Healthcare workers who had contact with people who met the case definition for patients under investigation (PUIs) of COVID-19, then they will be transported to a medical facility. The risks include both factors of travel history from the affected countries and contact history.If a traveler is suspected for PUI, then public health officers will follow the strict guidelines of the law to bring travelers that fall under the criteria to a medical facility specified by the MOPH so that the aforementioned traveler can be tested, treated, clinically diagnosed, isolated, or quarantined on a case by case basis

As with so many things in Thailand, why they don't get a native English speaker to translate their documents is beyond me.

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Meanwhile in Norway now 1000 corona cases. 
The cold climate are not helping, that's for sure.  

The US has now been added to the top list, which is reasonable, since they have had 900 new cases in the past 48 hours, and are up to 60 fatalities. With no test kits in sight. Since the letter that Thailand requires means getting an actual Coronavirus test result, it is unlikely that they would accept any old letter. And these letters are impossible to get in the US. So nobody can come here from the US now, without a great risk of mandatory quarantine. I think the days of "self quarantine" may be winding down.