U.S. judge orders WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning released from prison

webfact

They should lock it up and throw away the key. In my book treachery is the worst crime commitable. Everybody knows that when you sign on the dotted line for military service, you do as you're told, regardless of your personal beliefs.

• Sad 8

45 minutes ago, whimsicalmike said:

If is their duty to disobey an unlawful command wouldn't it also be their duty to wistleblow on the hierarchy if they are conducting unlawful activities and or ordering others to do so ???????

If you believe they are unlawful. Personally I don't agree with a massive data dump just to embarrass - who cares if Clinton called Sanders a "doofus" for criticising the Paris climate change agreement? Who is really surprised that all governments spy on all governments, friend or foe?

For those that have never heard about them, look up the Pentagon Papers, that to me was justified whistleblowing. 

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

They should lock it up and throw away the key. In my book treachery is the worst crime commitable. Everybody knows that when you sign on the dotted line for military service, you do as you're told, regardless of your personal beliefs.

When you sign for the military check your brain at the door and be prepared to believe any <deleted> they feed you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The Wikileaks  activity was motivated more by a need for attention than a desire for justice or social conscience. I don't believe that the   gender reassignment has resolved the  deep inner issues this person has. She still  craves attention and is  deeply troubled.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

I'm about as liberal and left-wing as you can be, and put a great value on our (U.S.) right to free speech, but IMO, there's a distinct line between charged with espionage for leaking secret military files, which is what Manning was convicted of, and "whistle-blowing." Whistle-blowing, to me, is revealing illegal activities. As far as I know of the case, no activities that were revealed in the secret military files were illegal. Outrageous and shameful? Yes, but illegal? No.

Same goes for Edward Snowden. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, johng said:

We where only following orders ?

This isn't a case of not following orders as Pvt Manning was not issued nor refused orders which he believed to be illegal. 

Pvt Manning disagreed with US policies and activities so rather than running it up the chain of command, he conspired with a foreign entity (Wikileaks) to transfer classified information.  By law, that is a traitorous act.

Chelsey was released this month this because the Judge did not feel that further jail time would change her attitude about cooperation.

He did not remove the $256,000 in penalties Chelsea still owes for refusing to testify.

• Thanks 2

On 3/13/2020 at 2:00 AM, Benmart said:

There are many good judges. I suppose a good judge is one a person agrees with, and a not so good one is the opposite.

I agree there are alot of good judges. But disagree with your  assessment, but understand that you're referring to what the ignorant masses consider to be good judges. 

A good judge is one whom objectively weighs the facts and evidence and follows the law to make rulings...despite personal beliefs, opinions, religion or political agendas. 

25 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Don't you mean 'heroine'?  more a traitor I'd say

I dont think he was a traitor qua traitor, just a sad, confused mentally ill person who craves attention.

• Like 1

Yes, she, considering her young age at that time, was confused and yes, sad. Confused over her gender identity and sad over the predicament she found herself in. Alone, untutored, feeling the whole world weighing on her shoulders, and in desperation turned to people with different agenda and motive. Nevertheless, the world needed to know what Manning wanted to disclose (starting with "Collateral Murder" and henceforth) and for that I'm grateful.

Is she a traitor? Depending on what people think she has done - as proclaimed loud and clear on this thread so far. Somehow folks are quick to jump on that bandwagon to attack someone who doesn't fit their norms and yet had the balls (pun intended) to do what many of them dare not in a thousand lifetimes. They also play loose on what defines "traitor". Trump deferred to Putin and put down what the US intelligence had found to safeguard US democracy, for one that fits the definition. What had Manning done to hurt Americans, ultimately, scraping scales off their eyes? What method she had to recourse to was the mistake she made, should she be punished for that, maybe; but in light of the deed she has done for our sake, she should at least retain her liberty. And for that, my hat off to the judge.

Am not worrying about the fines, Manning, as she has survived multiple incarcerations (along with her own suicide attempts) so far will certainly find a way. At this point I am somehow reminded of Joan Baez (remember her?) On the way to jail over one of her anti-war demonstrations, she told her fans: "Don't worry I'll be fine - I've got myself a boiled egg."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1