Dave Bautista: ‘Fame is overwhelming – sometimes I want to crawl under a rock and hide’

snoop1130

Dave Bautista: ‘Fame is overwhelming – sometimes I want to crawl under a rock and hide’

By Adam White

shutterstock-editorial-5300604e.jpg

‘'If I hadn’t lived through that rough life, that hard life, maybe I wouldn’t be the performer that I am?’ ( Action Press/Shutterstock )

When he became a movie star in his early forties, after years of professional wrestling in the WWE, Dave Bautista was suddenly racked with insecurity.

“I was trying everything and anything to fit in,” he says. “I didn’t know if I should lose weight to stop looking the way I do, or not be who I am. Even when I was out in public, I didn’t know if I had to portray myself a certain way or dress a certain way. I was lost.”

Standing at 6ft 6 and built like a Kodiak bear, Bautista, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, is the softest, most sensitive person who could conceivably destroy every bone in your body.

His voice has a gruff if timid baritone, and is so faint that it’s sometimes indecipherable. 

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/dave-bautista-interview-my-spy-dune-james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trump-a9387611.html

I get where he is coming from. I think fame would be one of the worst curses possible. Sure, there are some benefits. But, wealth without any fame would be far preferable. I would find the lack of anonymity to be crushing and very disturbing.

I was on Sukhumvit not long ago. Was walking across the bridge. There was a huge commotion down below, with hundreds of people gathered near the street. I assumed a terrible accident. It was a Thai TV star, who had stopped and rolled down the window of his car, to greet some fans. As I walked in the direction I was going, he drove away. Some of the fans walked by me. Some were sobbing uncontrollably. Many were hysterical. What can one even say? For a Thai soap actor. Wow. 

• Like 1