Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude Im in Cambodia with Third World Medical facilities, no widespread testing and last night I was out in the fleshpots amusing myself with nubile backpackers. I bet I catch the clap before I get the virus.

But I wash my hands. I just Lysoled all of my counters and the elevator and light switches. I carry hand sanitzer and keep social distance. Ill take my chances so as not to lose a precious day of life due to media/political driven panic. I didnt panic for the far more deadly (and more poorly handled) H1N epidemic, I didnt panic during last hurricane season, I dont run around like a headless chicken when the earth shakes (my biggest I think was 7, how about yours), blizzards dont bother me, Im not going to let anyhting spoil my day. 

And if I start sniffling, Ill stay home and eat cup noodles. Until then, wash those hands.

So your in a country that makes no effort to stop the virus, and the life expectancy is 64, so people don't live long enough to worry about the virus.  In the first world people and governments are trying to stop it.

BTW, I was in Cambodia 20 years ago and 10 years ago.  They paved some roads but managed to become more corrupt and trashed out in the years between.  I haven't gone back; I understand it is now full of Chinese when it isn't full of Russians.  I'm glad I was there when it was full of Cambodians.

My biggest earthquake was Northridge.  It's hardly relevant.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

President Trump is so bad...he addressed the nation today and the Dow went up 2,000 points.

Such a terrible president ????

Interesting.   The Dow is down over 6000 points this month, but it was down 8000 yesterday.

Does that mean Trump is only 3/4's bad?

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And I know a guy who claims he has a sure cure for a headache: just stop banging your head against the wall.

If Trump had been reasonably proactive, instead of downplaying the problem for so long, we wouldn't have had to go through this degree of financial turmoil in the first place.

Exactly but you'll never get 45 cult of personality followers to admit that. However, also things have been very bubbly for a long time. A major correction, a recession (we're already in one in the U.S.), and indeed a shift to a bear market were going to eventually happen anyway. Politically of course 45 hoped that reality check could wait until after his hoped for by him reelection. 

Back to my short lived financial industry days --

Bulls make money

Bears make money

Pigs get slaughtered

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, digibum said:

Hmmm . . . the opinion of every respected virologist OR some random guy on the internet. 

Tough call here folks. 

So virologists don't think proper sanitation is key? I'd love to hear about some of these virologists you speak of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

Uhm, because Trump finally did the right thing and quit trying to deflect and ignore something that might kill tens of thousands of people and wreak havoc on the US and world economy? 

The market's negative reaction was the entire world collectively saying that they didn't think he was doing enough.

Are you referring to the flight restrictions Trump implemented in January?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Oh, it's all about "personal responsibility" is it?

Consider a scenario that plays out routinely in the real world.  You are a minimum wage worker in food service.  You have no health insurance and no paid sick leave.  You've been feeling under the weather lately, but you have bills to pay and mouths to feed.  Covid-19 testing is unavailable and you can't afford to visit a doctor's office.

What is the responsible thing to do:  Play it safe, stay home, and let bills go unpaid and children go unfed?  Or tough it out an hope for the best?

This is a situation where help from the government would be greatly appreciated.  It also might help stem the pandemic.

No, I refuse to accept your dishonest characterization. I never said "it's all about personal responsibility". But that is certainly the first place to look. Upon you correcting your dishonest characterization, we can continue.

Now, as for your fictional anecdote: The rich get richer because they continue to do that which makes them rich. The poor get poorer because they continue to do that which makes them poor. Once that poor person gets some ethics, handles their money better, gets educated and moves up in the world, they too can become a decent member of society who doesn't spread disease then blame others for them doing so. What a pity you have chosen to side with such ethical lapses, though certainly not surprising at all.

Finally, why on Earth does a person with such a lousy job reproduce?????? Talk about irresponsibility and lack of ethics!

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
   23 minutes ago,  spidermike007 said: 

It seems these days, the only ones playing down this epidemic, and the need for testing are followers, supporters, and devotees of the fake orange master.

The total numbers can be dramatically reduced, if an infection is detected, and the person then engages in self isolation. If you do not know you are infected, the disease keeps getting spread and the numbers go up exponentially. This is common sense stuff.

I do agree the media is creating a frenzy. But, this epidemic is NOT HYPE. It is very real. So, let me understand this. Your fake master can hurl insults at whoever he wants, and it does not bother you one iota. He can continue with his daily tirades, and continue inventing his schoolyard names for all of his adversaries. No problem with you. But, when someone who does not care for him or his policies calls him a name, we are infantile, but he is not? Fascinating bit of reasoning there. I do not consider his followers to be evil. But, I would say many fall into the category of devotees. 

As the number of cases rise to over 2,300 with over 50 deaths, the US has just been elevated to #7, in terms of the lIst of total deaths. #8 in terms of the list of total cases. So much of this could  have been avoided had pandemic office of the CDC not been dismantled by Bolton and Trump and folded into the office of WMD. Bizarre. Who would do that? Why would they do that? To call it irresponsible and foolhardy would be quite an understatement. 

The voters will decide in November. And it is my prediction they will decide enough of the nonsense, incompetence and thin skinned churlishness. Let's go Joe/Amy. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As the number of cases rise to over 2,300 with over 50 deaths, the US has just been elevated to #7, in terms of the lIst of total deaths. #8 in terms of the list of total cases. So much of this could  have been avoided had pandemic office of the CDC not been dismantled by Bolton and Trump and folded into the office of WMD. Bizarre. Who would do that? Why would they do that? To call it irresponsible and foolhardy would be quite an understatement. 

Trump only closed down its Whitehouse offices 

The USA CDC did not get dismantled, its still active 

https://www.cdc.gov/

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Trump only closed down its Whitehouse offices 

The USA CDC did not get dismantled, its still active 

https://www.cdc.gov/

Let's look at how well that worked out:

" In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.   https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

I posted this before, but disagreeable facts don't always register on some people.

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You posted " Thank you for your part in showing two different mentalities. Yours: personal responsibility, common sense, being aware and taking action. "  Should I have posted "So it's all about personal responsibility, common sense, being aware and taking action"?  Would that have altered the meaning of the rest of my post?

My anecdote was not fictional.  People with no benefits avoid seeing doctors if at all possible.  People without paid sick leave work when they are sick.  I've been there.  Have you?

As to the rest of your rant against poor people, I won't answer.  I'll just imagine a world in which you have to do your own stoop labor to grow food, shovel manure in pig pens/chicken coops/feed lots, and clean toilets/outhouses.  Most of us live comfortable lives because poor people do the work we won't. 

Ah yes, another leftist who cares so much about the poor, he's willing to see to it some other guy pays whatever it takes to make the poor person's life better. Mark me down as unimpressed. And I'll mark you down as unable to rebut the moral aspects of knowingly infecting others out of selfishness and irresponsibility. But hey, it's those damn companies that don't offer sick leave!

5 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Ah yes, another leftist who cares so much about the poor, he's willing to see to it some other guy pays whatever it takes to make the poor person's life better. Mark me down as unimpressed. And I'll mark you down as unable to rebut the moral aspects of knowingly infecting others out of selfishness and irresponsibility. But hey, it's those damn companies that don't offer sick leave!

so you'll more probably be infected by a poor.. who does'nt deserve your solidarity

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

No, your characterization is once again dishonest. I pointed out your desire to help the poor, in addition to their lack of morals, ethics and sense of responsibility. Unlike you, I am happy to discuss any aspect of their failings instead of blaming others for their actions.

My characterization is correct and specific.  Which is why you won't address the specifics.  Just as you haven't addressed my specifically calling BS on your comparing Obama's response to the mild swine flu pandemic to Trump's flailing with Covid-19.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You are accusing of ignoring when you posted that before .

The reality is that I didnt see when you previously posted it .

Any anyway , I was reply to a post that stated Trump dismantled the entire CDC , which he didnt do 

No, he just crippled it.  No biggie, right?  Oh wait, it was a big deal, and a tragic mistake.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

No, he just crippled it.  No biggie, right?  Oh wait, it was a big deal, and a tragic mistake.

Do you think that they would have been able to stop the virus from entering USA ?

What could/would they have done to prevent corona from entering the USA ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Do you think that they would have been able to stop the virus from entering USA ?

I think, assuming they worked for an administration that listened to and respected the advice of experts, they could have made more testing kits available sooner and slowed down the spread of the virus.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

That's right, set up an unreasonable standard, as though it were the only one. The goal should be mitigation. Like this:

Taiwan has millions of visitors from China and only 45 coronavirus cases. Here’s how.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/10/21171722/taiwan-coronavirus-china-social-distancing-quarantine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Travel bans just don't work!"

They aren't about health. They are about xenophobic politics, finding scapegoats, and deflecting blame from bad decisions of local leaders (45!).

Thailand is making the same sorts of mistakes. Very little testing. Too slow on measures that DO work. Playing the xenophobic travel ban political blame game.

Who had severe travel bans? ITALY.

Italy was the only country in Europe that did an early ban on flights from China. Now Italy has the most severe virus problem in Europe. 

Again they do not work! 

Edited by Jingthing