Alternative to alcohol based hand gels?

CMoldie

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

Okay, we seem to be at odds over this, so this is worthwhile considering....... 

Once someone has applied the alcohol-based hand gel to the hands, it is supposed to kill the virus/germs, and once the alcohol has evaporated, which takes approximately 15 seconds, it is no longer active against the bugs.

So sanitiser on the hands is a once off thing until you touch something else, say 15 seconds later, so moisturiser is not going to make any difference whatsoever, apart from possibly reducing irritation as in the OPs post.

There is mixed evidence (but generally very favourable) on the non-alcohol-based hand sanitisers which often use benzylkonium chloride as the bug killing agent, or indeed triclosan, and there are even some like this that have moisturiser included. There are even some antibacterial wipes which are alcohol free and purport to do the same job.

Anyway, with the amount of people I see walking around the shopping malls here with small bottles of water tucked in their trousers, pouches, small backpacks, then it would be no problem whatsoever to dampen a tissue, or indeed use a non-alcohol/antibacterial wipe – – plenty of choices.

I was under the misapprehension that the purpose of hand sanitisers was to protect one from the Coronavirus and as such, wondered for how long. As explained above, it only lasts for 15 seconds and the purpose is to kill the virus you may already have picked up, not to prevent a new contact. thank you for that information.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Stick to soap and water, and give surgical gloves a try.

Any chemical that does the same as the alcohol will probably cause the same amount of irritation.

This is the correct answer.

Buy a couple 100-count boxes of nitrile gloves on lazada, carry 2-3 pairs when you go out and dispose as necessary.  They'll protect you better than just soap or sanitkzer.

Think "Hand Condoms!"

What about Detol liquid mixed with water or Hydrogen Peroxide 6% mixed with 50% water in spray bottle..

I am not a chemist so am just asking. My experience working in West Africa is that Detol kills about everything but straight it burns the skin.. I can still find hydrogen peroxide available and have been using it to disinfect the bathroom for a few years. Did internet search (duck duck go) and what I read is peroxide does kill virus, what's sold in USA is 3% what's sold here is 6%, needs to be cut with sterile water.  Didn't see anything about Detol but have been using that stuff for years and it has not killed me yet.

Edited by yankyoakum
added info

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's still soap. He needs to rinse the soap off with water.

A moisturizer tends to defeat the purpose of the exercise, which keeping hands clean/sterile.

There are bathrooms everywhere.  Just carry a bar of soap and when you need to wash your hands go into any decent hotel or office building and use their bathroom. 

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

when you need to wash your hands go into any decent hotel or office building and use their bathroom.

I've noticed for the thirty years I've been spending time in Thailand that as a farang you will never, ever be challenged walking into the lobby of any 4-, 5- or 6-star hotel in Bangkok and using the bathrooms that are off their lobbies

I am thankful I have an unlimited flow of the strong acidic (non-chemical) pH2.5 water from our medical water generator -- this provides us with all our needs for sanitizers, disinfectants, mouth washes, meat sanitizer (killing all pathogens like Ecoli, salmonella), antiseptic for wounds -- esp usefult o stop bleeding...etc.. please see the pic I am posting --Message me if you need more info on this. It's the best investment you could make for using the science of water in the seven different pH levels for internal and external healthcare. The 9.5pH provides rapid cellular hydration with its properties in molecular hydrogen and rich antioxidants..  Will be happy to answer queries and provide information about this certified medical device for home use.  

kangen mouthwash.jpg

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I use sugar free listerine mouth wash... if its good enough to keep me doodle pox free its good enough for me hands too !!

Ummm.... how do you apply the sugar free listerine mouth wash to your pox free doodle?

Edited by jany123

13 minutes ago, Addonvalue said:

I am thankful I have an unlimited flow of the strong acidic (non-chemical) pH2.5 water from our medical water generator -- this provides us with all our needs for sanitizers, disinfectants, mouth washes, meat sanitizer (killing all pathogens like Ecoli, salmonella), antiseptic for wounds -- esp usefult o stop bleeding...etc.. please see the pic I am posting --Message me if you need more info on this. It's the best investment you could make for using the science of water in the seven different pH levels for internal and external healthcare. The 9.5pH provides rapid cellular hydration with its properties in molecular hydrogen and rich antioxidants..  Will be happy to answer queries and provide information about this certified medical device for home use.  

kangen mouthwash.jpg

Been proven to be "junk science".

What’s more, you simply can’t change the pH of your body by drinking alkaline water. “Your body regulates its [blood] pH in a very narrow range because all our enzymes are designed to work at pH 7.4. If our pH varied too much we wouldn’t survive".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

This is the correct answer.

Buy a couple 100-count boxes of nitrile gloves on lazada, carry 2-3 pairs when you go out and dispose as necessary.  They'll protect you better than just soap or sanitkzer.

Think "Hand Condoms!"

I fully understand why the WHO and medical professionals are claiming that gloves are of little use... everything they say is logical, and the dangers of complacency from believing that gloves will help, seems very real

can you, or someone else touting glove use, attempt to explain how / why the professionals are wrong, as they do not agree with you.

4 minutes ago, jany123 said:

I fully understand why the WHO and medical professionals are claiming that gloves are of little use... everything they say is logical, and the dangers of complacency from believing that gloves will help, seems very real

can you, or someone else touting glove use, attempt to explain how / why the professionals are wrong, as they do not agree with you.

I wasn't aware of the WHO position on gloves but a problem I can think of is that people are just as likely to touch their faces with or without gloves. Also people are more likely to wash their hands or sanitize more often than they change their gloves. Of course if you're constantly changing your gloves that would be different. 

• Like 2