What do people know about quarantine here, and how bad could it get?

In South Korea, testing for COVID-19 is FREE: "officials have set up drive-thru style facilities that test people so they do not have to leave their cars. At drive-thru coronavirus clinics in Goyang, medical staff in protective clothing and goggles lean into driver's cars through their windows to check for fever or breathing difficulties, Reuters reports. They also use swabs to take samples from their throats and noses."

Result: COVID-19 death rate in South Korea is about .7%, just slightly higher than people dying from flu in the flu season.

United States is sucking badly on many levels. I regularly thank Buddha for retirement life in Thailand.

Edited by SometimezaGreatNotion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump's announcement prompted questions Wednesday night, and administration officials later clarified the travel restrictions would...

lol -- virtually everything Trump says (usually ignorant falsehoods, outright lies, or diplomatic gaffes), has to be clarified later by his baby-minder staff.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How do you work that out with the lame testing in Thailand?

I would have far more confidence with the testing here than in the US. In general I prefer the entire Thai medical system over the US system, which is highly over rated, and stupid expensive. Unless we are dealing with something highly specialized, I would rather be in the hands of a Thai doctor, than an American doctor. Same applies to the (private) hospitals. Thailand is infinitely safer than the US, right now, in terms of Corona. They are on the verge of a major epidemic there. Here? Who knows exactly, but I do not think this administration or the army has the skill, power, or ability to suppress the news of a real outbreak. 

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Thailand is one of the safest places around, compared to the incredibly lame USA."

How do you work that out with the lame testing in Thailand?

No matter how much incompetence and lying, one has to admit that with hundreds of thousands of Chinese trapesing through Thailand at the height of the COVID-19 explosion in China, it's pretty amazing not to see hundreds of deaths in a country that has such poor health care and so many drunkard cig-smoking males.

The serious cases of COVID-19 require intensive medical oxygen devices and intensive treatment of pneumonia infections. The average Thai will not have access to that.

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

You are buying the TVF propaganda. One die in thailand. 

The government are not hide the dead people and kidnap the familys.

Thailand the FIRST country to find the positive test coronavirus (not at China)

It already in Europe, the USA then, but they not test. 

Thailand start test in January.

Thailand is testing who Yinn.  if they were then those stats would be listed as number tested and UI.......time to think outside of the box, and look at this globally.  Many travelers returning from Thailand to Europe are saying they picked the virus up here, that is now why the airports are also screening departing passengers........

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. I am not surprised. But, that is a staggering figure. Especially if Thailand requires a health letter, stating that you are Corona free, which would require a test. If the US gets elevated to the top level, which it positively will, that will be required, as it is now a requirement for China, Japan, South Korea, Iran and Italy. 

So typical of American health care, and this administration. They should have created protocols that allowed this test to be done for $50. Any decent government would do that. But, only if they cared about their people. 

Failure on multiple levels.... Teacher in new york with CV symptoms was denied a CV test due to ridiculous testing standards ... but was still charged $10,000.

I really hope we americans get a real, non-predatory, healthcare system after all this is over.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyu-langone-er-charged-teacher-coronavirus-symptoms-10000-medical-bill-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Edited by unsubscribe
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

If you arrive at the airport in #Thailand as a tourist or as someone just in transit, and you have a fever, you will be taken to a hospital for further testing and mandatory quarantine. If you pass the medical check at the airport, you can of course leave the country at any time.

Serious question - when did that testing start?  I arrived from the UK on 1 March and was not subjected to any tests whatsoever. I then went to Vietnam on 2 March and arrived back in Thailand on 4 March - again no tests. One, in around 40 people in front of me arriving at Don Mueang had a temperature check.

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Thai Immigration has announced that all foreigners must now specify all the countries they have recently visited to filter out potential spread of #COVID19.

On departure to Vietnam and again on leaving Vietnam, I was asked if I'd travelled to Italy or China. I replied that I hadn't but my passport wasn't checked - I could easily have lied.

The only country (on my travels) that has had any serious testing was arriving in Abu Dhabi on 11 March when medical staff checked the temperature of everyone on the flight before we were allowed to leave ther plane.

I've read many announcements regarding checks and tests in Thailand but I've seen nothing of them - seems like the usual BS to me.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, spidermike007 said:
I am wondering, if in a month's time, if that will be on the compulsory list too?...........that is a huge concern of mine, at the moment. Any help or opinions are invited. 

Clairvoyance - the gift we all desire 

Pretty simple solution, just don't travel back to U.S.

Presto, your huge concerns have now vanished! 

Only guarantee at the moment, in my opinion

Peace and happiness

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

You are buying the TVF propaganda. One die in thailand. 

The government are not hide the dead people and kidnap the familys.

Thailand the FIRST country to find the positive test coronavirus (not at China)

It already in Europe, the USA then, but they not test. 

Thailand start test in January.

Really? Thailand started testing in January, and other countries are too incompetent when it comes to real numbers of infections and deaths?

As far as I remember did the virus start in Wuhan/China at a time when the Chinese government did not mention the outbreak of an infection.

At the same time, hundreds of thousands of Chinese travelers left their country; many of them arrived in Thailand. 

While I believe that the numbers coming from Europe are for real, the ones from Thailand can't be true. 

It's a fact that Asian people are easier targets for the virus. If that's true, there must be a massive number of infected people in LOS.

I can't entirely agree with Thailand to make it look like the virus originated in a Western country, the truth is that it came from Wuhan, a city with 11 million citizens.

I'm from Germany, and I believe that the doctors and hospitals there are much better prepared for an outbreak of a virus, even for a pandemic one.

If you read a few articles, it's almost impossible that the virus spread to Europe and the US, but left Thailand alone.

Many things in Thailand are covered up, and that includes all the deaths after an accident, people who die on the way, or at the hospital.

Why do you expect to see real numbers when they don't know the number of infected people? 

Here's an example of some "freelancers" where a party with a Hong Kong citizen spread the virus to many Thais.

These people have contact with other people, and that's how such a virus spreads.

How many freelancers had sex with Chinese men/women who then got infected with the virus?

Are there any severe studies about prostitutes and their percentage of infection? I doubt it. 

In a country that's so well known for prostitution, but they released news that prostitution wouldn't exist in Pattaya, it's very questionable that you'd hear exact numbers.

The virus has now spread over 110 countries, and there's no end.

Let's use common sense and not buy all news from a government that's well known for their sagas.

The First "Cluster" Case: https://www.thailandmedical.news/articles/coronavirus

4 hours ago, Tayaout said:

@spidermike007 The cost for the coronavirus test in the US has been reported to be $3500. There is some states that have plan to test for free but they probably won't test unless you show symptoms. 

Typical American Corporate medical greed. The test is only about $400 in Australia. Not that anyone has to pay for pathology here. 

19 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Serious question - when did that testing start?

that was breaking news at the time i posted it. so maybe 24 hours now. The situation is changing very fast. Global pandemic now.

Edited by NCC1701A

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand is testing who Yinn.  if they were then those stats would be listed as number tested and UI.......time to think outside of the box, and look at this globally.  Many travelers returning from Thailand to Europe are saying they picked the virus up here, that is now why the airports are also screening departing passengers........

11 new case today.

if not test, how they know?

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

11 new case today.

if not test, how they know?

proably depends oupon where in the Departures Chain, that the Testing ocuurs? Is it Before CheckIn/ Before IO/ after IO?  

if 'after' then any detections would not be counted as In LOS - but in International 'Waters' (in flight)

'out of sight out of mind' Image result for blinker horse smile 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I would rather be in the hands of a Thai doctor, than an American doctor. Same applies to the (private) hospitals. Thailand is infinitely safer than the US, right now, in terms of Corona. They

Spot on.

Florida and other Trump Sucker States© in the South actually have laws that prohibit employers from paying medical leave to their minimum wage slaves, I mean workers.????????????????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Bwahahahahahaha. ????

[CITATION NEEDED]

It's a rumour started from a non peer reviewed research paper with a very small sample size. In this study the Asian guy had the most ACE2 receptors which the virus use to enter the body. Smoking also increase the number of ACE2 receptors. 

"We also noticed that the only Asian donor (male) has a much higher ACE2-expressing cell ratio than white and African American donors (2.50% vs. 0.47% of all cells). This might explain the observation that the new Coronavirus pandemic and previous SARS-Cov pandemic are concentrated in the Asian area"

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:
18 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's a fact that Asian people are easier targets for the virus

Bwahahahahahaha. ????

suggesting potential victims are at the mercy of the 'truthfulness' of those around them 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

that was breaking news at the time i posted it. so maybe 24 hours now. The situation is changing very fast. Global pandemic now.

Yeah well, forgive me but I've seen similar announcements several times - like any other Thai announcement, I'll believe it when I see it.

No more inter province vans.

Nobody allowed to travel in the back of pick up trucks.

Points on driving licences to begin December 2019.

All the above were supposed to address serious issues and none have been introduced.

46 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Clairvoyance - the gift we all desire 

Pretty simple solution, just don't travel back to U.S.

Presto, your huge concerns have now vanished! 

Only guarantee at the moment, in my opinion

Peace and happiness

Yeah, if only it were that simple. I have business interests back there, and if I were able to just say it does not matter right now, I would. I am looking into getting a health letter (with a negative corona test result, and a clean bill of health), from a friend of mine, who is a pulmonologist at a major hospital in LA. If I had that, I would be quite confident about avoiding quarantine upon my return, no matter how bad things got in the US. I am not concerned about the possibility of infection in the US. I am healthy, strong, no lung or heart issues, and would exercise extreme caution. 

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would have far more confidence with the testing here than in the US. In general I prefer the entire Thai medical system over the US system, which is highly over rated, and stupid expensive. Unless we are dealing with something highly specialized, I would rather be in the hands of a Thai doctor, than an American doctor. Same applies to the (private) hospitals. Thailand is infinitely safer than the US, right now, in terms of Corona. They are on the verge of a major epidemic there. Here? Who knows exactly, but I do not think this administration or the army has the skill, power, or ability to suppress the news of a real outbreak. 

I don't think anywhere is safe if an epidemic, just not enough ventilators to go around

4 hours ago, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

In South Korea, testing for COVID-19 is FREE: "officials have set up drive-thru style facilities that test people so they do not have to leave their cars. At drive-thru coronavirus clinics in Goyang, medical staff in protective clothing and goggles lean into driver's cars through their windows to check for fever or breathing difficulties, Reuters reports. They also use swabs to take samples from their throats and noses."

Same in the UK for a while, that's the way to test. I've asked a couple of local people here they just say go to hospital, no specifics and going to GP or hospital is the last place to go initially in UK

Edited by scubascuba3

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Really? Thailand started testing in January, and other countries are too incompetent when it comes to real numbers of infections and deaths?

As far as I remember did the virus start in Wuhan/China at a time when the Chinese government did not mention the outbreak of an infection.

At the same time, hundreds of thousands of Chinese travelers left their country; many of them arrived in Thailand. 

While I believe that the numbers coming from Europe are for real, the ones from Thailand can't be true. 

It's a fact that Asian people are easier targets for the virus. If that's true, there must be a massive number of infected people in LOS.

I can't entirely agree with Thailand to make it look like the virus originated in a Western country, the truth is that it came from Wuhan, a city with 11 million citizens.

I'm from Germany, and I believe that the doctors and hospitals there are much better prepared for an outbreak of a virus, even for a pandemic one.

If you read a few articles, it's almost impossible that the virus spread to Europe and the US, but left Thailand alone.

Many things in Thailand are covered up, and that includes all the deaths after an accident, people who die on the way, or at the hospital.

Why do you expect to see real numbers when they don't know the number of infected people? 

Here's an example of some "freelancers" where a party with a Hong Kong citizen spread the virus to many Thais.

These people have contact with other people, and that's how such a virus spreads.

How many freelancers had sex with Chinese men/women who then got infected with the virus?

Are there any severe studies about prostitutes and their percentage of infection? I doubt it. 

In a country that's so well known for prostitution, but they released news that prostitution wouldn't exist in Pattaya, it's very questionable that you'd hear exact numbers.

The virus has now spread over 110 countries, and there's no end.

Let's use common sense and not buy all news from a government that's well known for their sagas.

The First "Cluster" Case: https://www.thailandmedical.news/articles/coronavirus

Thais seem to believe the heat is killing the virus so aren't too worried, but Iran is fairly hot around 28 degrees i think

I just read on Twitter that the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) veterans are being activated in the USA. This is a call up of retired and reserve military personnel. 

"The Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) is a category of the Ready Reserve of the Reserve Component of the Armed Forces of the United States composed of former active duty or reserve military personnel and is authorized under 10 U.S.C. § 1005. For soldiers in the National Guard of the United States, its counterpart is the Inactive National Guard (ING). As of 22 June 2004, the IRR had approximately 112,000 members (does not include all service IRR populations) composed of enlisted personnel and officers, with more than 200 Military Occupational Specialties are represented, including combat arms, combat support, and combat service support."

• Thanks 1