Bag/Passport robbed. New ED Visa gone. Need to pay for a new one?

So my bag was robbed with my passport in it. I'm arranging a new passport. The problem is, I had a new ED visa, which cost 34,000 baht. My school now wants me to pay 17,000 to replace it.

Has this happened to anyone else here? Is this normal?

I don't know if you had access to a computer and/or a scanner but you may consider next time to scan and save all your vital documents, just in case it ever happens again.

If you don't have access there are plenty of photo/printer shops around who could do it for you. Perhaps investing in a thumb drive might be an idea as well but keep it somewhere safe.

I lost my wallet with stuff like that a few years ago but my passport was safe and I printed off the debit cards and driving licences which made the police report (20฿) easy and the replacement documents easy to replace.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't know if you had access to a computer and/or a scanner but you may consider next time to scan and save all your vital documents, just in case it ever happens again.

If you don't have access there are plenty of photo/printer shops around who could do it for you. Perhaps investing in a thumb drive might be an idea as well but keep it somewhere safe.

I lost my wallet with stuff like that a few years ago but my passport was safe and I printed off the debit cards and driving licences which made the police report (20฿) easy and the replacement documents easy to replace.

Why would you need a computer andand a scanner if you have a phone with a camera?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have copies of my passport, just not the visa. But I don't think a picture of the visa would have helped.

46 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Why would you need a computer andand a scanner if you have a phone with a camera?

It is the way I have been doing it for years, and for me it is easy and convenient plus I can scan and print the document full size.

From what I remember from the last time all the Thai places I had to go to needed a printed copy for their files.