COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

The news comes as Thailand on Saturday announced seven new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of reported cases in the country to 82. The new cases included people who had recently returned from Japan.

My wife is informing me through her social media that the virus is here in Isaan country, I wonder what is the real number of cases? I believe the number is higher than the government is telling us. 

9 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I completely concur with your assessment. With over 25% of its tourists coming from china and the fact that for someone to have a fever is not classed as abnormal especially in children.

I have always said that the children here have to spend 10% of there youth in a sick state until they get the immunities necessary to combat the various viruses that often occur here.

The times i have heard 'oh he has fever'

They all share the same cup and glass when drinking, whether it be water or whiskey and

share the same spoon when eating

The place is a viruses heaven in the making 

Just think of all the buffets they cleaned out and left remnants for all else....

4 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The news comes as Thailand on Saturday announced seven new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of reported cases in the country to 82. The new cases included people who had recently returned from Japan.

My wife is informing me through her social media that the virus is here in Isaan country, I wonder what is the real number of cases? I believe the number is higher than the government is telling us. 

32 more cases reported Today DUNROAMIN

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

They all share the same cup and glass when drinking, whether it be water or whiskey and

share the same spoon when eating

The place is a viruses heaven in the making 

All of which makes a nonsense of the claimed figures for Thailand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

It's a very moot point how many cases there are in Thailand. If it's true coronavirus does best in cold climates, Thailand's hot climate may be slowing it down. On the other hand, government figures may be false.

it's difficult to tell if Thai public hospitals are inundated with coronavirus patients, because they are normally flat chat most days.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, stephenterry said:

Countrywide proactive preventative measures is a foreign language to these face-saving ministerial reactionaries. God help us all.

It actually is not. In my small village once or twice a month nurses come with motorbike and make blood pressure tests and take temperature or check blood sugar. Thailand is in many things much more proactive than "western countries" ... however the current government seems not to be adequate capable for a crisis like this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Giving the benefit of the doubt even if the reporting is complete and accurate the numbers MUST be higher because of limited testing. Similar issue in the U.S. but probably much worse there at this point.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

No doctor or hospital is going to have the time to issue a certificate if you are not exhibiting any signs of the disease, this is also the case in Thailand, my company asked this to get clearance for the people working offshore, we were to told to go forth and multiply.

thats what I thought... do you think I can still travel and return without a certificate? I can isolate when I return to Pattaya no problem!

On 3/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, AlienHermit66 said:

if you are coughing like crazy or sweating when you get off the plane, you will be nabbed and taken to a hospital for observation. 

Oh, that is good news! I assumed they had a ditch prepared ...

On 3/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Also, It doesn't contaminate by direct airborne contamination

It does. How do you come to that retarded idea? Sitting in a taxi and breathing the breath of the driver or an other passenger is enough. Just like with basically every virus. Why do you think it is spreading so fast?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, mbenson said:

Yes,but why then do Malaysia and Singapore have over twice as many cases as Thailand? Both have lower populations than Thailand and I believe far fewer foreign visitors. It doesn't add up. Hence, I question the notion that the climate is making this much difference. I believe that Thailand is under reporting, either intentionally or because they have not been able to the testing required to get it right.

As for the "wai" hypothesis, they sure seem to share a lot of glasses and cigarettes... Handshakes are not the only form of intimate social contact.

Sharing glasses? Never seen that.

Singapore is a business and tourist center, and a hub for plane travel, many routes take a stop there. On top of that the city is a perfect breeding ground like BKK or Hongkong or well ... the two cities in China where it originated.

22 hours ago, DavisH said:

And did your wife ask this doctor for the evidence of widespread infection?

My wife lives in Isaan, her brother in BKK. Word of mouth is that the temples burn 15 dead from corona every day since weeks ... however she has no proof of that. Might be gossip aka rumours only.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 4:36 PM, nightfox said:

Is Thailand just waiting to become the next Italy and south Korea???.....This is one ticking time bomb. But in typical Thai action they will wait until the death toll climbs significantly here and there is thousands of infections before they will decide to suspend all flights all bar all entries from Europe and USA. Its about time for once for Thailand put their people first ahead of the Bhat....But we all know that it wont happen

And shouldn't foreigners live in Thailand 

On 3/14/2020 at 8:36 AM, nightfox said:

Is Thailand just waiting to become the next Italy and south Korea???.....This is one ticking time bomb. But in typical Thai action they will wait until the death toll climbs significantly here and there is thousands of infections before they will decide to suspend all flights all bar all entries from Europe and USA. Its about time for once for Thailand put their people first ahead of the Bhat....But we all know that it wont happen

I foresee a very large amount of denial hitting the buffers at a very great speed soon ????

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:58 PM, mbenson said:

Yes,but why then do Malaysia and Singapore have over twice as many cases as Thailand? Both have lower populations than Thailand and I believe far fewer foreign visitors. It doesn't add up. Hence, I question the notion that the climate is making this much difference. I believe that Thailand is under reporting, either intentionally or because they have not been able to the testing required to get it right.

As for the "wai" hypothesis, they sure seem to share a lot of glasses and cigarettes... Handshakes are not the only form of intimate social contact.

In 2019, Singapore had 7.8mill tourists. Not a lot compared to Thailand. But, as per percentage of population....Singapore population 5.7mill. Plus Changi airport is a huge hub for international travellers, either visiting or transiting.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:16 PM, EricTh said:

I can bet these people will just ignore the quarantine just like they didn't want to take the masks from Anutin.

They came to Thailand to enjoy life and not be cooped up in a small hotel room for 14 days. LOL.

What is more practical is to force them to apply for a tourist visa with medical cert. No more visa exempt until the pandemic is gone.

hum...Kindly enlighten me:

1) where is it (officially) written that masks are compulsory? I think it has been made clear by the WHO that the masks should be worn by people at risk (please check) and the health workers. If that had been listened to, maybe there would be no shortage of masks...

2) Why do you think so little of people. Also I think that the people planning to come here (Thailand) on holidays may have changed their plans. Not to mention that I have personally witnessed two cases of self quarantine... and these two families got stuck at home for the fortnight (ending tonight): not easy but they did it.

3) Sorry but, who is qualified to deliver such a a mentioned certificate, not withstanding the fact that one can contract it after the examination

I do feel that Thailand is taking a much more appropriate approach than the lockdown countries ( it will work though, but over drastically managed) 

Teaching people to manage their daily lives and stay away of  the virus by social distancing, and wash it off is more sensible but you will answer ( sorry to put words in your mouth) ... people do not care about advices unless they are enforced on them.

Of course if Thailand go for lockdown, then we will have to follow theses rules 

• Haha 1

I just arrived back in Canada 9 hour ago, travelled via Tai Pai, and Vancouver

At Tai Pai, many people wore face masks, as I did, butat Vancouver, only ustravellers,

from Asia wore masks, and not all of them even wore the masks, so

it is notonly Thai peoplewho still do not tzke the virus threat

seriously. Goad that I do not have to fly anywhere for the next few months.

Geezer

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

Don't be so sure that you will be able to get back. This situation is fast changing. I was about to go to Spain only to find that planes were being turned away and the place is in total lockdown - in case you are not up to speed on this, it means the only time you are allowed out of the house is if you are an emergency worker with ID or you are going to the nearest grocery store - no kidding!

Also, you may find that as soon as all the USA citizens get home, there may be very little travelling abroad and not many flights available. YOu may also be caught up in restrictions on traveling within the USA. As things are being reported, you stand a bigger chance of being infected in parts of the USA than in SE Asia. Also, there is always the chance that the USA will impose a ban on planes arriving from Japan or other part of Asia, as they did with European countries without notice.

The best advice for anyone is not to travel unless absolutely necessary until at least some of this blows over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finspin said:

Hi everyone, 

just joined TV. Been an avid reader of this site for a few years, really enjoyed the knowledge and banter. Currently packing for my 5th trip to Pattaya, departing tomorrow from London.

i hope for a trouble free trip and entry into Thailand, if not I will endure. Looking forward to meeting old friends and making new ones. The world is a little crazy at the moment. I’d rather do that crazy in Pattaya 

I am due to fly to BKK from Glasgow on Wednesday but am now looking at cancelling after the latest requirements came out.  Advice from the Thai government website is that for the first 14 days in the country, you have to get permission from the authorities if you want to leave your hotel as well as reporting your health/temperature twice a day.    And I've just heard from a friend in Thailand that the authorities are looking at closing down all the bars 

I am in the USA now scheduled to return on the 28-March.  The situation in the US is ever changing and frankly somewhat chaotic.  I talked to my sister who is a practicing doctor in Washington State and she said many physicians are symptomatic but can't get tested.

This morning I've decided to cut the USA trip short and get back to Thailand where I live ASAP.  I am concerned about getting stuck in the USA.  I will report any issues encountered during my trip home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see they say you must wear a mask.............. waste of  time I  would ignore anything they say they are clueless cant even wipe their fingerprint  scanner after EVERY  arrival..every 10 minutes, waste of  time  rather listen to someone who actually  has some real facts not the total and utter  <deleted>  issued by Mickey Mouse  govts

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I just arrived back in Canada 9 hour ago, travelled via Tai Pai, and Vancouver

At Tai Pai, many people wore face masks, as I did, butat Vancouver, only ustravellers,

from Asia wore masks, and not all of them even wore the masks, so

it is notonly Thai peoplewho still do not tzke the virus threat

seriously. Goad that I do not have to fly anywhere for the next few months.

Geezer

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-actually-work

4 hours ago, alyx said:

hum...Kindly enlighten me:

1) where is it (officially) written that masks are compulsory? I think it has been made clear by the WHO that the masks should be worn by people at risk (please check) and the health workers. If that had been listened to, maybe there would be no shortage of masks...

2) Why do you think so little of people. Also I think that the people planning to come here (Thailand) on holidays may have changed their plans. Not to mention that I have personally witnessed two cases of self quarantine... and these two families got stuck at home for the fortnight (ending tonight): not easy but they did it.

3) Sorry but, who is qualified to deliver such a a mentioned certificate, not withstanding the fact that one can contract it after the examination

I do feel that Thailand is taking a much more appropriate approach than the lockdown countries ( it will work though, but over drastically managed) 

Teaching people to manage their daily lives and stay away of  the virus by social distancing, and wash it off is more sensible but you will answer ( sorry to put words in your mouth) ... people do not care about advices unless they are enforced on them.

Of course if Thailand go for lockdown, then we will have to follow theses rules 

More to  point  in the long  term ASIA needs  to close down and stop their close  association with animals, wet markets etc etc................will that  happen.........?nahhhhhhhh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

I am in the USA now scheduled to return on the 28-March.  The situation in the US is ever changing and frankly somewhat chaotic.  I talked to my sister who is a practicing doctor in Washington State and she said many physicians are symptomatic but can't get tested.

This morning I've decided to cut the USA trip short and get back to Thailand where I live ASAP.  I am concerned about getting stuck in the USA.  I will report any issues encountered during my trip home.

I live not just in Washington State but about 5km from the epicenter in Kirkland, WA where the first mass cases started showing up.  It is very crazy here.  I would advise to get out now before flights are cancelled.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Far less of the virus here than in either your home country or mine.

We really dont know that !

The more a country tests its citizens , the more accurate the data becomes , but some nations are testing far more than others.

South Korea has tested 200,000 , the UK 40,000 , Thailand we dont know because no testing numbers have been published.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 4:30 PM, KhaoYai said:

I guess the only way we'll get to know exactly what the situation is, is when people report their experiences on arrival.

Edited Saturday at 04:52 PM by KhaoYai

Well if no one else reports before, i'll let you all know. my daughter is supposed to arrive on 20th from UK ????

On 3/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, GeorgeCross said:

i can't see all the backpackers self-quarantining

or their hostels appreciate being turned into makeshift quarantine centers either

they tried this with a hotel in tenerife with 700 guests ordered to stay in their rooms. following day 240 of them were counted swimming and sunbathing by the pool. and they were older crowd!

Apart from travellers from countries such as China,  South Korea ect that need to self quarantine the others need to monitor and record their health so it's not quite as you've suggested.