What do people know about quarantine here, and how bad could it get?

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry spidermike but there is just nowhere to put this and they will not let me open new virus topics.

Travelers your policy may be voided due to pandemic being declared.

Most definitely. NCC. did you say you were feeling unwell the other day? How are you holding up now?

• Thanks 1

Things are changing too fast to travel now.

I just spoke to a friend of mine in NYC (Manhattan), he said don't even think about coming because of the dire situation they will likely face VERY soon.  

He has a masters degree in mathematics from an Ivy league and he said the infection compounding effect is off the charts...

Stay put where you are and practice social distancing if possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Breaking news:  #COVID19 can be characterized as a pandemic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51839944

"WHO has been assessing this outbreak around the clock and we are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity, and by the alarming levels of inaction"-

#COVID19

BREAKING

????
"We have therefore made the assessment that #COVID19 can be characterized as a pandemic"- #coronavirus

New info from US Dept. of State as of today. My question is: is the $100,000 insurance they speak of something additional to the policies already required for retirement visas, or the same? And what is this health certificate they refer to? From a private clinic in the US, or a hospital? And what would be the cost of a Corona test, for someone without health insurance? $500? $1,000? Or more? We are talking about US health care. The most expensive in the world. And what about the health certificate? What would that cost? 

I assume with another nearly 300 cases overnight and 7 additional deaths, the US will be added to the quarantine list in Thailand shortly. 

UPDATE Effective 3/12/2020: The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) in coordination with the Ministry of Public Health announced additional restrictions for travelers from China, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, and Iran.  Travelers from these areas must present a health certificate to their airline at the time of check-in prior to boarding their flight to Thailand to confirm non-infected status (i.e. a COVID-19 lab test performed within 48 hours before flight).  Additionally, all passengers must show proof of health insurance. The health insurance policy must have coverage of at least $100,000 or equivalent.  Absent the health certificate and proof of health insurance, the traveler will be denied boarding.  Upon arrival, all passengers will go through a thermal scanner and then must proceed to Health Control.  At Health Control, authorities will measure passenger temperature and ask the passenger questions based on their T-8 questionnaire (eg. travel history, health concerns, etc.)  The whole process should take approximately 5 minutes.  After Health Control, passengers will proceed to Immigration and face either: a 14-day self-quarantine at hotel/home for passengers with no symptoms or a mandatory quarantine at a designated hospital for passengers with symptoms.  In addition, upon arrival in Thailand the traveler will be given a “T-8 questionnaire” which they must fill out.  The document requires personal information and information on the traveler’s location during their stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.

Edited by spidermike007

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thailand start test in January.

Start test in January and stop test in Febuary when Thailand was number one outside China now Thailnd is number 37 outside of China.Thailand is the only country outside of China to stop the spread of CIVID19.Why doesn't Thailand help the world stop the spread by telling them their secret to stop the spread of the virus?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

30 deaths in a very short period, and 1,009 cases to date and they have barely started testing, due to the lack of test kits.

I think the problem you face is that the number in the US will multiply many times between now and when you plan to return to Thailand. Italy has currently around 12,000 cases. The USA will likely have more than that in 30 days time (if we use what is happening elsewhere as a rough guide). Just what the Thais will make of that and what restrictions / measures they may put in place no-one can say. For sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted on anyone entering hold a visa with a mandatory requirement of being corona-virus free 24 / 48 hours before flying....and getting such a certificate could be very difficult.

This whole situation is moving so fast it's impossible to say what might happen. Can but wish you luck!

16 hours ago, chaiyaphumcharlie said:

Stay put would be my advice

not to mention the plane ride itself... on those long flights back to USA in good times, I always seemed to get off feeling a bit head cold woozy... it would pass in a day... but now, I think you are more likely to catch the virus on an extended plane flight... 

I agree.. stay put is best if possible.

• Haha 1

short term: USA is 3 weeks behind Italy, and the severity will most likely surpass what Italy is enduring for a variety of reasons.

long term: Serious economic consequences, this could be the pin the pops the credit bubble, potential challenge to petrodollar and USD as reserve currency.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

Same situation, were planning to come to our Thai home April as we do every year.  We have suspended plans and are keeping an eye on the situation. 

We are in Florida right now, 20 min north of Daytona. Bike week is going on right now. Daytona is a zoo with bikers from all parts of the country partying , having fun and spreading whatever germs they brought from home states. IMO it is crazy. I think things will get a lot worst in the US before they get better. 

Personally, I think Thailand is safer, but I am concerned about getting stuck there and not being able to return in a timely fashion if I needed to. (my Daughter and other family are in the US,and if things got serious I want to be with my daughter,and sister)  

The current outbreaks across FL are interesting in that it's the hottest/most humid state and is similar to Thailand.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

The Facebook page who show this problem 6 days ago, yesterday Prayuts team go there to try make them stop. Because “over information” 

Morning Yinn.

Yes I agree it's not the virus that's the problem it's the information overload and people's demand for more infomation that's causing the most distress.Before the smart phone and ipad nobody cared too much about these things.Better to not care and turn off the internet and feel much better and enjoy a carefree life like before.My father used to sing a song with this verse,

"It takes a worried man to sing a worried song

I'm worried now but I won't be worried long"

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, tlandtday said:

What are you smoking?  Half a million chinese vistors to thailand and a lot still here.  You are buying the govt propaganda lol.  And how many test kits do you think Thailand has?  Not many because they haven't been aggressively testing.

Also 3 months in and nobody dropping in the streets no mass sickness personal accounts on FB, Etc etc!! Oh but wait do you think their immune system is kicking in and they could be getting better themselves. Now there's a thought!! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

My father used to sing a song with this verse,

"It takes a worried man to sing a worried song

I'm worried now but I won't be worried long"

Lonnie Donnegan.

I prefer this version which should be the Scottish national anthem.

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think the problem you face is that the number in the US will multiply many times between now and when you plan to return to Thailand. Italy has currently around 12,000 cases. The USA will likely have more than that in 30 days time (if we use what is happening elsewhere as a rough guide). Just what the Thais will make of that and what restrictions / measures they may put in place no-one can say. For sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they insisted on anyone entering hold a visa with a mandatory requirement of being corona-virus free 24 / 48 hours before flying....and getting such a certificate could be very difficult.

This whole situation is moving so fast it's impossible to say what might happen. Can but wish you luck!

I do agree with you. As of today, we are looking at 335 new cases in the past 24 hours, and eight more deaths in the US. And testing has barely begun. One site I found suggested that a total of 9,000 tests have been performed by hospitals, clinics, and the CDC combined, to date. South Korea is testing well over 10,000 people a day and have been for quite some time. The reality is that the administration as way, way behind the curve, totally unprepared, and led by a guy who is far more concerned about perception and votes, than he is the welfare and safety of his people. That makes him a very dangerous man, as I have long said. 

So, by the time I am ready to return in late April, it is likely that the US will be looking at well over 10,000 cases, and will be elevated to one of the five or six most dangerous countries in the world. As of right now, my likelihood of taking the trip has gone from 75% yesterday, to 40% today. 

I just talked to immigration. They stated that since I have a multiple entry marriage visa, they would not require, nor ask for health insurance. However, will the airline in the US be aware of that? And what about the health letter? And the possibility of mandatory quarantine in a hospital for 14 days. Seems to be looking grimmer each day.

And now of all people, Tom Hanks and his wife are positive for the virus! He is one of the good guys. Why don't the guys who really deserve it, get it?

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

@spidermike007 The cost for the coronavirus test in the US has been reported to be $3500. There is some states that have plan to test for free but they probably won't test unless you show symptoms. 

Wow. I am not surprised. But, that is a staggering figure. Especially if Thailand requires a health letter, stating that you are Corona free, which would require a test. If the US gets elevated to the top level, which it positively will, that will be required, as it is now a requirement for China, Japan, South Korea, Iran and Italy. 

So typical of American health care, and this administration. They should have created protocols that allowed this test to be done for $50. Any decent government would do that. But, only if they cared about their people. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

The current outbreaks across FL are interesting in that it's the hottest/most humid state and is similar to Thailand.

The outbreak across Florida is 29 cases so far. Look at the go-to world map:  https://www.arcgis.com/

The majority of Florida cases had and international travel history. Two of the cases are out-of-state people. Additionally, several members of a cruise ship passenger greeting staff tested positive for COVID-19.

The jury is out on heat and humidity slowing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Tropical weather probably slows it down, but of course high population density and social contact speeds it up.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. I am not surprised. But, that is a staggering figure. Especially if Thailand requires a health letter, stating that you are Corona free, which would require a test. If the US gets elevated to the top level, which it positively will, that will be required, as it is now a requirement for China, Japan, South Korea, Iran and Italy. 

So typical of American health care, and this administration. They should have created protocols that allowed this test to be done for $50. Any decent government would do that. But, only if they cared about their people. 

The price depends on the state and the situation is changing quickly. In another thread they claim it's now as low as $150-250.

3 minutes ago, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

The outbreak across Florida is 29 cases so far. Look at the go-to world map:  https://www.arcgis.com/

The majority of Florida cases had and international travel history. Two of the cases are out-of-state people. Additionally, several members of a cruise ship passenger greeting staff tested positive for COVID-19.

The jury is out on heat and humidity slowing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Tropical weather probably slows it down, but of course high population density and social contact speeds it up.

Mid March is still very mild weather throughout Florida. Even in the south. In Miami this week the highs are forecast to be in the high 70's. They say it thrives in temps under 75 or so. Not hot enough yet. I do believe that is one reason Thailand has fared well. At least the heat here is good for something!

• Like 1

LOLOL

People on here canNOT read Thai, so don't say people aren't gossiping about things on Facebook.  

Every single Thai person I talk to asks me, "Are you afraid of Corona, because............"

You idiots want to stay or visit, so you create whatever story you want.  Try googling in Thai.  Oh, you can't.  Oh.  Oh....

I'm not worried because I'm relatively young and fit.  If i get it, I'm not going to die.  Famous last words.  lol

• Sad 1

The US is suspending travel from much of Europe to the United States for at least 30 days in an effort to stop new clusters of the novel coronavirus from sprouting across the country.

President Donald Trump announced the new sweeping travel restrictions during an address Wednesday night from the Oval Office. The rules go into effect at 11:59 p.m. Friday, according to a White House spokesperson.

"To keep new cases from entering our shores, we will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days," Trump said.

Trump's announcement prompted questions Wednesday night, and administration officials later clarified the travel restrictions would only apply to foreign nationals who had been present in 26 European countries during the two weeks prior to their arrival to the US. The restrictions will not apply to US citizens, legal permanent residents, and their families members — and in spite of what Trump said during his address — trade and cargo will also not be affected.