Pattaya: Makro full of shoppers as Thais and foreigners stock up on food items

webfact

Pattaya: Makro full of shoppers as Thais and foreigners stock up on food items

3pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media reported that shops and markets in Pattaya were full of people yesterday buying items like rice and dry goods that could easily be prepared into food. 

As coronavirus cases spiked to 114, media 77kaoded said that Makro and local markets were full of foreigners and Thais.

They published pictures of lines at Makro, Pattaya. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-16
  • Sad 2

My trip to Makro today was a breeze from a preppers point of view.

I was the only fruitcake stocking up. I asked my girlfriend if the peasants are aware of the impending doom, or do they just not give a f#+$.

No worries, at least we farang will die with clean bums.

13 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I went to my local supermarket yesterday and the only items left on the shelves were peanuts, potato chips and beer. I have now been forced into self-isolation for the next 3 months... 

Where is it? I need to do some stockpiling for self isolation!

looks like a quiet day at our Makro. I'd love to see it like this.

As far as panic setting in, I should have taken a snap of our last visit. It was nuts!

Here's a video from the States. Costco is one of the popular "wholesale" shops.

Here's a crowded Makro:  

IMG_4891.JPG

Edited by Curt1591

57 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I went normal (not panic buying) grocery shopping yesterday, Macro, tops and big C, happy to report that the shelves are full and there is no sign of large crowds or panic buying etc. If anything the number of people out and about doing shopping is probably less than usual.

The photo of Macro above is how Macro always looks, its a bulk food warehouse where people buy in bulk, if anything there are less queues than usual.

A seriously irresponsible report that will only serve to create a panic buying situation where none exists at the moment.

You been here how long, and you still can't spell Makro 

There is no need to panic buy anything! Get ahead on your medicines, but don't go nuts. I was in Friendship today on S.Pattaya and the man behind me WAS actually buying several packs of toilet paper because he heard that others where hoarding it. I told him that this only happened in the US. Besides, we have the bum sprayers here. Not so in the US. Our system is simply to dry ourselves here, unlike in the US. Our system is much more hygienic than in the US. Relax and don't panic.

3 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

true i was there yesterday people shopping as normal

I was there this morning. Same report. The only "abnormal" thing I saw was that they were out of the major brands of toilet paper; such as Zilk, Cellox, and giant size rolls of Scott. But the number of shoppers, and the inventory of other items all seemed quite normal to me. 

I should also add that they had girls at the entrance checking everyone's temperature before entering. They were using the units with "no touch" sensors. Sensible, non-intrusive move my Makro, IMO. 

Edited by patsfangr
Added a note on temperature testing.

Today went to Tesco Lotus, TOPS and BigC. All very busy as if its payday weekend and this a Monday morning. Some items have run out like mama, some cereals, eggs, some canned goods. Cheese amd other western food is still plentiful other than the eggs. 

20200316_100733.jpg

20200316_101239.jpg

20200316_103921.jpg

20200316_124503.jpg

20200316_124516.jpg

• Thanks 2

Wife went to Makro Sukumvit Pattaya this morning around 10:am, car park was mostly full but she found a spot easily.

She said inside the shop was no busier than normal for a Monday morning at this time, shelves well stocked and no gaps on the shelves.  

• Like 2

Panic at my local bigC sunday evening. Just to be fashionable, a bulk pack of toilet tissue here and there, but eggs and cooking oil were hot items. I sneaked back later before closing time and did my token panic shopping. One of the staff was handing out packs of fresh donuts to any full shopping cart coming out of the line. Since I was pushing no cart, no cigars. Might stop by Makro later today to get a sense of "panic."

big_C.jpg

Pan-ic.JPG