COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

23 hours ago, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

The US is a hotspot now, with over 3,000 cases. Thailand is very safe in comparison. I doubt you will have a problem getting into the US. The immigration guy might even ask you why you are coming. I canceled my trip for now. Was supposed to go this weekend. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Oh...one more thing. Look for usual routes within airports to the US gates to be altered to account for the temp checks.

I had to walk nearly halfway back through the airport to find the entrance to the US boarding areas.  We're extra special...don't ya know. /sarcasm/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Where do you get that from?

Its hogwash!

It's not!! It's literally all over the UK press/twitter

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1255370/coronavirus-uk-elderly-boris-johnson-robert-peston-covid-19-coronavirus-latest-news

many more sources if you look around

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

just to be clear, this is "travelers from" not "nationals of", yes?

I need to enter on a US passport coming form Cambodia in about 10 days. Haven't been in the US for a year...

That's a good question, I have a UK passport but will have been in the Philippines for six weeks by the time I come to fly back to Bangkok on 30th March.

I very much suspect that the bureaucracy will catch all, and that any check-in counter/border control post will say it doesn't matter whether or not I've been in the UK, it's the passport that decides, so I must have a doctor's certificate that I'm COVID-19 free. 

I'd be very surprised if that doesn't prove to be the case - assuming of course that things don't change radically again between now and the 30th - which they almost certainly will.

• Like 2

I understand there’s an app for reporting your health twice a day. 

Does anyone know what is required for reporting all the places you’ve been?

Are they looking for a comprehensive list of every GoGo bar I’ve been to on a night out? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

i would like to know how safe are domestic flights from bangkok to other parts of thailand and how safe are transport in coaches ,mini buses  

I live bkk and just now Jetstar cancelled my flights in April to Oz. I will now travel within Thailand and will use planes and taxi personally would skip minibus for few reasons. Next week Koh Samed (taxi) will be very different landscape without Chinese.

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

It's not!! It's literally all over the UK press/twitter

I'm home in the UK right now and there's nothing on the BBC about this. You believe what the Express says? You shouldn't.

However, read the article carefully - nowhere does it say this is going to be imposed.  Its a play on words - often used by the tabloids......here's a few clues from the article:

'according to reports.'

'The Government is set to mobilise'

'They form a series of proposals'

If, at some future point, this proposal is brought in, it is likely to be advisory rather than mandatory. To make it a requirement would require some not impossible but pretty major legislation. The UK is not a police state and is not under a state of emergency (yet).

Edit:

The BBC has just reported this as a 'claim' by the Express - 8:30am.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm home in the UK right now and there's nothing on the BBC about this. You believe what the Express says? You shouldn't.

However, read the article carefully - nowhere does it say this is going to be imposed.  Its a play on words - often used by the tabloids......here's a few clues from the article:

'according to reports.'

'The Government is set to mobilise'

'They form a series of proposals'

If, at some future point, this proposal is brought in, it is likely to be advisory rather than mandatory. To make it a requirement would require some not impossible but pretty major legislation. The UK is not a police state and is not under a state of emergency (yet).

Edit:

The BBC has just reported this as a 'claim' by the Express - 8:30am.

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak

·

2m

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told Sky News the Government will set out in the coming weeks when it is "necessary" for the elderly and vulnerable to "shield" themselves from COVID-19 by self-isolation adding those aged over 70s could potentially be asked to do so for months

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The Nation Enquirer featured a London bus on the moon. Looks like the moon is the world's rubbish tip!

Seriously though the Express is a fantasy magazine for mentally challenged Tories, not a newspaper.

I'm sure you are an avid Retardian reader.......yawn

13 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has told Sky News the Government will set out in the coming weeks when it is "necessary" for the elderly and vulnerable to "shield" themselves from COVID-19 by self-isolation adding those aged over 70s could potentially be asked to do so for months

Slightly different to your original post which, if you need a reminder read:

'You are wrong there, the UK is quarantining every person over 70 years old for 4 months!'

As I said previously, if these measures are introduced, they are likely to be advisory rather than mandatory - in much the same way that those who have Covid 19 like symptoms are only advised to self isolate for 7 days.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Logosone said:

These guys are trying to explain it by the fact that influenza is not seasonal in Thailand, like in the West. It doesn't appear at specific times, but year round, though there are peaks.

This could provide the Thais with better immunity.

Alternatively they just don't record death causes as accurately.

"Although there were peaks in influenza-associated mortality in Thailand during 2006 through 2011, they were not consistent in their timing. This is in contrast to trends observed in temperate climates and likely reflects the year-round circulation of influenza viruses which may attenuate any seasonal mortality pattern. The majority of deaths from seasonal influenza occurred among people aged 65 year or older, but in the pandemic, the proportion of deaths among younger persons increased. This may suggest that there was some immunologic protection in persons who were exposed to A(H1N1) viruses before the 1957 pandemic, as has been demonstrated in other countries"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4605410/

In the north of Thailand there are two different flu vaccines given at different times.  One for norther hemisphere and one for the southern.  That would suggest it is two different flu .

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Slightly different to your original post which, if you need a reminder read:

'You are wrong there, the UK is quarantining every person over 70 years old for 4 months!'

semantics, you were claiming it was hogwash!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-live-update-uk-symptoms-cases-map-deaths-latest-tips-a9402696.html

Over-70s to be asked to self-isolate for up to four months soon

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, has said people aged over 70 will be asked to self-isolate for up to four months in the coming weeks in order to protect them from Covid-19.

Edited by Canuck1966

2 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

semantics, you were claiming it was hogwash!

Your claim WAS hogwash. Its not semantics at all. The government has many proposals on the table - some may be introduced, some may not. Your post stated that the measures were happening and that they were for 4 months.

At the moment, in the style you posted it is simply fake news.

• Confused 1